Brandon Tarr

BigG

I am in no intent trying to disparage BigG or CAK Soccer. I've just been listening....and this does have some "similarity" to the Hoosiers Movie that someone alluded to earlier. With Brandon, the team stands a significantly better chance of going all the way. He definitely will add a variable to the team that has been lacking up to this point. Face it, CAK has fewer scoring options when a defense doesn't have to scheme to account for one player that just happens to be the most dangerous player in the State. Tarr does as much damage standing still, as some players do when they are moving. My point is.....he transforms a very solid team back into an elite team. Fair or not,(by the way it is fair, IMO, because he does go to school there!) the rest of us just have to make the best of an already tough situation.

Seems that the bunch from Catholic has no problem with the re-instatement of Tarr because they know they are still in the competition. I was given the indication that they had become so dominant in A-AA, that they would play this season in the Larger Class or possibly in a private division. Hear me out before I become just another "hater"...

I think the schools, staffs, and people who attend CAK (and Catholic) are fine, upstanding, and genuinely warm human beings, but they have been playing with a loaded deck. Don't agree......when is the last time CAK or Catholic didn't finish first in their own District? I believe the answer is never. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Guess which one is going to win again this year.....it's one or the other, so you have a 50% chance of hitting the payola. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Does that mean the other five or six in their conference are bad teams? I wouldn't think so. They seem to compete fine against the other regions in their area. I know this became a whole other debate and take it to the public-private page yada....yada....yada. Now I'm just a "conference whiner".......OK.....name the winner of the last 5 State Championships. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Brandon Tarr's re-instatement to the team, for the rest of us, means are scores are going to go from 3-nil to 7-nil. Either way, we lose, right? Wouldn't it be nice to approach a season in which at the beginning you thought your prospects were just as good as everybody else? Right now that ain't happening! Even a extremely athletic public school (Alcoa) isn't going to get by them. The other day I saw Catholic play Oneida...and it appeared they (Catholic) were trying hard to keep the score down. Final Score: 5-nil /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I suppose we have enough intelligent people involved that can honestly say there isn't a viable solution......OK /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Kazzer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most things in life, it appears there are lessons here for all of us.

First, for those who would hand CAK the state crown, the record books are full of teams who dominate on paper, but lose the match. Brandon played for Crush and they were very good. After he left, they won one or two state championships in club, and are the reigning U18 champs. I??™ve seen on these boards that Alexander Darsinos would have been the best player in the state this year. A great player, no doubt, but they lost in the first round of DII state last year. And, Baylor, the no-name team who lost umpteen Seniors the prior year wins it all by defeating a CBHS team with 12 Seniors. The New York Giants, LSU, Davidson College ??“ you get the picture.

Second, a good friend once told me ???hear the words, but trust the actions???. I??™ve listened to Big G in this forum for the last year. Always sounded like a guy with high integrity and cares about the kids. We (CBHS) had the good fortune of playing CAK last week, and I was interested to now see the actions. The infamous ???corner kick??? will be remembered and debated. But, in the end, it was done in the spirit of the game ??“ which is the first principal they teach you in refereeing. Set that aside, they were great competitors, but even greater sportsmen. That is a reflection of their coach, period. So, I say trust G in leading his team. His actions have proven he is about more than winning or losing. He does what he believes is right and he cares about his kids.

Third, for Brandon and his teammates, there are numerous lessons here of trust, commitment, teammates ??“ fill in the blanks. These decisions by all involved will have consequences, and hopefully they will be positive. But, positive or negative, they will all result in life lessons that will serve them later.

Thanks.

By the way, BigG. Don't agonize over your decision. You seem, IMO, to have covered almost all the bases. Really, who in their right mind wouldn't have done the same thing? All those that opposed your decision, haven't been put in the same situation......they are just telling you what the THINK they would do. Rubbish.

Kazer /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This is my last post on this thread and I guess I want to defend those who have negatively opined.

First of all, please refer back the initiator of this thread and also look at the back page of this morning??™s KNS sports section??¦a story on this very same topic. It is clearly obvious that BigG knew that there would be differing opinions on this subject so why not get it out and get the furor over with? So again, to MVM and others who say this is a private matter, or that its hypocritical because no one knows the whole story ??“ wrong, it has been put on an opinion board and published in the paper by the school via the coach! And please understand: I don??™t disagree with BigG??™s approach on putting it out.

Secondly, for the most part I think posters have given their honest opinions and should be respected for that. Why put something on an opinion board if you aren??™t soliciting opinions? Certainly a couple of comments have been harsh toward this young man??™s commitment, but what do you expect given the on again-off again scenario that has played out? As someone mentioned earlier, I don??™t have a dog in this, but I am a parent of a young adult similar in age, so I do have an opinion. Personally, I disagree with what has transpired. Nothing against Brandon or BigG or CAK. It??™s called living with your decisions, right or wrong. Had he been denied a spot back on the team, it would be known as tough love.

BigG, no one is questioning your humanity or Christianity. No one has accused you or your staff of making a hasty or light-hearted decision. No one has alleged rules violations. The one thing we can all agree on is it certainly is controversial. The question (not that I??™m going to post again) is why do so many people care about this? In general terms (not directed at anyone, in any way shape or form) to me it??™s about motive, integrity, accountability, and responsibility. Again, I would reiterate that the comments aren??™t necessarily and completely directed toward this situation but rather to the precedent set that could be seen as a slippery slope. I suppose we can only accept the answers that have been offered.

Thanks, and good luck on the rest of the season.

Very eloquently spoken......mad dawg!?!? I agree in a lot of respects to your post. Is that coming straight from the Dawg Pound? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> IMO, BigG acted after weighting many variables. Bottom line for allowing Tarr to return, he was never "kicked off", wasn't a distraction for the team, isn't a trouble maker, and had more pros than cons, obviously. Isn't it logical that for a kid that was a bit burnt out on his sport, might want to stop for a while? When he discovered how much he missed the game it appears he acted on his own behalf and would the team consider having him back. They did, the coach did........the rest of us are insignificant in that discision. Right or wrong.....he is playing. G, you can sleep well tonight.

Kazzer

G, I can say that my college team has personally been put in a similar situation. Everyone wants to know what would happen if the kid was not an all-star and did this? G, even then i would still do the same. We had a kid (not a starter) walk out on us right after the conference tourny. First round of Region we had four starters out for fighting (long story and was done wrong) and then he quiet. so five of our original 18 were out and we had to look deep down the bench to win that game. didn't have enough steam next game as we lost without him and three of the four who suspend for fighting. i would have taken him back for second region game. Everyone wanted him back. We are a team. Friends. Don't act like you never did something unjust to a friend and they forgave you and everything was cool.

As i remember CAK has no always had a big name player. Check there first two state titles. I know that regardless of who is on that team, G will field a squad that is capable of beating anyone in the state on any given night. Trust me they didn't win there 5 by just saying they were a better team. They proved it!

Come on people, it's soccer...... I'm still regreting decisions that i made when i was 14. Don't tell me you don't regret a desicion when you were 18 (even more confussing times). In the end it was a desicion about a GAME......

Well I guess I have a different opinion on things, being that I coach in the same region as CAK. Does this make our task of advancing in the playoffs more difficult? Yes, Duh! But I planned on having to get past CAK with Brandon going into the season so now that he is back, we are not just going to give up and go home. We want to compete against the best with their best. If we get out of our district I look forward to another chance to coach against brandon. He's a fun to watch. I also know that Coach Gerlach did not take this decision lightly. He is much more concerned about his players as young men. From the outside, it is easy to always say the right thing and pretend you would do what you think is right. But I'd venture to say almost any team would take back a player like brandon just for his talent on the field. I know that the CAK family weighed this decision based alot more on the person that was wanting to rejoin them.

This is my last post on this thread and I guess I want to defend those who have negatively opined.

First of all, please refer back the initiator of this thread and also look at the back page of this morning??™s KNS sports section??¦a story on this very same topic. It is clearly obvious that BigG knew that there would be differing opinions on this subject so why not get it out and get the furor over with? So again, to MVM and others who say this is a private matter, or that its hypocritical because no one knows the whole story ??“ wrong, it has been put on an opinion board and published in the paper by the school via the coach! And please understand: I don??™t disagree with BigG??™s approach on putting it out.

Secondly, for the most part I think posters have given their honest opinions and should be respected for that. Why put something on an opinion board if you aren??™t soliciting opinions? Certainly a couple of comments have been harsh toward this young man??™s commitment, but what do you expect given the on again-off again scenario that has played out? As someone mentioned earlier, I don??™t have a dog in this, but I am a parent of a young adult similar in age, so I do have an opinion. Personally, I disagree with what has transpired. Nothing against Brandon or BigG or CAK. It??™s called living with your decisions, right or wrong. Had he been denied a spot back on the team, it would be known as tough love.

BigG, no one is questioning your humanity or Christianity. No one has accused you or your staff of making a hasty or light-hearted decision. No one has alleged rules violations. The one thing we can all agree on is it certainly is controversial. The question (not that I??™m going to post again) is why do so many people care about this? In general terms (not directed at anyone, in any way shape or form) to me it??™s about motive, integrity, accountability, and responsibility. Again, I would reiterate that the comments aren??™t necessarily and completely directed toward this situation but rather to the precedent set that could be seen as a slippery slope. I suppose we can only accept the answers that have been offered.

Thanks, and good luck on the rest of the season.

I got you, Mad Dawg. While I disagree with you, I also respect your honesty. As you said, this is a discussion forum.

Akula21, I regard your program very highly. Although NOT out of the realm of possibility, your team will have to play masterfully to unseat CAK and Catholic in the same season. You might take one of them, but to take them both is really asking a lot. I wish you every ounce of luck against them. Because you will have to have a little. (I'm not sure a rabbit's foot in your front pocket will work?!?!)(Highly skilled players with rabbit's feet will probably work better!!!!!) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Big G, no one questions your Christianity or Humility. You are a good man and are highly respected for the class in which you conduct youself and your kids. Most people would do well to follow your example. Enjoy the rest of your season......the Tarr "factor" will help, but I understand your reasoning of bringing him back. These are just kids.

Kazam

Mad Dawg you are spot on with your above post. As far as the "these are just kids" line of thought. BT, a HS Sr, is either 18 or real close. We have 18 year old "kids" getting ready to vote in the fall election. We have 18 year old "kids" serving in combat zones. And we have 18-21 year old "kids" who are DI athletes putting their respective colleges on the sky line almost daily with their actions that are excused by many for the reason that "they are just kids". These same athletes are the ones from elementary school up who have had the rules bent and the standards adjusted for them because they are "special"--gifted with the ability to put a ball in the hoop/net, run a 4.4 forty, throw a ball 90mph, etc. But it's just a little rule and the kid needs a break you say.....that message is seared into the special one's mind and voila at college, we have what we now have--police blotters filled with indiscretions of the "kids". I hope BT does not slip on this slope--he is an exciting player to watch but he's going from big fish/small pond to little fish/lake when he heads to USC. And I have no dog in the fight because the team I follow does not/will not play CAK. That's it from me on this issue.