Off season workout

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Pirate wonders......... can potential players from another off campus middle school participate in an off season high school work out program? OP is just a little fuzzy on this subject.

Good Question OP.

I looked through my by-laws and handbook and didn't find anything directly addressing this.

1. "Schools may use their facilities for students in the building".....

*If a middle schooler hasn't finished middle school, then they aren't students at that high school?

2. If they have finished middle school (ie summer before going to high school); and there is "definite feeder" pattern, then I would say they could in this scenario.

3. If a student-athlete is in the 8th grade, there are ways to remove them from the Middle School eligibilty list and put them on the Senior High eligibilty list, but they forfeit any further middle school play.

That may be all wrong, but that's the way I read it.

Good Question OP.

I looked through my by-laws and handbook and didn't find anything directly addressing this.

1. "Schools may use their facilities for students in the building".....

*If a middle schooler hasn't finished middle school, then they aren't students at that high school?

2. If they have finished middle school (ie summer before going to high school); and there is "definite feeder" pattern, then I would say they could in this scenario.

3. If a student-athlete is in the 8th grade, there are ways to remove them from the Middle School eligibilty list and put them on the Senior High eligibilty list, but they forfeit any further middle school play.

That may be all wrong, but that's the way I read it.

Old Pirate says #1. was what this OP thought... but wasn't sure. If you take it at it's simple wording "schools may use their facilities for students in the building" that elinates participation of students from an off campus school, direct feeder or not. Some locals better be straight on this rule. Some have posted on these boards regarding 8th graders working out with their 9-12 high school. They could find themselves in the dog house real soon. OP knew of some participating in this practice.

Old Pirate this came up with Riverdale about four years ago... I could be wrong but my understanding is you can allow them to use the weight room and condition but they CAN NOT put on the pads and participate in the Spring Practice. Call the TSSAA office and they will give you the correct answer but it seems to me that was the rule 4 or 5 years ago when I asked the same question. If it were me, I certainly would not chance it. The wording about being in the same building applies to K-12 or 7-12 schools where they allow 8th graders on the varsity team.

Old Pirate says #1. was what this OP thought... but wasn't sure. If you take it at it's simple wording "schools may use their facilities for students in the building" that elinates participation of students from an off campus school, direct feeder or not. Some locals better be straight on this rule. Some have posted on these boards regarding 8th graders working out with their 9-12 high school. They could find themselves in the dog house real soon. OP knew of some participating in this practice.

Middle school students that are not in the same school building/location can not work out during spring, they must wait until summer reguardless of whether they are a direct feeder school or not. This is what temple got busted for

Old Pirate this came up with Riverdale about four years ago... I could be wrong but my understanding is you can allow them to use the weight room and condition but they CAN NOT put on the pads and participate in the Spring Practice. Call the TSSAA office and they will give you the correct answer but it seems to me that was the rule 4 or 5 years ago when I asked the same question. If it were me, I certainly would not chance it. The wording about being in the same building applies to K-12 or 7-12 schools where they allow 8th graders on the varsity team.

ELA is correct. Incoming freshman are allowed to workout and condition during the spring. They cannot put the pads on during spring practice. Just call the TSSAA and they will confirm.

Temple said they called the TSSAA and that spring practice for an 8th grader that would be enrolled in their school the next fall was OK. They did not get that in writing. Temple is now on probation for allowing that kid to participate in Spring Practice. The rules from the handbook, that I could find, that apply to participation are below. The rules are not cut and dried but no where does it make a distinction between wearing pads and not wearing pads but it does make it clear that you must be enrolled in the school or it must be after Aug 1st. Read it and judge for yourself. ELA even says "I could be wrong but my understanding is" and "If it were me, I certainly would not chance it". If you call and the TSSAA OK's it you had better have it in writing before you do it or you may find yourself in Temple's shoes.

Section 1. To be eligible, students shall be regularly enrolled, in regular attendance, and carrying at least five full courses or the equivalent. A student is eligible to participate in football, volleyball, cross country, golf, and girls??™ soccer prior to the beginning of school if the student is enrolled at the school and meets all other eligibility requirements.

A student shall not participate in athletics during any semester unless he/she is duly enrolled on or before the 20th day of the semester. This rule shall not apply to transfer students who have met the attendance requirements in the school last attended.

Section 8. An eighth grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school. Students below the eighth grade are not eligible. Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade.

Section 14. Practice Rules.

Only students who are enrolled and in regular attendance at a school may participate in practice.

Enrolled ???" A student is considered ???enrolled??? at a school, for purposes of these Bylaws, when the student has (a) completed all paperwork required for attendance at the school; ( /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> paid all deposits and tuition due where applicable; and ?© either (i) attended classes for three days; (ii) engaged in three or more days of football, girls volleyball, cross country, golf, or girls soccer practice during the period on or after the Monday of the week of August 1; or (iii) participated in an athletic contest in any sport. A student may not be considered to be enrolled in more than one school at any time.

Football

Monday, week of August 1.............................................................First Practice Date.

Temple said they called the TSSAA and that spring practice for an 8th grader that would be enrolled in their school the next fall was OK. They did not get that in writing. Temple is now on probation for allowing that kid to participate in Spring Practice. The rules from the handbook, that I could find, that apply to participation are below. The rules are not cut and dried but no where does it make a distinction between wearing pads and not wearing pads but it does make it clear that you must be enrolled in the school or it must be after Aug 1st. Read it and judge for yourself. ELA even says "I could be wrong but my understanding is" and "If it were me, I certainly would not chance it". If you call and the TSSAA OK's it you had better have it in writing before you do it or you may find yourself in Temple's shoes.

Section 1. To be eligible, students shall be regularly enrolled, in regular attendance, and carrying at least five full courses or the equivalent. A student is eligible to participate in football, volleyball, cross country, golf, and girls??™ soccer prior to the beginning of school if the student is enrolled at the school and meets all other eligibility requirements.

A student shall not participate in athletics during any semester unless he/she is duly enrolled on or before the 20th day of the semester. This rule shall not apply to transfer students who have met the attendance requirements in the school last attended.

Section 8. An eighth grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school. Students below the eighth grade are not eligible. Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade.

Only students who are enrolled and in regular attendance at a school may participate in practice.

Enrolled ???" A student is considered ???enrolled??? at a school, for purposes of these Bylaws, when the student has (a) completed all paperwork required for attendance at the school; ( /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> paid all deposits and tuition due where applicable; and ?© either (i) attended classes for three days; (ii) engaged in three or more days of football, girls volleyball, cross country, golf, or girls soccer practice during the period on or after the Monday of the week of August 1; or (iii) participated in an athletic contest in any sport. A student may not be considered to be enrolled in more than one school at any time.

Football

Monday, week of August 1.............................................................First Practice Date.

Well that covers it. Good Job!

What book is that in?

Football

In the above it says students below 8th grade. So as I read it 8th graders are permitted, correct?