Boyd Buchanan

moundhound

Can someone explain to me how a coach can decide to not make up a district game. After a rainout at Polk Co. on Monday, that was to be made up on Wednesday, Boyd Buchanan's Coach decided he doesn't want to make the game up. How can that be, they are both in the same district. Will TSSAA have anything to say about it, or do the private schools really have that much clout. Either way I believe something should be done for such a "bush league" call.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Boyd wants to forfeit they don't have to play the game. TSSAA could care less if Boyd forfeits or not. They don't even have to play any regular season district games if they don't want to. They can just go into the district tournament as the last seed. You cannot keep them out of the tournament if they want in either. Heck, you don't even have to play in the district tournament. You can play a non-district schedule all you want and be done in April. There is no requirement to play any game by the TSSAA. A forfeit is fine by them.

Wrong. You can play a non-district schedule in one sport and still be fine for the others. You are also allowed to enter the district tournament as the last seed without having played anyone in the district in the regular season. Been done many times. East Literature softball did it last year. They did not play anyone in the district in the regular season and then played East Robertson in the tournament as the last seed. The baseball team did the same thing for several years in the early days of the school.

Wrong. You can play a non-district schedule in one sport and still be fine for the others. You are also allowed to enter the district tournament as the last seed without having played anyone in the district in the regular season. Been done many times. East Literature softball did it last year. They did not play anyone in the district in the regular season and then played East Robertson in the tournament as the last seed. The baseball team did the same thing for several years in the early days of the school.

I just think it's wrong for a private school, with what would seem to be unlimited funds, to be able to take the gate, and concession money from small public schools. These schools count on this money for assisting in funding their programs. If TSSAA wants to allow this, they should pay these schools for their loss. For so long it seems the private schools have had an edge when it comes to school sports, they don't forfeit when they make it to the state play off's. Why should they be allowed to do it during the season. Polk Co. has been out matched by private schools in the past and to my knowledge has never forfeited. I guess our standards are a little different in Polk Co. My hats off to all the Wildcats for working hard and instilling such fear.

Can someone explain to me how a coach can decide to not make up a district game. After a rainout at Polk Co. on Monday, that was to be made up on Wednesday, Boyd Buchanan's Coach decided he doesn't want to make the game up. How can that be, they are both in the same district. Will TSSAA have anything to say about it, or do the private schools really have that much clout. Either way I believe something should be done for such a "bush league" call.

Rumor has it Polks principle called Boyds principle, making game up thursday April 24. Again this is a RUMOR.Game will be played @ Polk

Rumor has it Polks principal called Boyds principal, making game up thursday April 24. Again this is a RUMOR.Game will be played @ Polk

Rumor has it that Boyd will now get to face Phillips again. Rumor also has it that Boyd's pitcher beaned Polk's first baseman intentionally. Not goodnews for Boyd's hitters.

[/quote

Getting beaned in baseball sometimes happen. Rumor has it they not only hit the first baseman on purpose, but Boyds pitcher threw at Polk's first baseman head. Big NO NO. This was done right after trip to the mound by Boyd's coach apparently. Luckly no serious injury to the Polk player.

I just think it's wrong for a private school, with what would seem to be unlimited funds, to be able to take the gate, and concession money from small public schools. These schools count on this money for assisting in funding their programs. If TSSAA wants to allow this, they should pay these schools for their loss. For so long it seems the private schools have had an edge when it comes to school sports, they don't forfeit when they make it to the state play off's. Why should they be allowed to do it during the season. Polk Co. has been out matched by private schools in the past and to my knowledge has never forfeited. I guess our standards are a little different in Polk Co. My hats off to all the Wildcats for working hard and instilling such fear.

"With what seem to be unlimited funds" Are you serious? I went to public high school and now coach at a private school and you could not be more wrong in your comment. Now if you are trying to equate Boyd with Baylor and McCallie then you are misinformed. Small privates are just as dependent on gate money as any other school. As far as the edge you speak of you really need to study the topic more before you so quickly make statements like that. I studied your schools schedule and you rarely play private schools and the results are mixed. In the sports you are good at you win against privates a majority of time. In the sports you are weak at you lose to them, but you lose to almost everybody. I realize your frustration with this situation, but try to understand that privates are not as blessed financially as you may think and they do not have the edge you think. I am not trying to change your mind, but I use to feel the same way until I started coaching at a private school and then wished we had half the stuff that we had at my public school for football. After four years of having football we finally have some of the stuff we need, but we still have a long way to go.