Smyrna new HC

Otter

This just doesn't make sense to me. You hire the DC from the team who placed dead last in the region who will hire his brother to call the O......who also called the O for the last place team in the region?? If you were going to hire an unproven coach for this plum opportunity,why not hire the DC who was there for the gold both times, Wyant( who has coached at 2 schools with rings), or Coach Mid ( who is a favorite with parents and players) and proved his loyalty to the school????????? Gentlemen who already know the parents, players, administrators and can continue the successful system in place already.

I have come up with a lot of scenarios as to how or why.......and then wonder......did Gill not have any input on this one? Isn't his son still on the Bulldog roster?

I bet Coach Wells at Blackman is stunned as well......he has to try and hire 2 new coordinators days before his sprin g practice . Riverdale still needs to hire a DC, and from what we hear so does Siegel. This region is basically unrecognizable these days with all the coaching changes, and I like our chances better and better each day at OHS!

WOW....I did NOT see this one coming.....where in the heck is 82cat?

Pretty harsh words 2P. You are not the only one who is guilty of this, but why do people fault an OC or DC for their previous team??™s record??? OC or DC does not mean HC. The record goes on the HC??™s shoulders not the coordinators. It could be a situation in which the coordinators are limited because of the HC. The HC has ultimate control over the program. He can dictate what O or D to run. It may be that Coach Williams was limited to Coach Well??™s scheme, etc??¦ Coach Carson had the title of OC, but was he actually the OC??? This title got him the job at Eagleville though. Wynant has never been a coordinator and there is probably a reason for that. Sometimes it is better to bring someone in from the outside and I think with this situation it was the right move.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet Coach Carson is kicking himself now, he woulda been the coach...and now he is stuck at 1A Eagleville.

you know because your mr. Raikes right? Coach Carson went to eagleville because he wanted to be a head coach and prove himself. Mr. Raikes had the hardest choice to make and he made one so I think the players and the parents should all stay on board and give Coach Williams a shot. Obviously coach Shad and Mr. Raikes thinks he was a good choice and they think he is a good person so thats good enough for me and it should be for every bulldog.

you know because your mr. Raikes right? Coach Carson went to eagleville because he wanted to be a head coach and prove himself. Mr. Raikes had the hardest choice to make and he made one so I think the players and the parents should all stay on board and give Coach Williams a shot. Obviously coach Shad and Mr. Raikes thinks he was a good choice and they think he is a good person so thats good enough for me and it should be for every bulldog.

I agree. Even if Carson did want the Smyrna job, the man cant look into the future and see that Shad was going to resign, I think pretty much everyone was caught off guard, at the very least by the timing of it all. I know Raikes didnt hire a stud HC, but he pretty much got a package deal, 2 great coordinators who are largely responsible for building up Blackman's program, I think as coaches the Williams brothers couldnt do any more, the kids at some time have to go out and execute. Blackman was oh so close to a breakout year, with a break here and there, they could have very well won 7 games last season, but I digress.

Also, Offensively, it seems like Smyrna will still have a fair balance or at least will maximize their strengths on a year to year basis, which is the goal of any offense or defense. Blackman ran alot of the spread so it doesnt seem like they will go back to the stone age, at least in terms of scheme and philosophy.

Yes, its not the home run that some Smyrna folks wanted, but I think this is a solid hire regardless. Years like the last 2 wont come around often because some of the guys they had on last years team are once in a generation type of talents, Smyrna could go another 20 years and not have some of the talent that they were able to benefit from the last couple of seasons. I think with time, folks with come to realize that Mr. Raikes knew exactly what he was doing.

AMEN, you preach it!!!!

Carson has the chance to do well at Smyrna...we will se how he does. He had the title of off coord at Smyrna..but, that was in name only. Though, he had his problems as an assistant at LaVergne and as an off coord at Franklin Co...he learned from his mistakes and was a good assistant at Smyrna and deserves the chance at Eagle ville. If he does well, he will have the chance to move on.

The Williams brothers are class act and they will work hard at Smyrna. Yes, I was surprised, but the new head coach was at Smyrna for several yrs and one of the reasons he left was to coach with his brother.

OK.....maybe I was a bit harsh. Word on the street was that once that group left Smyrna at the last second to go to Blackman, it was said that they would never be allowed to come back. It created animosity between the 2 schools because it left Shadowens to have to call both the O and the D that season.It was too late to get someone hired in their places. There is still some carryover from it too. My source is absolutely impeccable on this.

I still think that to allow a smoother transition, a person on staff should have been hired had they wanted to have gone with an unproven coach. Best of luck to the Williams brothers. I know folk in Gallatin think a lot of the brother/

As for Coach Carson.......whether he called the O or not, he had the title of OC at a school who won back to back state champions. That carries a lot of weight with principals and I wish him the best of luck along with Coach PIPP!

Anyone know if Coach Mitchell took the Dc at Siegel?

OK.....maybe I was a bit harsh. Word on the street was that once that group left Smyrna at the last second to go to Blackman, it was said that they would never be allowed to come back. It created animosity between the 2 schools because it left Shadowens to have to call both the O and the D that season.It was too late to get someone hired in their places. There is still some carryover from it too. My source is absolutely impeccable on this.

I still think that to allow a smoother transition, a person on staff should have been hired had they wanted to have gone with an unproven coach. Best of luck to the Williams brothers. I know folk in Gallatin think a lot of the brother/

As for Coach Carson.......whether he called the O or not, he had the title of OC at a school who won back to back state champions. That carries a lot of weight with principals and I wish him the best of luck along with Coach PIPP!

Is Pipp coaching db's?

mitchell the leading candidate?