Region 4-3A

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pearl Cohn has been the class of the region since it was formed in 2005 no question about it. They have gone 9-3, 10-4, and 11-3. Pearl is 15-3 against the region in three years. The Firebirds are 1-2 against White House in the regular season YET they are 2-0 against them in the playoffs. They are a perfect 4-0 against both Sycamore & Station Camp with one playoff victory against each of them.

White House has also been a playoff team each of the three years the region has been in place HOWEVER the Blue Devils are still searching their first region title. More importantly though the Blue Devils have also found life against Pearl Cohn to be extremely difficult when it matters in the playoffs.

Station Camp has steamrolled to a 9-0 start each of the last two seasons and really dominated their opposition along the way. In both seasons however they fell in the final week of the season to Pearl Cohn. In the playoffs they have been ousted in the second round each season by a team within their region (Sycamore & Pearl Cohn).

Greenbrier won the region in 2005 in a very suprising manner as they were picked no higher than third during that preseason. Since then they have struggled in the region. They are 0-2 in the playoffs against White House. During the regular season they are a combined 3-9 against their own region over the course of the last two years. Two of those wins were over DeKalb Co.

Sycamore and Macon Co. have each made the playoffs one time in three years. The War Eagles started out at 0-3 in region play in 2006 before really getting hot and winning very exciting games against Greenbrier & Macon Co. to put them in the playoffs. In the playoffs they beat Station Camp on their way to the quarterfinals before finally running out of gas at Pearl Cohn. Macon Co. was a real suprise in 2005 making the playoffs after a dismal start. They got hot toward the end of the year and beat both Sycamore & DeKalb Co. to get in the playoffs. The Tigers are 3-9 against the region over the last two seasons though they have gone 2-0 against Greenbrier during that time.

DeKalb Co. is nearing respectability which is a bright spot for them because before Trapp arrived and even during his first and second years there the Tigers were awful. TERRIBLE!!! Last year they played well against Greenbrier, Pearl Cohn, and Sycamore. Then a reward finally came at the end of the year when they upset Macon Co. Ironically that win hurt Sycamore more than anyone because it's the only thing that held them out of the playoffs.

AS FAR AS 2008 GOES???????????????????????? NO PREDICTIONS!!! BUT............

White House should be the team to beat in the region. They are loaded with players that have started the last two seasons. They better get it done this year or it will be a huge disappointment. This team has the makings to make a run really deep in the playoffs and potentially win it all.

Station Camp returns a few pieces to the field from the last couple of years. I wonder can they stay on a roll like they've been on the last two years. This will be their final run in 3A before moving up in classification.

Pearl Cohn lost basically all of their skill players after each of the last two years. This year they also lose a couple of valuable linebackers on defense to boot. The Firebirds to return the chore of their linemen. They also return a couple of skill players that saw spot time last year. Getting the kids from MLK will definately be an added bonus. How much is the question that we'll have to wait and see about.

Sycamore is the opposite of PC. They return the majority of their skilled players but lose all of their linemen. It's a very familiar situation for them as was the 2004 season. If they can get some linemen to step up quick then they could be a contender. If not then they are going to find life tough with stars on IR.

Greenbrier is a question to me. They return a very good running back. They also return a couple of solid linemen. At the same time they lose the remainder of their offensive backfield. They also lost some key linemen as well as a very good linebacker who was a great HS football player. Can the Bobcats continue to reload year after year and return to the playoffs?????

2008 IS FULL OF QUESTIONS THAT WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT TO PLAY OUT!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Macon Co. should also be improved over last year's team. They return quarterback Kyle Grace as well as wide outs Brian Trask and Lance Reid. Last year's team featured youth on both the offensive and defensive lines. If they can grow up this season and protect Grace then they maybe can make a run at the playoffs throwing the football all over the yard.

The Tigers inability to run the football is something that they have got to change though. They were a running team in 2004 when they went to the state semifinals and lost to Fulton. They were a running team in 2005 when they made the playoffs in Cook's first season. The last two years they have been a pass happy offensive football team and teams in the region have doomed them in the second half by controlling the clock with their rushing games.

If Macon Co. can find a back to go with those other weapons I talked about then they could be dangerous /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Who does everyone scrimmage this spring???? It is my understanding that Station Camp & Greenbrier have already gotten finished with spring drills. I know that Greenbrier scrimmaged Mt. Juliet. How did that go????

I haven't heard any news on teams such as White House, Pearl Cohn, and Sycamore. I know that WH usually goes with Gallatin in the spring and that PC usually goes with Antioch in the spring. Sycamore is one of few teams that still does an end-of-spring intersquad scrimmage.

• 2 weeks later...

Pearl Cohn Spring Notebook

Going into the spring Pearl Cohn biggest issue was of course the Quarterback position. Replacing SEC quarterback Deaunte Mason. With the wide recievers gone. Going into last Friday scrimmage with Antioch the firebirds had many questions needed to be answered.

Quarterbacks?

All of them are freshmen and all have good solid arms. They have a scrambler and a pocket passer.

The problem is the snap and handing off the ball, but lets remember these are freshman and will have to grow in time.

Wide Recievers?

The wide outs are tall as uasually with the firebirds. but these are young wide recievers as well. the have great hieght and good speed. The problem is they are not familer with the offense and they need to work on there catching

Running backs?

Most of the scores will come from this position. The most exerpecnice comes from this position. Led by James Mclauraen who scored a touchdown in friday scrimmage. The problem is the handoff from the quarterback.

Defense?

The firebirds defense looks good. From the d-line to the secondary. But what was most impressive was the fact that the line backers looks better than last year which is kinda of scary considering who was on last year team. The D line got off the line fast and strong against Antioch. The secondary force four take aways.

Overall

Pearl Cohn while looking great on defense has plenty of questions that need to be answered on onfense before they pack up and head to Memphis to open the season this fall. However i would not be suprise if they pull some off some upsets along the way. They should compete in a tough region that the Blue Devils of White House should win. the biggest region rival to the Firebirds

SPRING GRADE

B-

Pearl Cohn won the scrimmage 14 to 0. at Pearl Cohn, which had a good decent crowd. it is good to see the community is starting to grow with the program

It's even better to see that Antioch might not be as good this year. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Seriously though, good job to PC.