UMPIRE FEEDBACK NEEDED

FridayMainEvent

i am a tssaa official in chattanooga. I know for a fact, at least here, that rules are stictly enforced. If the teams around here see that you are repeatedly not making a call they will not hesitate to contact the the area UIC to get the problem solved. In our monthly meetings it is highly stressed to enforce all rules no matter what the circumstances. That is here in chatt. so i cant speak for other areas. We are also human and people make mistakes and it takes years and years to learn all of the rules and their interpretations. Maybe, the parents in the stands should do the training classes from now on??? Another bit of useful information is to never compare high school ball to summer ball, rules are so much different. The crow hop thing about having to be an advantage is correct. If a pitcher is crow hopping and striking out batters, then i would call it but if she is doing it and walking batter after batter then whats the point?? which is why it does say in the asa rules that it must be an advantage to the pitcher. The reason is b/c, the crow hop is not taught anymore b/c it has been made illegal. So, if you do come across a pitcher who is TRULY crow hopping shell be throwing the ball all over the place. Most parents view of crow hopping is very very far from actual crow hopping. In order to do it, it takes lots and lots of practice. i have never seen a girl ever come close to crow hopping. bad mechanics? yes crow hopping? no

If so, then why did a SD pitcher NOT get called for a crow hop or replant in HS, while winning several state titles,then get called for it repeatedly in college? (as another has posted)

I got a chance to see Ooltewah's pitcher this year(who is great), and pitches correctly.

It can be done!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If so, then why did a SD pitcher NOT get called for a crow hop or replant in HS, while winning several state titles,then get called for it repeatedly in college? (as another has posted)

I got a chance to see Ooltewah's pitcher this year(who is great), and pitches correctly.

It can be done!

I, for one, am waiting for the answer to this one.................. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

i am a tssaa official in chattanooga. I know for a fact, at least here, that rules are stictly enforced. If the teams around here see that you are repeatedly not making a call they will not hesitate to contact the the area UIC to get the problem solved. In our monthly meetings it is highly stressed to enforce all rules no matter what the circumstances. That is here in chatt. so i cant speak for other areas. We are also human and people make mistakes and it takes years and years to learn all of the rules and their interpretations. Maybe, the parents in the stands should do the training classes from now on??? Another bit of useful information is to never compare high school ball to summer ball, rules are so much different.

The crow hop thing about having to be an advantage is correct. If a pitcher is crow hopping and striking out batters, then i would call it but if she is doing it and walking batter after batter then whats the point?? which is why it does say in the asa rules that it must be an advantage to the pitcher. The reason is b/c, the crow hop is not taught anymore b/c it has been made illegal. So, if you do come across a pitcher who is TRULY crow hopping shell be throwing the ball all over the place. Most parents view of crow hopping is very very far from actual crow hopping. In order to do it, it takes lots and lots of practice. i have never seen a girl ever come close to crow hopping. bad mechanics? yes crow hopping? no

So I guess your judgement on advantages are the same for leaping and the 24 inch rule violations? Some people do not agree with you though. http://www.nfhs.org/web/2008/02/softball_v...__training.aspx

i am a tssaa official in chattanooga. I know for a fact, at least here, that rules are stictly enforced. If the teams around here see that you are repeatedly not making a call they will not hesitate to contact the the area UIC to get the problem solved. In our monthly meetings it is highly stressed to enforce all rules no matter what the circumstances. That is here in chatt. so i cant speak for other areas. We are also human and people make mistakes and it takes years and years to learn all of the rules and their interpretations. Maybe, the parents in the stands should do the training classes from now on??? Another bit of useful information is to never compare high school ball to summer ball, rules are so much different.

The crow hop thing about having to be an advantage is correct. If a pitcher is crow hopping and striking out batters, then i would call it but if she is doing it and walking batter after batter then whats the point?? which is why it does say in the asa rules that it must be an advantage to the pitcher. The reason is b/c, the crow hop is not taught anymore b/c it has been made illegal. So, if you do come across a pitcher who is TRULY crow hopping shell be throwing the ball all over the place. Most parents view of crow hopping is very very far from actual crow hopping. In order to do it, it takes lots and lots of practice. i have never seen a girl ever come close to crow hopping. bad mechanics? yes crow hopping? no

Crow hopping is not hard to learn. My daughter did it when she was 10 and her instructor bboke her of it quickly so it would not become a habit. If a pitcher does it it IS an advantage and needs to be called. I guess in football if your wide recievers are slow they can start 5 yards downfield and it is only called illegal if they catch more passes. Or how about taking free throws over the line, but not calling it unless the player is making more than he misses. Your logic is faulty and I hope it is not followed by most umpires. If it is a house cleaning is in order

Crow hopping is not hard to learn. My daughter did it when she was 10 and her instructor bboke her of it quickly so it would not become a habit. If a pitcher does it it IS an advantage and needs to be called. I guess in football if your wide recievers are slow they can start 5 yards downfield and it is only called illegal if they catch more passes. Or how about taking free throws over the line, but not calling it unless the player is making more than he misses. Your logic is faulty and I hope it is not followed by most umpires. If it is a house cleaning is in order

Great post!!!!

How did this RULE fall into the category of umpire judgement?

If a pitchers pivot foot leaves the ground is it not illegal whether it is a "crow hop" or not? It may not be considered a crow hop, but if it leaves the ground is it not called a "leap" which is also illegal. I ask this because my understanding of all the rules in question require the pivot foot to remain in contact with the pitching rubber and then "drag" away from it. Please explain if I am incorrect.

If a pitchers pivot foot leaves the ground is it not illegal whether it is a "crow hop" or not? It may not be considered a crow hop, but if it leaves the ground is it not called a "leap" which is also illegal. I ask this because my understanding of all the rules in question require the pivot foot to remain in contact with the pitching rubber and then "drag" away from it. Please explain if I am incorrect.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I would like to see an umpire's response to your post.

All of your opinions and remarks are correct no doubt, maybe i came off the wrong way. By judgement an umpire is taking into consideration of many different variables. Why the nikki waters thing was never called, i have no idea. i have often wondered the same thing. For 4 years i figured that state umpires would hammer her over it. im not them so i don't know. The fact does remain though that i would say 95% of pitchers in high school are illegal in some way, so it becomes judgement whether or not to call it. For instance if howard and tyner were playing, would you call illegal pitch everytime b/c every pitch is illegal ON BOTH TEAMS??? There are so many things that are looked at. I love the game, thats why i umpire, youll find most guys do it for the extra money. The high quality teams i think should be judged more harshly than any other teams. its a sad reality but thats just the way it is and its probably never gonna change.

All of your opinions and remarks are correct no doubt, maybe i came off the wrong way. By judgement an umpire is taking into consideration of many different variables. Why the nikki waters thing was never called, i have no idea. i have often wondered the same thing. For 4 years i figured that state umpires would hammer her over it. im not them so i don't know. The fact does remain though that i would say 95% of pitchers in high school are illegal in some way, so it becomes judgement whether or not to call it. For instance if howard and tyner were playing, would you call illegal pitch everytime b/c every pitch is illegal ON BOTH TEAMS??? There are so many things that are looked at. I love the game, thats why i umpire, youll find most guys do it for the extra money. The high quality teams i think should be judged more harshly than any other teams. its a sad reality but thats just the way it is and its probably never gonna change.

I understand your view, but only to a certain point.

If the Chatt area umpires had called the former SD pitcher for illegal pitch, as good as she was,

I believe she would have made the adjustment.

Waiting to let the umpires at the region or state tournament catch it, (IMO) was just passing the buck.

I am not trying to be a smart-elic here, just trying to compare something to make you think. Umpires, whether they love the game or not, are payed to do a job. The compariaon I would like to make is in law enforcement. If we allowed police officers to make the law where would we be, because they have no one to answer to. They, like umpires, are not asked to make the laws just enforce them. I know it is impossible to get everything right, but ask anybody here on this post and all they will say is that they want is consistancy. If it is a rule, enforce it! If not get it out of the rule book! We need more umpires that care about the game and the girls, but it does not help them in any way to allow them to pitch illegaly. Do you think any college coach will look twice at a girl pitching illegaly? Not unless she is above average and they think they can fix them and old habits die hard.

I am not trying to be a smart-elic here, just trying to compare something to make you think. Umpires, whether they love the game or not, are payed to do a job. The compariaon I would like to make is in law enforcement. If we allowed police officers to make the law where would we be, because they have no one to answer to. They, like umpires, are not asked to make the laws just enforce them. I know it is impossible to get everything right, but ask anybody here on this post and all they will say is that they want is consistancy. If it is a rule, enforce it! If not get it out of the rule book! We need more umpires that care about the game and the girls, but it does not help them in any way to allow them to pitch illegaly. Do you think any college coach will look twice at a girl pitching illegaly? Not unless she is above average and they think they can fix them and old habits die hard.

I don't know. I watched Jenny Finch pitch illegally last night for the USA against OU. She was replanting for sure.

Yeah...I think I would take her.