Scores from the Coffee Co. Classic

chs4life

I'm sure there was a reason why Coach Pedigo left the trophy. She is probably upset because the umpire made a horrible call at homeplate to HAND OVER the win to CC. MJ is a great program, she is an amazing coach, and she will fight to the end for her girls. Her actions weren't "unclassy"-- she made a statement. It really says something when the coaches and players are THANKING the umpires for his "great" call at home. It's ridiculous. That is unclassy. You can say what you want about MJ and Coach Pedigo-- They are great. She is great! Every player that comes out of Mj will tell how great of a coach and person she is. We haven't made it to state two years in a row with out a reason. She must be doing something right.I'm sure there was a reason why Coach Pedigo left the trophy. She is probably upset because the umpire made a horrible call at homeplate to HAND OVER the win to CC. MJ is a great program, she is an amazing coach, and she will fight to the end for her girls. Her actions weren't "unclassy"-- she made a statement. It really says something when the coaches and players are THANKING the umpires for his "great" call at home. It's ridiculous. That is unclassy. You can say what you want about MJ and Coach Pedigo-- They are great. She is great! Every player that comes out of Mj will tell how great of a coach and person she is. We haven't made it to state two years in a row with out a reason. She must be doing something right.

Hand over the win???? That is too funny considering CC kept MJ from scoring in 2 tie breaker innings and beat them with a squeeze and an awesome slide into home...we have all been on this side of a call and the call was a good one!! CC was not "handed" anything. They played hard all weekend with top notch pitching and very hott hitting and defense...dont try and take away their hard work by blaming a call...i am sure you are absolutely correct about Coach Pedigo...she is an awesome coach and it is very obvious in her team but good sportsmanship and attitude goes a long way...maybe this loss is what they needed to show them that because their attitude coming into the game seemed as if they couldnt be beaten....and we all know how softball can be!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible call. Making an accusation such as this without specific details is lame. You shouldn't throw things like this on a forum without specifics. Certainly, you can pontificate about your schools program but to make charges like these including thanking the umpire after the game is a cheap shot. The burden of proof is on you!

Again, I'm sure CHS4life will post here today and give the details of this game. I listen to their games most evenings. He shares all the info including details about MrNoitall and his posts while looking for him at their games. Proof that they are avid CoachT fans and concerned about getting the "real story" to the fans. I'm not aware of any other school with as much live coverage for their softball program. Proof that they are proud of their team and their standing in the community and I'm sure as concerned about how their character is portrayed amongst their peers here on CoachT. Sounds like this tourny was as exciting as advertised.

I'm not sure where CHS4life is today but I will hook you up with a couple of quick details that has Mt. Juliet so torn up. In the top of the fourth inning with a runner on third and two outs a Mt. Juliet batter hit a pop up into foul territory on the third base side. The runner at third got into the third baseman's way and slowed her down considerably in her attempt to get to the foul ball. Let's make a couple of things clear on this play. CHS' third baseman, Tiffany McCormick, would have gotten to the foul ball easily had the runner at third not gotten in her way. And the runner DID try to get out of the way, but in doing so probably got in her way more and I believe made contact. There was no call. CHS head coach Terry Floyd called time and asked the third base umpire about the call. He then called the home plate umpire over for a conference and it was determined interference should have been called. This upset the folks from Mt. Juliet. It could have been avoided had the umpire made the call originally but he didn't. Kudos, though, for talking to another umpire and getting the call right......And then there was the call at the plate that scored the winning run for Coffee County. Bottom of the sixth in the second tiebreaker inning ... Squeeze play back to the pitcher was thrown home where Shelby Davis for CHS executes a pretty good hook slide. This was a VERY close play and I couldn't tell if the catcher tagged her or not but the call could have went either way. Fortunately for Coffee County it went for the Lady Raiders and unfortunately for Mt. Juliet it went against them...that's the way it goes sometimes. Life is tought that way. And for the Mt. Juliet folks that were screaming home cooking, I guess that is just natural to yell on the road, but I don't recall ever having that home plate umpire at one of our games before. As far as leaving the trohpy is concerned - I'm not a big fan of winning second place trophies either. But at least show a little class and take it home. If you don't want it, throw it away back home. Or put it up at your facility somewhere for bulletin board material for your team. Don't leave it laying in the parking lot...either way it isn't a good message to the Mt. Juliet team from its coach. Thinking before you act is important. The CHS coaching staff, players, parents and boosters didn't do anything wrong. It was the umpires they were so disgusted with. Don't slap the CHS softball community in the face for something that it did not do. A Mt. Juliet parent (I think the booster club president) and a couple of players DID come back after they had heard what happened and apologized to coach Floyd and took the trophy home. So not all bad apples on that side of the stands for sure ...So there you have it ERA.

I dont know, leaving the second place trophy in the parking lot? I would say simply that she is sending a poor message to her team. A sore loser is a sore loser. Remember in 2004 or 2005 when Clifford Kirk's team lost the championship game in the state tournament and he and his team all refused to shake the winning teams hand? I put both of these situations in the same catagory. Poor sportsmanship.

Absolutely!! You are so right!!

I'm not sure where CHS4life is today but I will hook you up with a couple of quick details that has Mt. Juliet so torn up. In the top of the fourth inning with a runner on third and two outs a Mt. Juliet batter hit a pop up into foul territory on the third base side. The runner at third got into the third baseman's way and slowed her down considerably in her attempt to get to the foul ball. Let's make a couple of things clear on this play. CHS' third baseman, Tiffany McCormick, would have gotten to the foul ball easily had the runner at third not gotten in her way. And the runner DID try to get out of the way, but in doing so probably got in her way more and I believe made contact. There was no call. CHS head coach Terry Floyd called time and asked the third base umpire about the call. He then called the home plate umpire over for a conference and it was determined interference should have been called. This upset the folks from Mt. Juliet. It could have been avoided had the umpire made the call originally but he didn't. Kudos, though, for talking to another umpire and getting the call right......And then there was the call at the plate that scored the winning run for Coffee County. Bottom of the sixth in the second tiebreaker inning ... Squeeze play back to the pitcher was thrown home where Shelby Davis for CHS executes a pretty good hook slide. This was a VERY close play and I couldn't tell if the catcher tagged her or not but the call could have went either way. Fortunately for Coffee County it went for the Lady Raiders and unfortunately for Mt. Juliet it went against them...that's the way it goes sometimes. Life is tought that way. And for the Mt. Juliet folks that were screaming home cooking, I guess that is just natural to yell on the road, but I don't recall ever having that home plate umpire at one of our games before. As far as leaving the trohpy is concerned - I'm not a big fan of winning second place trophies either. But at least show a little class and take it home. If you don't want it, throw it away back home. Or put it up at your facility somewhere for bulletin board material for your team. Don't leave it laying in the parking lot...either way it isn't a good message to the Mt. Juliet team from its coach. Thinking before you act is important. The CHS coaching staff, players, parents and boosters didn't do anything wrong. It was the umpires they were so disgusted with. Don't slap the CHS softball community in the face for something that it did not do. A Mt. Juliet parent (I think the booster club president) and a couple of players DID come back after they had heard what happened and apologized to coach Floyd and took the trophy home. So not all bad apples on that side of the stands for sure ...So there you have it ERA.

Hats off to the parent and players who came back for the trophy....now that IS CLASS

I was not there at all but I have to give my two cents on the fact that MJ left the trophy behind!

NO CLASS

and that is bottom line there is no excuse for anyone to act that way and if they are such a GREAT team and deserved to win then they should have never let it get to a tie breaker and it they wouldn't have to worry about getting second place.

Sounds like to me the better team won that day!!

I dont know what to do to prevent the "soddy lake" syndrome that seems to be spreading.

When will everyone realize that the real tournament trophy is handed out in May, not in March and April. I believe Coffee County is in AAA, so that means that they will run into Mt. Juliet at some point, given they both keep winning. I'm sure Goodpasture would like to win every tournament they play, but they also don't mind playing better competition. That's why they are there in May collecting the AA State Championship trophy(the only one that matters).

As for the "Soddy Lake" syndrome: GPS hasn't had the same trouble at Soddy winning three times in three years (including the two state championship years). The "syndrome" probably has more to do with being able to compete with the talent at Soddy and playing your own game, instead of getting caught up in the "Clifford" hype. Watching a Soddy game is always entertaining with Clifford, and I believe some kids tend to lose their focus. Susan Crownover(at GPS) seems to do a good job of always respecting the other team but not fearing or over-inflating them(and, as mentioned earlier, it helps that she brings some pretty good athletes to the field).

See y'all in the 'Boro.

It's called 'bracketology' - (verb), the act of doctoring or manipulating brackets so as to favor one team or teams. Usually performed by host of said bracket.

Truthfully, I though MJ invented this type of tourney several years ago when we used to go to their tourney. They would somehow put 8 of top 10 teams in tournament in top bracket and put themselves in the bottom. However, they would also give themselves double byes so that they only had to play 1 game to get to finals. Never thought Goodpasture would ever go back.

Don't think the same thing goes on from now since Coach Ped. has arrived, but MJ did it as well as anyone in days gone bye. Might be where SD picked it up.

Congratulations to both MJ & CC for getting to finals. But the BIG GAME has yet to be played. Coach Ped. & Coach Terry do a great job-

See ya in the boro!

Bad migraine over night but, Ok here I am and here is how I saw it. Shelby Davis was coming hard on the bunt by Keele and made a great slide and the ump did not hesitate on the call and said safe. I talked to some people that did not care who won, (fans of a different team) that were there just watching good softball and said the catcher missed the tag. They also said they wished their team could have played in such a great game. As for the trophy enough said time to move on. As for the stacking the tournament if that were true why didn't Terry put himself up against Giles Co. in tournament so Coffee Co. would have had a forfeit that did not happen. MJ has a great team and I'm sure they'll have a great run in the post season. By the way Coffee Co. is not too bad as they have won 11 in a row outscoring their opponents 68-16 in that run. Pitching by Freshman Casey Vincent who by the way pitched against MJ has very good on the mound and at the plate hitting around .440 for the year and leads the team HR's. Jr. Kristen Swan is pitching the best I've seen her throw and is becoming a leader with her play at 1st and doing everything she is ask for at the plate. Tiffany McCormick had a solid tournament, this girl is harder on herself than anyone I've seen and she stepped up big with several hits including a big one to start the rally. Leslie Keele what can I say but BIGTIME play all weekend. Fr. Veronica Blackburn knocked in several runs and got her first varsity HR. Willis played very well at SS and came back and played in the championship after being helped off the field with an injury in the game vs. Hendersonville. Catcher scored the winning run had some big at bats and caught all 5 games yesterday. Jessica Downs our RF played hurt all weekend but never came out even hobbling off the field at times. Whitney McWhorter is playing lights out in CF. Whoever Terry calls on in LF Beth Davis or Taylor Baldwin has played some great D for us. Thanks to Christi Davis who had a big hit in the Hendersonville game and played well at 2nd after coming in after Willis was hurt. Kaitlyn Thorton had good tournament as our CR as it seemed like she was out there a lot running for someone. Good luck to the Lady Raiders tomorrow night vs. Shelbyville in game a game that will determine 2nd place in 8-AAA.

Bad migraine over night but, Ok here I am and here is how I saw it. Shelby Davis was coming hard on the bunt by Keele and made a great slide and the ump did not hesitate on the call and said safe. I talked to some people that did not care who won, (fans of a different team) that were there just watching good softball and said the catcher missed the tag. They also said they wished their team could have played in such a great game. As for the trophy enough said time to move on. As for the stacking the tournament if that were true why didn't Terry put himself up against Giles Co. in tournament so Coffee Co. would have had a forfeit that did not happen. MJ has a great team and I'm sure they'll have a great run in the post season. By the way Coffee Co. is not too bad as they have won 11 in a row outscoring their opponents 68-16 in that run. Pitching by Freshman Casey Vincent who by the way pitched against MJ has very good on the mound and at the plate hitting around .440 for the year and leads the team HR's. Jr. Kristen Swan is pitching the best I've seen her throw and is becoming a leader with her play at 1st and doing everything she is ask for at the plate. Tiffany McCormick had a solid tournament, this girl is harder on herself than anyone I've seen and she stepped up big with several hits including a big one to start the rally. Leslie Keele what can I say but BIGTIME play all weekend. Fr. Veronica Blackburn knocked in several runs and got her first varsity HR. Willis played very well at SS and came back and played in the championship after being helped off the field with an injury in the game vs. Hendersonville. Catcher scored the winning run had some big at bats and caught all 5 games yesterday. Jessica Downs our RF played hurt all weekend but never came out even hobbling off the field at times. Whitney McWhorter is playing lights out in CF. Whoever Terry calls on in LF Beth Davis or Taylor Baldwin has played some great D for us. Thanks to Christi Davis who had a big hit in the Hendersonville game and played well at 2nd after coming in after Willis was hurt. Kaitlyn Thorton had good tournament as our CR as it seemed like she was out there a lot running for someone. Good luck to the Lady Raiders tomorrow night vs. Shelbyville in game a game that will determine 2nd place in 8-AAA.

Over the years, I have come to realize, there are two sides to every story, and somewhere

in the middle lies the truth.

And when you put that rationalization to sports....if someone describes a game ending play

as a bang-bang call, (as another has posted) then their team MUST have been on the happy side

of the call. And the team on the sad side will call it a blown or bad call.

I also saw the play in question, and I respectfully disagree with your description of the play.

I saw the umpire standing behind the plate when the play occurred. The umpire then circled around

the play to the mound side of the plate, and asked the catcher if she had the ball. When catcher showed

the ball in her glove, the umpire signaled safe.

From my viewpoint, I did not have the angle to see if the tag was actually made or not. But why would

the umpire circle around and ask to see the ball, if he/she knew immediately, the runner was safe?

Between each inning, the homeplate umpire would stand a few feet from the plate, on the first base foul line.

The 1B umpire would stand on the same line, about halfway between home and 1B.

However, on several occassions, the 3B umpire would walk over to the 3B fence and carry on a conversation

with someone who appeared to be from CC. The 3B umpire was involved in a couple of calls, that got the

MJ fans upset, and when the call at home occured, they were very upset, and the words "home cooking"

came out.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the tourney is over and CC won. There is nothing that can be said or done to reverse that result so why are we all still ranting and raving over it. The girls on these teams don't need to get on here and read this crap or even dwell on the outcome for another second. They need to move on and prepare for the remainder of their games this week and get ready for the District tourney... Both teams are great teams as well as most of the others that played in this tourney. Every dog has its day and if we played this same tourney again next week we could have a totally different outcome that doesn't involve MJ or CC so let it go and cheer your team on for the remainder of the season. I would like to thank the CC administrators, coaches, fans, parents, etc. for putting on a great tournament and I hope that our team will be there again next year. Good Luck to all the other teams on their bid for State Championships....