State pairings?

CUcamels

Newstang, I think you'll like the MTCS field very well. It's as good or better than Blackman's field. Congrats on your son's team making it back to Mboro. When I get back from St. Louis Wednesday afternoon, Patterson and I might try to ride over and see you guys play. Hate the Big Red didn't make it back, but they gave Lipscomb a good run at it.

Yea, I was really lookin forward to the rush of running from field to field between the big red and Huntingdon as was the case the last 2 years. But this year the running will be from baseball to softball. My daughter made it too. Is MTCS where Pattersons buddy coaches?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since going to the current spring fling format, Division II (CBHS, Briarcrest in Memphis, BGA in Murfreesboro) have played at their homefield each year. I'm not sure if any others have played on their home fields in Memphis.

TSSAA decides which fields will host each class. AAA has been played each yeat at Oakland. Oakland would have played at home last year had it won its sectional game. This is most likely why Riverdale and Smyrna hasn't played home games since those schools hosted Class A and Class AA.

What advantage does Oakland get for playing at home? They get to sleep at home? They would do that if they played at Siegel. They get to use indoor facility? Maybe, but TSSAA may control that once tournament begins. They get to use their clubhouse? OK, that's an advantage. They won't get to take batting practice on their field before the game, not allowed by TSSAA. They'll get the same 10 minutes of infield that whoever they play will have.

Perhaps they know the mound, so they don't have to adjust to that. They know there is a slight rise in right field, so the rightfielder is used to that. If they start flipping on the blue lights and playing player songs, TSSAA may shut it down because that would be an advantage.

There are college tournaments played at home sites every year. Playing at home didn't help Cumberland advance to the NAIA World Series this year, they lost in best-of-three series.

If this was basketball, I would agree that it could be an advantage. But in baseball, you still have to throw the ball, hit the ball and catch the ball. If you don't accomplish those three things, you could be playing in a Little League park and you're still not going to win.

Anybody that's ever played at Oakland knows that there is a tremendous home field advantage there - blue light specials for the home team, lively/entertaining announcing for the home team, comfort zone on the field, control of the tarp on a misty day depending on who is winning, and yes even the obnoxious home team fans heckling the opposing players - just to mention a few. No way this is a fair tournament if Oakland is allowed to play their games at home. Simply move Oakland's bracket to Siegel and let the JV run the show at Oakland - major advantage equalized!!!

Anybody that's ever played at Oakland knows that there is a tremendous home field advantage there - blue light specials for the home team, lively/entertaining announcing for the home team, comfort zone on the field, control of the tarp on a misty day depending on who is winning, and yes even the obnoxious home team fans heckling the opposing players - just to mention a few. No way this is a fair tournament if Oakland is allowed to play their games at home. Simply move Oakland's bracket to Siegel and let the JV run the show at Oakland - major advantage equalized!!!

NEWSFLASH TO THE REST OF CIVILIZATION: Life Isn't fair, deal with it.

Yes, if you played at Oakland during regular season. TSSAA runs the state tournament. I would be surprised if there are blue light specials. Tarp will be the charge of the umpires, who are from all over the state, not the home team, and the site coordinator is brought in to take care of on-field issues. The person at Oakland has not been with the school the past two years.

Those hecklers you speak would be able to travel 2 or 3 miles to Siegel if they were playing there, so that doesn't erase an advantage.

I haven't seen BGA use the advantage of playing at home the last two years give them a state title.

The games are won on the field, not by what's going on outside the lines. The teams that advance to the championship round are most likely good enough that they don't even know what's going on in the stands.

If Oakland - or anyone else for that matter - doesn't pitch, hit or field, a U-12 team could beat them.

Dude, the was the regular season and a long time ago, drop it and quit lookin like a bitter idiot.

Let's remind them tribe33 - top of the fifth, steady drizzle, Oakland down 5-2. Tarp comes out about the time the drizzle turns to mist. Everyone except Oakland is shocked. And yes one ump told the opposing coach that Oakland's coach decided to bring out the tarp. On the way out of the park, no rain, no umbrellas, no pride for Oakland Pats. We may be idiots, but we can at least take our spankings and hold our heads up. Why would we be bitter - we "won" and you and everybody there that night knows it.

Yea, I was really lookin forward to the rush of running from field to field between the big red and Huntingdon as was the case the last 2 years. But this year the running will be from baseball to softball. My daughter made it too. Is MTCS where Pattersons buddy coaches?

Yes, MTCS is the place.

Congrats on your daughter as well, too. Wow, I can't believe you and Stacy have kids in HS now...but it has been 20 years since we graduated. My oldest (8) is in junior little league and my youngest is in T-ball (6). I have my oldest hitting from both sides of the plate and we have been working on drag bunting from the left side today. My youngest has some serious speed but they won' t let you drag bunt in T-Ball. Man, its fun getting to teach them the game now...they finally just this year started taking a serious interest in it so maybe in a few years we'll be get to go watch some game with a little more on the line than just a passing interest. Good luck to you guys.

Yes, if you played at Oakland during regular season. TSSAA runs the state tournament. I would be surprised if there are blue light specials. Tarp will be the charge of the umpires, who are from all over the state, not the home team, and the site coordinator is brought in to take care of on-field issues. The person at Oakland has not been with the school the past two years.

Those hecklers you speak would be able to travel 2 or 3 miles to Siegel if they were playing there, so that doesn't erase an advantage.

I haven't seen BGA use the advantage of playing at home the last two years give them a state title.

The games are won on the field, not by what's going on outside the lines. The teams that advance to the championship round are most likely good enough that they don't even know what's going on in the stands.

If Oakland - or anyone else for that matter - doesn't pitch, hit or field, a U-12 team could beat them.

I would hope you're right as far as no extra home field advantages - but I would have thought the same at the Warrior classic and it wasn't the case.

Let's remind them tribe33 - top of the fifth, steady drizzle, Oakland down 5-2. Tarp comes out about the time the drizzle turns to mist. Everyone except Oakland is shocked. And yes one ump told the opposing coach that Oakland's coach decided to bring out the tarp. On the way out of the park, no rain, no umbrellas, no pride for Oakland Pats. We may be idiots, but we can at least take our spankings and hold our heads up. Why would we be bitter - we "won" and you and everybody there that night knows it.

So what?!?!? It was the regular season! Tell the whole world for all I care. Didnt seem to hurt Oakland's pride too much now did it? Everybody is cooking up excuses to help their cause even before the tournament starts! Oakland isnt even the favorite in AAA, nor would it be considered even the 2nd best team. Even should the weather become inclement, I imagine it will be up to the TSSAA, not Coach Hawks.

Yes, if you played at Oakland during regular season. TSSAA runs the state tournament. I would be surprised if there are blue light specials. Tarp will be the charge of the umpires, who are from all over the state, not the home team, and the site coordinator is brought in to take care of on-field issues. The person at Oakland has not been with the school the past two years.Those hecklers you speak would be able to travel 2 or 3 miles to Siegel if they were playing there, so that doesn't erase an advantage.I haven't seen BGA use the advantage of playing at home the last two years give them a state title.The games are won on the field, not by what's going on outside the lines. The teams that advance to the championship round are most likely good enough that they don't even know what's going on in the stands.If Oakland - or anyone else for that matter - doesn't pitch, hit or field, a U-12 team could beat them.

Says it better than I ever can. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Bitter...table for one."

"You want some cheese with that whine."

Based on Oakland's play the last 10-15 games, we were just toying with you guys. We like to wait until the bottom of the 7th and then hit a walk-off to win the game. Fans like it...players like it...it's just so much more fun to do it that way. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yes, MTCS is the place.

Congrats on your daughter as well, too. Wow, I can't believe you and Stacy have kids in HS now...but it has been 20 years since we graduated. My oldest (8) is in junior little league and my youngest is in T-ball (6). I have my oldest hitting from both sides of the plate and we have been working on drag bunting from the left side today. My youngest has some serious speed but they won' t let you drag bunt in T-Ball. Man, its fun getting to teach them the game now...they finally just this year started taking a serious interest in it so maybe in a few years we'll be get to go watch some game with a little more on the line than just a passing interest. Good luck to you guys.

We have a grl that is 6 too. She is playing up with the coach pitch 7 and 8 and I have been in Paris with her all day with her league team playing in a tournament. Stacy said "I can't believe we are at a tournament for her and she is just 6". I asked her why she wasn't used to it, we have been traveling for 9 years now. Keep me posted if ya'll are coming. I would enjoy seeing ya'll again.