Hillwood and Overton hire their coaches

Metroman

Duck, there is a big difference between Kentucky basketball and Tennessee Basketball. I think you would agree with that without any hesitation. With that being said, there is even more seperation the rest of Tennessee and Hillwood basketball right now. I'm not going to say it can't change, but the change will have to include more than basketball at Hillwood.

That is the truth. Also look at the aspect of rezoning in Metro. Hillwood is probably going to lose a majority of their athletes to Pearl-Cohn. Look for Pearl-Cohn to make some noise in the next few years.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the truth. Also look at the aspect of rezoning in Metro. Hillwood is probably going to lose a majority of their athletes to Pearl-Cohn. Look for Pearl-Cohn to make some noise in the next few years.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but, I believe any rezoning efforts would not effect Hillwood as they are an academy, meaning any kid in Nashville can attend.

The only thing that I actually know for certain about Hillwood is that they hired the top coach availiable in the high school or small college market. He will make a huge difference in three to four years, perhaps sooner. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Please correct me if I am wrong, but, I believe any rezoning efforts would not effect Hillwood as they are an academy, meaning any kid in Nashville can attend.

The only thing that I actually know for certain about Hillwood is that they hired the top coach availiable in the high school or small college market. He will make a huge difference in three to four years, perhaps sooner. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Academy? What are you talking about? Hillwood is a zone school. The kids around Hillwood go to private schools or magnet schools. The kids that Hillwood may be losing due to zoning changes live in north Nashville. Even if they had an option, they would not go to Hillwood. They may allow other kids from out of zone to come in, but the other metro school do also. You probably need to work on the kids that are zoned to you right now. The best athletes are already going other places. How do you think Hillsboro gets so many good athletes? They flock there from the sinking ships (i.e. Hillwood).

How good was the field of applicants for the Hillwood coaching job?

He is right in the aspect that Hillwood will institute thematic academies, along with every other metro high school, in this school reform. It is true that any kid can attend, if there is a certain academy, or career path that is not offered in their zoned school. But I don't see too many people flocking to Hillwood, especially from the inner city, and the neighborhood people are going to continue to send their kids to privates.

Academy? What are you talking about? Hillwood is a zone school. The kids around Hillwood go to private schools or magnet schools. The kids that Hillwood may be losing due to zoning changes live in north Nashville. Even if they had an option, they would not go to Hillwood. They may allow other kids from out of zone to come in, but the other metro school do also. You probably need to work on the kids that are zoned to you right now. The best athletes are already going other places. How do you think Hillsboro gets so many good athletes? They flock there from the sinking ships (i.e. Hillwood).

How good was the field of applicants for the Hillwood coaching job?

Thanks for the information. I am a novice when it comes to basketball in Tenn. However, when the word gets out that Hillwood has hired Coach Dodd, they will come. As far as the field of applicants for the job, I don't know. My only point was that Hillwood hit the jackpot in the fact that Coach Dodd wanted to move back to Nashville... Coach has seemingly unlimited connections within the NAIA and was able to help place many kids from the 16th region in Kentucky at colleges that might not have been able to go otherwise. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I will continue to monitor the progress of Hillwood over the next few years. It should be interesting. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

He is right in the aspect that Hillwood will institute thematic academies, along with every other metro high school, in this school reform. It is true that any kid can attend, if there is a certain academy, or career path that is not offered in their zoned school. But I don't see too many people flocking to Hillwood, especially from the inner city, and the neighborhood people are going to continue to send their kids to privates.

Thank you for the update. I thought I was correct, but being a newbee to the Tenn Preps forum, I'll defer to the more experienced posters when it comes to rules and guidelines in Tenn.

I hope to see a couple of Hillwood games this year, as I have heard that Kobe's Steak House is one of a kind. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> We have several other generic places around here but I hear Nashville is tops!

Check back in February and see how it is going at Hillwood. Dodd cannot bring in a 30 year old Henderson Kelly to play post anymore. I don't care if Doc Rivers wants to coach at Hillwood, there is still little talent and even less administrative know-how in how to run a school. Unless the head guy wants to put his career on the line be changing grades (remember, Wright at Glencliff got burned even with his connections) the eligibility factor will be a HUGE stumbling block. I can understand your enthusiasm Duck, but you obviously have absolutely NO understanding of the situation at Hillwood. Words cannot describe the problems there. I guess some things you have to figure out on your own.

p.s. Goten's on West End is just as good as Kobe's without the ridiculous wait time.

Check back in February and see how it is going at Hillwood. Dodd cannot bring in a 30 year old Henderson Kelly to play post anymore. I don't care if Doc Rivers wants to coach at Hillwood, there is still little talent and even less administrative know-how in how to run a school. Unless the head guy wants to put his career on the line be changing grades (remember, Wright at Glencliff got burned even with his connections) the eligibility factor will be a HUGE stumbling block. I can understand your enthusiasm Duck, but you obviously have absolutely NO understanding of the situation at Hillwood. Words cannot describe the problems there. I guess some things you have to figure out on your own.

p.s. Goten's on West End is just as good as Kobe's without the ridiculous wait time.

Thanks for the tip on Goten's. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> You are correct in assuming that I have no idea about the situation at Hillwood. I will still attempt to be a long distance fan.

Thanks for the tip on Goten's. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> You are correct in assuming that I have no idea about the situation at Hillwood. I will still attempt to be a long distance fan.

I'd have to agree on both fronts. Goten's is MONEY!!! And Hillwood is a trainwreck!

I'd have to agree on both fronts. Goten's is MONEY!!! And Hillwood is a trainwreck!

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> From all accounts, It sounds as if Coach Dodd will have his hands full. However, if I could choose anyone to try to turn the program around, Coach Dodd would be my choice. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm guessing he'll have his belly full also, as he loves to eat out! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

• 7 months later...

Duck, not trying to rub salt in an open wound, but I tried to tell you that Hillwood is Metro's equivalent to Boot Hill. They went to 2-22 including a loss to a home-school team. The whole school situation there is just bleak. Sorry your boy Dodd fell in that hole.