DEAD PERIOD

tyme

Pay close attention to the schools using the "school name" ... Riverdaleman said in an earlier post that the team he is affiliated with is known as the "Murfreesboro Warriors" during the summer ... NOT the "Riverdale Warriors" .. Therefore, that is a different team and could be allowed to use the baseball field during the dead period as a legion team or dizzy dean or whichever affiliation they choose to use. You will see this with a lot of schools. Instead of Tullahoma being the Wildcats they will be the "Tullahoma Tornadoes" ... if you change the first or last name, it may be the same players from the h/s, but they are playing for a different team...technically.

You did read the part where riverdale man said they wear their practice jerseys and pants didn't you?

I assume that's their school's practice jerseys and pants.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. is No if the coach isn't involved. What are you going to do, run off the neighborhood kids shooting hoops in the parking lot? Come on.

2. is No if the coach isn't involved. Same thing. QB and receivers show up at Maury County Park on their own time and throw the ball around. Who can legislate that and why would you?

3. is No if the coach isn't there. Baseball is in season in the summer and it has nothing to do with high schools or high school coaches except that there's a premium on field times. Play at Columbia State but not behind Columbia Central? What's the difference? What about Pillow Park before there was a field at Central. Is that a public facility or a school facility?

4. is No because TSSAA doesn't have jurisdiction over anything outside of high school teams. Post 19 is hosting a big tournament starting July 2nd. They are using fields at Mt. Pleasant, Columbia Academy and CSCC. There will be some high school players on some of these teams. So?

I've watched 20 or more games this summer and haven't seen a school's name associated with any of them. I know that some of the teams are comprised of high school players from the same school. Some of them are even coached by their high school coach. So long as he's not involved during the dead period, it's a non issue. Who cares what the name of the team is? Most of the teams the local summer team plays have players from 2 or 3 schools playing together as a travel team and they have coaches that might or might not have ties to the school.

Schools overreact and make zero tolerance decisions because that's the easiest thing to do. AAU basketball, travel baseball and 7 on 7 football can play during the dead period for outside teams on school property.

1. If the school is locked up as it should be during dead period, then yes; run them off or arrest them for trespassing.

2. If the QB and receivers throw around at Maury Co park on their own w/o coaches that's fine. It's off school property.

3. Columbia State is not a high school facility. Neither is Pillow Park. Columbia Central's field is a high school facility.

4. SO? The rules state the open facilitites are for students in their building. Dead period says no open facilities.

If high school players use the high schools facilities during dead period, that may be a violation.

In all of this that's the question. What constitutes "facilities". Apparently a school's baseball field is not considered a facility, but a school's football game/practice field is considered a facillity as far as Dead Period is concerned.

Why is that?? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

1. If the school is locked up as it should be during dead period, then yes; run them off or arrest them for trespassing.

2. If the QB and receivers throw around at Maury Co park on their own w/o coaches that's fine. It's off school property.

3. Columbia State is not a high school facility. Neither is Pillow Park. Columbia Central's field is a high school facility.

4. SO? The rules state the open facilitites are for students in their building. Dead period says no open facilities.

If high school players use the high schools facilities during dead period, that may be a violation.

In all of this that's the question. What constitutes "facilities". Apparently a school's baseball field is not considered a facility, but a school's football game/practice field is considered a facillity as far as Dead Period is concerned.

Why is that?? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Question is are they there as High School players or travel team players?

Where does it state the facility must be locked down and no one can enter?

It is very vauge but if the coaches are not there and the "Civitan Civilians" summer team is using the facilities how is that a violation?

Question is are they there as High School players or travel team players?

Where does it state the facility must be locked down and no one can enter?

It is very vauge but if the coaches are not there and the "Civitan Civilians" summer team is using the facilities how is that a violation?

During DEAD PERIOD:

Why can't football players show up as the "Civitan Civilians" and use the practice/game field w/o the coaches there?

Because TSSAA says the school practice/game field is part of the facility.

Why can't basketball players show up as the "CC" and use the facilities w/o the coaches there?

Because the TSSAA says the school gym is part of the facility.

Why can't soccer players show up as the "CC" and use their field w/o the coaches there?

Because the TSSAA says the school soccer field is part of the facility.

Why can't the track runners show up as the "CC" and use the track w/o the coaches there?

Because the TSSAA says the school track is part of the facilties.

You did read the part where riverdale man said they wear their practice jerseys and pants didn't you?

I assume that's their school's practice jerseys and pants.

Maybe they are. But the shirts say Warriors on them, not Riverdale Warriros...alot of schools do this. ksgovols, I was aiming my comment towards use of the field. Bottom line is, no matter where the players are playing, whether it be at the high school, local park or a major league facility, the coach can NOT be there. He has to avoid direct contact with his players during the dead period whether his team is together or scattered out among 10 other teams. But when it comes to the field, the Riverdale Warriors are not using the field at Riverdale high school over the dead period, the Murfreesboro Warriors of the GNABA association are using the field at the high school.

Maybe they are. But the shirts say Warriors on them, not Riverdale Warriros...alot of schools do this. ksgovols, I was aiming my comment towards use of the field. Bottom line is, no matter where the players are playing, whether it be at the high school, local park or a major league facility, the coach can NOT be there. He has to avoid direct contact with his players during the dead period whether his team is together or scattered out among 10 other teams. But when it comes to the field, the Riverdale Warriors are not using the field at Riverdale high school over the dead period, the Murfreesboro Warriors of the GNABA association are using the field at the high school.

Exactly pedo. I get it.

The dead period is aimed at the coaches, not the players. I think school administrators and coaches take a conservative approach concerning the dead period. Some travel baseball teams will just play in a tournament off school property or something without the coach. TSSAA knows that. If they wanted zero participation and had jurisdiction, they would just make a rule that said the players are not eligible to play any sport for these 2 weeks.

We are arguing about whether the exact same team can play at a public city park, a college field or the high school field. If they are playing, what's the difference? There is none. Ronnie Carter emailed a summer coach I know that is not employed by the school system or a volunteer coach on the high school team. The majority of his summer team players are on the high school team and use the high school field for their games. This coach asked point blank if this team could use the high school baseball field during the dead period for practice and games and was told that 'outside teams' could use the high school field during the dead period. The high school coach could not be present.

The 'outside team' is outside of TSSAA's jurisdiction as soon as the high school coach leaves the team in someone else's hands. The rule is to prevent high school coaches from contact with the players for 2 weeks. It's not to prevent the players from playing and it's not to let the grass grow on the baseball field. The school system is not liable for injuries to outside team players while they are using the high school facilities, in fact the school system is included as an additional insured on the outside team's insurance.

I don't know if the confusion is from coaches with an "if I can't have them, nobody can" attitude or if folks really think that TSSAA could force their child not to play a sport for 2 weeks during the off season if they so desired.

Exactly pedo. I get it.

The dead period is aimed at the coaches, not the players. I think school administrators and coaches take a conservative approach concerning the dead period. Some travel baseball teams will just play in a tournament off school property or something without the coach. TSSAA knows that. If they wanted zero participation and had jurisdiction, they would just make a rule that said the players are not eligible to play any sport for these 2 weeks.

We are arguing about whether the exact same team can play at a public city park, a college field or the high school field. If they are playing, what's the difference? There is none. Ronnie Carter emailed a summer coach I know that is not employed by the school system or a volunteer coach on the high school team. The majority of his summer team players are on the high school team and use the high school field for their games. This coach asked point blank if this team could use the high school baseball field during the dead period for practice and games and was told that 'outside teams' could use the high school field during the dead period. The high school coach could not be present.

The 'outside team' is outside of TSSAA's jurisdiction as soon as the high school coach leaves the team in someone else's hands. The rule is to prevent high school coaches from contact with the players for 2 weeks. It's not to prevent the players from playing and it's not to let the grass grow on the baseball field. The school system is not liable for injuries to outside team players while they are using the high school facilities, in fact the school system is included as an additional insured on the outside team's insurance.

I don't know if the confusion is from coaches with an "if I can have them, nobody can" attitude or if folks really think that TSSAA could force their child not to play a sport for 2 weeks during the off season if they so desired.

I disagree. It's aimed at coaches and players.

Find it hard to believe that Ronnie emailed an answer to a rules question? They normally only respond by phone or mail on rules questions. With that being such an important question to this discussion can the summer coach share a copy?

I still ask the questions:

Why can't football, soccer, basketball, or track use the school facilities during dead period?

Our coach called the TSSAA after I volunteered (not a coach or employee etc) to let the football players run, throw, etc on the practice fields during Dead Period. "Absolutely not. The practice fields are part of the school facility and there are to be no open facilities during dead period".

Why are the football field, soccer field, and track considered part of the facility during dead period, but the baseball field isn't? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Oh, I've got it! It's because you put a different name on the jersey.

We could have run and thrown etc without a jersey on. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

During DEAD PERIOD:

Why can't football players show up as the "Civitan Civilians" and use the practice/game field w/o the coaches there?

Because TSSAA says the school practice/game field is part of the facility.

Why can't basketball players show up as the "CC" and use the facilities w/o the coaches there?

Because the TSSAA says the school gym is part of the facility.

Why can't soccer players show up as the "CC" and use their field w/o the coaches there?

Because the TSSAA says the school soccer field is part of the facility.

Why can't the track runners show up as the "CC" and use the track w/o the coaches there?

Because the TSSAA says the school track is part of the facilties.

The facilities are not padlocked and put into shut down mode for 2 weeks. As long as no "High School" players show up and have a "high School" organized work out, practice game etc..then they are not using the facilities as a HS athlete. As KS states the TSSAA can not park a kid for 2 weeks. They can however park the High School staff. If no HS coach is involved with one of his/her HS players and said player elects to play for the "CC" travel team they are no longer playing as a TSSAA HS player. Nor could they be classified as a HS athlete.

I guess I must like to argue to much, I aint got a dog in this race other than, I don't like the rules for Baseball because baseball is a spring/summer sport. The Basball players get most of the fall and winter off like it or not weather wise. Football has a spring session and basketball for the most part can be played year round. My feelings park the Football guys 2 weeks after school lets out. Park the basketball players the 1st 2 weeks of football and park the baseball players the 1st 2 weeks of basketball.

It's a gray area in either direction. And it leaves room for an argument for either cause.

peace out I am done on this subject.

I've X'd out my contacts name and his organization. He asked for something in writing because the administration at the school wasn't going to let him use the baseball field during the dead period. He wanted a clarification and he wanted something to show the administration in writing.

"From: Ronnie Carter

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:45:08 -0500

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: Re: Dead Period - Use of Facility Question

School facilities may be used by outside groups during the

dead period. They do not have to be closed.

RC

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:05:46 -0500

> Hello Mr. Carter,

>

> Thanks for speaking with me today.

>

> We have a youth baseball organization with boys 14-16 of

>age that play summer baseball in our program. We are not affiliated

>with the school, however we utilize the High School baseball field for

>our summer program.

> Does the ???closed facilities??? rule apply to everyone in this case. Again, we

> are a summer youth baseball program with no school affiliation. We need a

> calcification on this ASAP as we have scheduled practices and games over the

> next two weeks that need to be cancelled if we are not allowed on the field.

> I??™ve attempted to find this online on your website, but it appears a little

> vague as whether this applies to summer baseball programs with no school

> affiliation.

>

> I thank you for your direct and prompt response.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> XXXXXXXXX

> XXXXXXXX"

What part of 'outside team' specifies just baseball? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

The 'facilities don't have to be closed' did not specify only the baseball facilities.

I think you got some bad information 66in74 and it probably came from the administration over there. The guys at our local high school were toeing the same line. That's why the summer coach was asking for clarification. They are playing AAU basketball in high school gyms everywhere these 2 weeks. There are football camps and wrestling camps going on right now. Baseball teams will not stop playing baseball just because the high school coach can't have contact with them. Heck, there are 2 high school teams lending their fields for an American Legion baseball tournament in your county during the dead period.

I've X'd out my contacts name and his organization. He asked for something in writing because the administration at the school wasn't going to let him use the baseball field during the dead period. He wanted a clarification and he wanted something to show the administration in writing.

"From: Ronnie Carter

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:45:08 -0500

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: Re: Dead Period - Use of Facility Question

School facilities may be used by outside groups during the

dead period. They do not have to be closed.

RC

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:05:46 -0500

> Hello Mr. Carter,

>

> Thanks for speaking with me today.

>

> We have a youth baseball organization with boys 14-16 of

>age that play summer baseball in our program. We are not affiliated

>with the school, however we utilize the High School baseball field for

>our summer program.

> Does the ???closed facilities??? rule apply to everyone in this case. Again, we

> are a summer youth baseball program with no school affiliation. We need a

> calcification on this ASAP as we have scheduled practices and games over the

> next two weeks that need to be cancelled if we are not allowed on the field.

> I??™ve attempted to find this online on your website, but it appears a little

> vague as whether this applies to summer baseball programs with no school

> affiliation.

>

> I thank you for your direct and prompt response.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> XXXXXXXXX

> XXXXXXXX"

What a smart person in the way he worded it! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Find it interesting he didn't mention that some, many or most of the kids play for the high school.

Maybe even that the team is normally coached by the high school coach during the summer, but won't be over the next 2 weeks.

Used the words "no affliation with the school" 3x.

How about if he asked it this way: (A more honest approach)

Mr. Carter,

Our summer baseball team, which is made up of players from the high school team, plays together throughout the summer and is normally coached by the High School baseball Coach during the summer.

During the dead period our summer team, which is made up of our high school team, will be coached by a volunteer coach.

May we use the high school baseball fields for this team, which is made up of our high school players, to play and practice during the dead period?

Wonder what the answer might be? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What part of 'outside team' specifies just baseball? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

The 'facilities don't have to be closed' did not specify only the baseball facilities.

I think you got some bad information 66in74 and it probably came from the administration over there. The guys at our local high school were toeing the same line. That's why the summer coach was asking for clarification. They are playing AAU basketball in high school gyms everywhere these 2 weeks. There are football camps and wrestling camps going on right now. Baseball teams will not stop playing baseball just because the high school coach can't have contact with them. Heck, there are 2 high school teams lending their fields for an American Legion baseball tournament in your county during the dead period.

Haven't had any experience with AAU basketball for many years, but it used to be those teams were made up teams and not the high school team playing under an AAU banner. It would be kids from many different teams making up a team.

Football and Wrestling camps are usually on an individual basis, not as a team.

All I can tell you is that the TSSAA told the coaches that the football practice field was considered part of the facility and during dead period there is no open facilties so it can not be used by football players that attend the school.

I suppose the Youth Football league could use it during dead period?