TN Football Playoffs Change In 2009

SPLITBACK

OK let me get this straight with the listed enrollment classifications above for Sequatchie County they would play the following four teams..

District 7: 3A ??”

Bledsoe Co.

Grundy Co.

Signal Mountain

Chatt. Christian

Since there is no 4A- teams listed

Then they would fillout there schedule's remaining six games from probably the teams listed below that play football? Is that correct?

I didn't see anything about required scheduling for non-district games. They could play 6 Ga. teams if they want.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the TSSAA minutes ...

4. Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. One half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A) in each district are

automatic qualifiers (Example: 4 teams - 2 automatic qualifiers; 6 teams -3

automatic qualifiers; 3 teams 1 automatic qualifier; 1 team 0 automatic qualifiers)

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

c. Wild cards based on TSSAA tiebreakers

By the example given in 4-a : 1/2 of a group would automatically qualify (this is not rounded up) so 3 teams would get 1 qualifier (3 x .5 = 1.5) and 2 teams would get 1 qualifier (2 x .5 = 1) etc.

in rule 4-b an example would be as follows:a district with 3 3A teams and 5 4A teams. A 3A team loses to the other 2 3A teams but beats 4 of the 5 4A teams giving him a total district record that would place him 1st or second overall would get an automatic bid.

That makes more sense now.

In District 13 3A you only have Milan and Wesview. Whoever beats the other makes the playoffs the other one has to beat some very tough 4A teams and pray for a wildcard berth. Milan could Beat Westview and have a record of 1 and 9 and make the playoffs. Westview could loose to Milan and be 5 and 5 and sit at home.

I don't agree. My take is the playoff spot is determined by your district record. If M beats W and loses the rest, they'll be 1-8. If Westview goes 5-5, they'll either be 5-4 or 4-5, which is better than 1-8, so they'd get the berth.

I don't agree. My take is the playoff spot is determined by your district record. If M beats W and loses the rest, they'll be 1-8. If Westview goes 5-5, they'll either be 5-4 or 4-5, which is better than 1-8, so they'd get the berth.

Now that you have brought that up and I have had enough time to cool off, you are probably right. It still stinks that you have other districts with that will get 2 or more automatic playoff spots and milan and westview are in a winner take all situation.

jjwsiv,

Lets see if you can understand this...go back 40 years. No playoffs, just some type of bowl games. No water at practice, gas 25 cents a gallon (heck we would all go for that), minimum wage is less than $2 an hour 9Nobody wants that). My most intellectual friend it is called CHANGE. The plan is not going to be good for everyone, it is not going to be liked by everyone. You have at the bottom of your original post state organizations. Look up and see what some of them do. Lets go back to the way of playoffs of the past 10 years - how do you justify a school going 2+ hours to play games, i.e. Campbell Co to D-B, D-B to OR, etc. What about your former coach stopping the games with the Red Devils after saying it was great for both schools budgets. Whoa, now we are back playing again.

EDIT- >>>see the board rules<<<

jjwsiv,

Lets see if you can understand this...go back 40 years. No playoffs, just some type of bowl games. No water at practice, gas 25 cents a gallon (heck we would all go for that), minimum wage is less than $2 an hour 9Nobody wants that). My most intellectual friend it is called CHANGE. The plan is not going to be good for everyone, it is not going to be liked by everyone. You have at the bottom of your original post state organizations. Look up and see what some of them do. Lets go back to the way of playoffs of the past 10 years - how do you justify a school going 2+ hours to play games, i.e. Campbell Co to D-B, D-B to OR, etc. What about your former coach stopping the games with the Red Devils after saying it was great for both schools budgets. Whoa, now we are back playing again.

You let the T$$AA run their business and you go back to your ..........

Wow, I was following you until that last paragraph. I really don't think all that was necessary... Nevermind, I see that Zone took care of that, so I'll delete it out of my quote also.......

I guess in the end in my opinion it amounts to the following principles. Now instead of there being seven happy schools at the end of the school year there will be eight if a new class is added. Also more than likely it will be a public school so that will help the strained relationship of public and private schools. Also it should generate more interest in football because more schools will have a new found chance of winning a state title especailly in the lower and upper classifications. As always someone is going to get messed over just like the old system messed schools over. Some schools in the old system played up in order to avoid travel costs so the TSSAA argument for that is even more flawed. I do think it will improve the quality of teams in the playoffs but I dont know what was wrong with letting so many schools make the playoffs in the first place. As a football fanatic anything that makes football more popular across the state is a positive. If six classes does this with an added championship then great but the less teams that can make the playoffs in the end will deflate interest. However maybe with more rivalry games played when it matters this will induce interest as well. In the end most people have lost focus about what high school sports is all about. Which is playing and competing with your best friends under quality coaches as well as representing your school with pride and honor while having fun. IT is not all about championships and trophies. In the end what you should remember is the life lessons and good memories you had on Friday nights. Just a personal opinion. In the end the same schools that have been winning the gold ball will continue to win it and as a result of this the TSSAA will make more money so I guess we should always be happy.

Thanks TSSAA. Now Milan has 4 games over 1 hour away and 2 more that are 45 minutes with only 1 in county game. Just brilliant /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Add to that a possible winner take all game against Westview.

The selling point with the Z plan was reduced travel but that was the T$$AA blowing smoke.

Yes. This probably means the end of a regular season matchup between Peabody and Milan. Milan won the majority of them, but both towns always looked forward to the games. Most likely, Peabody will play Gibson County over Milan, being that PHS and GCHS are greater rivals.

Travel - yeah right - Now Peabody will have to travel to Fayette Academy, Middleton, and Adamsville. That $4.00 gas/diesel is looking rough. Perhaps members of the Board of Control own a huge amount of stock in EXXON. I know I am rambling, but I could never make less sense than these idiots.

T$$AA has lost its daggum mind.

I say everyone pull out of the TSSAA. It is not a government body. It is a voluntary body that schools voluntarily belong to. What a complete crock.

They can have an August scrimmage. It won't be the same but at least the teams will meet. Teams lose rivals every time there is redistricting, the school here lost Grundy County but this should put them back on the schedule.

Looking at it quickly and without a map it seems like most of the schools will benefit, travel-wise. They have to what's best for the majority of the schools.

jjwsiv,

EDIT- >>>see the board rules<<<

LSMFT,

This is my last reply to your ramblings because obviously you want to enter a battle of wits and I would really feel bad taking advantage of you. Not once did I ever say that everyone would like it, but I guarantee that when there were 3 classes, match-ups were better, playoff berths were earned, and state championships weren't given like candy. I loved the bowl games when they were an option. Did you know that to be eligible for a bowl game you have to win 5 games yet to make it to the playoffs you just have to finish 4th regardless of your record. What sense does that make? Now all of a sudden everyone wants to make a big deal about driving and hour or two for a game. Where exactly was that logic 15 years ago when this system was put in place? As for dropping Halls and picking them back up, it wasn't my decision either way, but I will continue to support my Eagles no matter what.

As for the links to other state associations, if you could have comprehended what I wrote, then maybe you would have understood that I was talking about marketing prep athletics, policies and procedures that have been mandated, initiatives that have been enacted, etc.

The TSSAA is in business to serve the needs of its members schools, yet it continues to fail in that objective. It continues to promote its own agenda that has been conceived and implemented by a privileged few. Speaking of change, I'm all for it as long as it betters the present situation. This new playoff does not better the present situation. It muddies the water. As I stated before, why not 4 classes across the board and a public/private split? For some reason, the TSSAA continues to believe that our state population can handle 6 classes as other states like Georgia, Texas, and California to name a few.

But why should you understand anything logical, I forgot you're from that great and mighty Halls! You all have the world completely figured out. (By the way, that's sarcasm again)

I have a question. It may have already been answered. AA District 3. There are only two teams in the 3A. Gatlinburg Pittman and Pigeon Forge. The rest of the district will 4A for the playoffs. Does that mean that GP and PF automatically go to the playoffs since they are the only teams in 3A in that region ????

I have a question. It may have already been answered. AA District 3. There are only two teams in the 3A. Gatlinburg Pittman and Pigeon Forge. The rest of the district will 4A for the playoffs. Does that mean that GP and PF automatically go to the playoffs since they are the only teams in 3A in that region ????

The way that I understand it, and I could be wrong, but only one of those 2 teams will get the automatic bid.