Gordonsville Tigers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Termite

Termite, do you think it is getting harder for coaches that are harsh disciplinarians to get players to stick it out on their teams? Seems kids dont want to put in the work or abide by the rules that the older more tougher coaches set for them.

I think it has always been hard for some....when I first played any kind of ball (Jr.High) there were some guys I thought were as tough as they come. I didn't consider myself anything other than a plain ole country boy but some of these guys I was about to have to hit were tough...or so I thought...they quit in the first week. Different kind of tough I guess.

To me, some of the best Coaches are (or can be) a real ######. I don' think I ever knew a good coach in any sport that was a nice guy on the field or court.

Rankin and Maynord are 2 of the best that have been in SC....their records will show that. Both are demanding and bring discipline and require the kids to meet certain standards. SC will have 10-15 quit this year...they will still dress out about 75. I agree with an earlier post.....football is probably the one sport that if your heart isn't in it...you need to be somewhere else. I guess that's the key...heart. Some play because daddy or mama wants them to play...some play because their friends play...some play because they can get a jacket, wear a jersey on Friday, be in the Homecoming, different reasons....A real football player plays for his COACH and SCHOOL/COUNTY/COMMUNITY but probably more than anything....he plays for HIMSELF...........and will do and endure whatever it takes to put himself in a position to succeed.

I think it has always been hard for some....when I first played any kind of ball (Jr.High) there were some guys I thought were as tough as they come. I didn't consider myself anything other than a plain ole country boy but some of these guys I was about to have to hit were tough...or so I thought...they quit in the first week. Different kind of tough I guess.

To me, some of the best Coaches are (or can be) a real ######. I don' think I ever knew a good coach in any sport that was a nice guy on the field or court.

Rankin and Maynord are 2 of the best that have been in SC....their records will show that. Both are demanding and bring discipline and require the kids to meet certain standards. SC will have 10-15 quit this year...they will still dress out about 75. I agree with an earlier post.....football is probably the one sport that if your heart isn't in it...you need to be somewhere else. I guess that's the key...heart. Some play because daddy or mama wants them to play...some play because their friends play...some play because they can get a jacket, wear a jersey on Friday, be in the Homecoming, different reasons....A real football player plays for his COACH and SCHOOL/COUNTY/COMMUNITY but probably more than anything....he plays for HIMSELF...........and will do and endure whatever it takes to put himself in a position to succeed.

Dad gummit, I hate to say this twice in such a short span of time but I agree whole heartedly with you again Termitt the old timer.

No...he came from Oakland.

So the chances of Gordonsville being the same team scheme wise (that they were under Dillard) is unlikely with a completely new coach running the show. Oakland is a school at the 5A level that in the past has success. I think it was just 10 years ago that they beat Hendersonville to win the 5A state title (that was the team that featured Roland Ogletree). Why would the new head coach want to take over at a 1A school????? Does he have any family ties or friends in Smith County??????

So the chances of Gordonsville being the same team scheme wise (that they were under Dillard) is unlikely with a completely new coach running the show. Oakland is a school at the 5A level that in the past has success. I think it was just 10 years ago that they beat Hendersonville to win the 5A state title (that was the team that featured Roland Ogletree). Why would the new head coach want to take over at a 1A school????? Does he have any family ties or friends in Smith County??????

He wasn't the head coach - an assistant at Oakland. Coach Marshall went to school

at GHS.

Did Marshall serve on Dillard's staff last year at Gordonsville or did he come over directly from Oakland????

Marshall and Dillard did coach together at Lebanon during the late 80's and early 90's under Coach Medley.

Dillard followed Medley as the head coach at Lebanon for 4 years. Marshall left for Smyrna during those years and took over the Lebanon job after Dillard.

Guest Termite

Dad gummit, I hate to say this twice in such a short span of time but I agree whole heartedly with you again Termitt the old timer.

You need to stop agreeing with me...I'm starting to get scared. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />