Is the TSSAA treating D2 fairly?

PBandJ

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think at least part of the reason for no deal on the DII games is because of lack of interest. Comcast itself might not see it as worth it to broadcast these games, instead of the TSSAA.

Three of the all-time winningest programs in the state are in DII-AA (MBA, Baylor, and McCallie). The state's all-time leader in terms of winning percentage (Brentwood Academy) is in DII-AA. The alumni from these schools are likely from a wide geographic web and, more than likely, represent a much more desirable demographic group from an advertising perspective than the average high school football demographic group.

I realize that DII football is widely overlooked, partly for public/private reasons and partly for the short playoff road (although it should be noted that the DI playoff road will now be only one game longer than the DII-AA road in 2009), but given the quality of the football, the regional/national interest these schools command (either through the alumni base or the fact these Tennessee schools are the ones that primarily play a pseudo-regional schedule), and the desirable audience that DII represents (mainly in DII-AA), I doubt that Comcast/Charter sees the DII games as unworthy of broadcast because of lack of interest. With all due respect to some of the DI finalists over the past few years, I really don't see some of those schools' fan bases as an advertiser's dream audience.

Long story short, I highly doubt Comcast/Charter was given the option of broadcasting these games and declined. Frankly, I don't think the TSSAA cared to pursue broadcasting these games.

Three of the all-time winningest programs in the state are in DII-AA (MBA, Baylor, and McCallie). The state's all-time leader in terms of winning percentage (Brentwood Academy) is in DII-AA. The alumni from these schools are likely from a wide geographic web and, more than likely, represent a much more desirable demographic group from an advertising perspective than the average high school football demographic group.

I realize that DII football is widely overlooked, partly for public/private reasons and partly for the short playoff road (although it should be noted that the DI playoff road will now be only one game longer than the DII-AA road in 2009), but given the quality of the football, the regional/national interest these schools command (either through the alumni base or the fact these Tennessee schools are the ones that primarily play a pseudo-regional schedule), and the desirable audience that DII represents (mainly in DII-AA), I doubt that Comcast/Charter sees the DII games as unworthy of broadcast because of lack of interest. With all due respect to some of the DI finalists over the past few years, I really don't see some of those schools' fan bases as an advertiser's dream audience.

Long story short, I highly doubt Comcast/Charter was given the option of broadcasting these games and declined. Frankly, I don't think the TSSAA cared to pursue broadcasting these games.

I seriously doubt that. I really don't think there's much interest...statewide. I would think Comcast declined...as others have before.

I seriously doubt that. I really don't think there's much interest...statewide. I would think Comcast declined...as others have before.

Chalk this topic up as an "agree to disagree" one.

Comcast certainly doesn't have a problem broadcasting some of the DII schools during the regular season. I am not sure what other broadcasters are declining to televise these games. Of course, the TSSAA doesn't make things easier by shoving the DII games to Tuesday.

I don't want to get into singling out specific DI schools that have been televised in previous state championship games, but I find it hard to believe there is more interest by fans watching those schools play. What does, for example, a rural West Tennessee small school, with many of its alumnni/ae likely living close to home, bring to the table "state-wide" that a DII school does not?

I agree RollRedRoll. I don't feel there is lack of interest. If they want to televise ALL of the DI finals, they should be required to televise ALL of the state football championships. If the TSSAA is unwilling/unable to make this a requirement, then they should provide those interested in watching the DII other video alternatives. I believe I have been unable in the past to receive live webcasts of playoffs due to their restrictions.

I believe is ESPN? wants to televise BA nationally then state interest on Comcast is there. Is the MBA/Ohio game not going to be telecast?

I just find it difficult to believe that there is no interest in the top level talent that they don't want to televise. These are the same players that some will watch and follow avidly on Saturdays in a few years! This may be one of the few opportunities those across the state have to see them in action at the high school level.

I have no doubt that Comcast had the option to telecast the D2 games and choose to not do so.

However, let's turn the tables. Let's say the D1 games were moved to the middle of the week and the D2 games were on the weekend and then Comcast choose to broadcast the D2 games but not the D1 games. How would D1 supporters and the TSSAA react to that situation?

IMHO. D1 supporters would scream bloody murder and the TSSAA would never allow this scenario to happen.

Why is it so hard to understand that D2 supporters fell slighted?

This is a gift to the TSSAA from Comcast. There is no statewide interest in a televised broadcast of either D1 or D2. The product in Tennessee is so watered down, and so devoid of compelling match-ups, that I would be willing to bet that any audience drawn for these events comes solely from the immediate community of the participating schools. In 4A you have Maryville and no one else close. In 5A you have teams like Ravenwood and Independence, which didn't exist 6-7 years ago, appearing in the finals. Not to mention that in the past 10 years, the D2 schools have convincingly outperformed the D1 schools, so it's hard for a lot of the fan base (concentrated in the population centers) to view the D1 championship as all that meaningful. So I refuse to believe that this is about ratings. Maybe "back in the day" of 3A, when you had Clinic Bowls featuring powerhouses like Gallatin versus Jefferson County, a big state-wide audience would tune in. But not now.

My suspicion is simply that comcast said "here's our budget for this; how do you want us to spend it," and RC said "broadcast the D1 games." There probably wasn't enough money to go around for both D1 and D2, and so D1 wins out. Of course, if I were at Comcast in charge of programming, it would be hard for me to justify spending the $$ on a Tuesday night championship game, whoever is playing. I'm sure even if the demographics are better for D2 (which clearly they are as RRR indicated), the Tuesday night fact nullified any of that. The date of the D1 game is taylor-made for a high school football broadcast. College football season is over; college bball is just starting. It's a dead weekend on the sports calendar. I watched the 2006 MBA-BA regular season game on Comcast Sports South in my hotel room in Miami, so it's not like Comcast in its past hasn't seen value in televising D2 games.

At some level I have to (god help me) agree with cbq. Eventually, if we are tired of being marginalized like this, then we have to do something about it. There will be consequences to consider (e.g., losing the local match-ups with D1 schools), but I suspect eventually they will need to be weighed against what we could accomplish absent the incompetence of these "leaders" we are saddled with now.

Why is it so hard to understand that D2 supporters fell slighted?

In reality, this is small potatoes (imo). Why we feel slighted (or at least why I feel slighted) is that I can read about the new Z plan and find comments like this one:

"When you look at the economy, cost of gas, every school I know of being in a budget crunch," said Board of Control member Lynn Brown of Maryville, "this was the only plan to me that made any sense.

"We still don't know exactly what it's going to look like (because of changing enrollment figures), but, to me, it's ridiculous for somebody out of Knoxville to have to drive to Chattanooga or Kingsport for a regular-season game. We need to play as close to home as possible, and this plan does that."

Keep in mind this is from a BOC member, ten years after we've been doing exactly that (and worse) in D2.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jun/12/s...s-high-schools/

I'd think at least part of the reason for no deal on the DII games is because of lack of interest. Comcast itself might not see it as worth it to broadcast these games, instead of the TSSAA.

I doubt that very seriously. BA is being televised nationally this year.

At some level I have to (god help me) agree with cbq. Eventually, if we are tired of being marginalized like this, then we have to do something about it. There will be consequences to consider (e.g., losing the local match-ups with D1 schools), but I suspect eventually they will need to be weighed against what we could accomplish absent the incompetence of these "leaders" we are saddled with now.

I believe that as soon as there is a full on split forced upon all the privates, there will be a split. And that will happen with the next class re-org - as DL, Goodpasture, CPA, DCA, Friendship, etc. continue to be strong (not win it all) in their respective classes.

It is sad. I can't remember the last time my local high school scheduled a private to play. Indeed, a watered down product is what we are producing now. Not to mention, the lesson we are teaching our kids.

I believe that as soon as there is a full on split forced upon all the privates, there will be a split.

You are exactly right...my friend. Only problem why is it taking the privates so long to understand that this is the goal?". All this would go away if the TSSAA would just have the "kahuna's" (?) to mandate this instead of forcing the privates to go away on their own. The "we need you, but don't want you" mentality is getting old.....fast!

As a D1 private supporter......having found this web site, it sickens me to browse around on here and leave feeling that I have done something WRONG by electing to send my child to a private school. Let's face it, most of the comments you come across do nothing more than reinforce the decision we made!

Making the move to D2 is becoming more of a reality now than ever before......and it may not be this reclassification period, but most assuredly the next as you have said. It is just a matter of time until the majority of the privates want out.......so my question is, having this happen, Why in the world would we still need the TSSAA?!

As for the current D1 privates that want to remain, I'm sure RC would let you as long as you still contribute the almighty $$.

Without a doubt, we cannot compete in D2.......not now.....probably not any time soon. I don't suspect that we will be picking up any stellar atheletes with financial aide in the near future. Contrary to what most of the "accusers" say.......you still have to qualify....then you have to be an atheletic specimen.....then most importantly...YOU HAVE TO PASS! We are an academic-first school and anyone that thinks they are going to be given a grade because they run a 4.40, will be sadly mistaken! I'm not defending all privates, because I do not know what goes on at the rest....therefore, I do not comment on stuff I know nothing about, unlike most of the one-line comments you usually get back from most of the "private-haters".

Honestly......I do not think there will be a mass exodus to D2. Why, because D2 is still under the realm of the TSSAA. Like I said before....why would we need them?

It is time someone stood up and convinced the private schools that being a part of a biased organization is not in the best interest of anyone involved.