Tips for a stronger arm?! Help please.

FredTheGreat

Im a sophmore playing baseball for the biggest school in the state i live in. Since im playing in the outfield and pitching i need a stronger arm. Since i already throw mid 80s, while long tossing, and lifting weights everyday, what else can i do to gain more arm strength. Are there stretches or certain lifts other than shoulder work that specifically strengthen my arm and what can limit my elbow pain or completely wipe it out?

__Bob Jones__

___Patriots___

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be very careful if you have elbow pain. See your doctor, tell your coach. Probably just some tendinitis. Rest is the best thing for that. But seek advice from knowledgeable people instead of any knucklehead who happens to get on the internet, good luck to you. What school do you go to anyway? If it's the biggest school in the state, it schould have a quality head coach to answer these questions for you.

Be very careful if you have elbow pain. See your doctor, tell your coach. Probably just some tendinitis. Rest is the best thing for that. But seek advice from knowledgeable people instead of any knucklehead who happens to get on the internet, good luck to you. What school do you go to anyway? If it's the biggest school in the state, it schould have a quality head coach to answer these questions for you.

hah thanks man but naw its not throbbing everyday pain. just the rare little burn. And i play for Bob Jones.

Im a sophmore playing baseball for the biggest school in the state i live in. Since im playing in the outfield and pitching i need a stronger arm. Since i already throw mid 80s, while long tossing, and lifting weights everyday, what else can i do to gain more arm strength. Are there stretches or certain lifts other than shoulder work that specifically strengthen my arm and what can limit my elbow pain or completely wipe it out?

__Bob Jones__

___Patriots___

You're a sophmore and throwing mid 80's, sounds like you're doing alot of the right things already.

Greg Maddux makes/made a good living never throwing over mid 80.

Long toss is good. On the weight lifting concentrate on lighter weights and more reps. You don't want bulk.

Concentrate on weights that strengten your shoulders. Also the forearms.

Also legs and hips, that's where your power comes from.

One of the areas many pitchers overlook is hand strength. Squeeze tennis balls or get one of those little devices that exercise the hand.

But before any of this.........talk to your coaches.

Good luck to you.

There's this rubber material therapist's use called Ther-a-Band that comes in different colors depending on the amount of resistance. You can exercise with it anywhere like wrapping it around a door knob etc. It stretches tendons and ligaments in your shoulder and elbow depending on the exercises your doing. One great one for the shoulder is to stand sideways to the door with it in hand and bring it across the body for several reps. You can also do raises and so on. A therapist told my son he should do these exercises to build a stronger arm as well as preventing injury. Good luck to you and hope this helps!

I would suggest that if you ask 20 people this question you will get 15 different opinios. I have read a great deal about this subject, had many long discussions, and have seen 100's of adds that guarantee 5 - 10 miles per hour faster if you do thier program. Some of the things that have already been listed seem to be consitent with the most common drills I hear or read - do long toss as often as possible, use a resistence band as often as possible - especially after pitching for recovery, and the rice bucket. As for the rice - we use a trash can filled with rice and mostly do this during the off season to build arm strength. This is a very old technique but seems to work. My son's summer coach pitched in the major's for 9 years and said they had rice buckets in the locker room all the time. One thing important to keeping young arms healthy is recovery and if you feel pain STOP. Over the past few years I have seen many coaches put stress on young arms to win regardless of the cost. Winning becomes more important than the career of a talented young pitcher. 3 weeks ago I saw a 13 year old kid throw 15 innings in 3 diffent games in one day during a big tournament for the sake of winning. The team won the tournament but I would argue the kid lost.

I would suggest that if you ask 20 people this question you will get 15 different opinios. I have read a great deal about this subject, had many long discussions, and have seen 100's of adds that guarantee 5 - 10 miles per hour faster if you do thier program. Some of the things that have already been listed seem to be consitent with the most common drills I hear or read - do long toss as often as possible, use a resistence band as often as possible - especially after pitching for recovery, and the rice bucket. As for the rice - we use a trash can filled with rice and mostly do this during the off season to build arm strength. This is a very old technique but seems to work. My son's summer coach pitched in the major's for 9 years and said they had rice buckets in the locker room all the time. One thing important to keeping young arms healthy is recovery and if you feel pain STOP. Over the past few years I have seen many coaches put stress on young arms to win regardless of the cost. Winning becomes more important than the career of a talented young pitcher. 3 weeks ago I saw a 13 year old kid throw 15 innings in 3 diffent games in one day during a big tournament for the sake of winning. The team won the tournament but I would argue the kid lost.

The coach (and I use that term loosley) that pitched a kid 15 innnings during 3 outings in the same day should not be allowed to coach; and I certainly hope his parents had a very STRONG conversation about it with him!!

More than just innings, coaches need to pay attention to pitch counts.