Week 0- Rebels @ Toppers

FTBMAN

Are there any Science Hill fans left out there? Topvol's boy graduated, so nobody is starting offseason threads for science hill and the offseason around Johnson City has been quiet anyway. What is going to happen when the Sullivan South Rebels roll into Johnson City in week 0? There will be a new field general for each squad as we know all about Curt Phillips (hope all is well up North) and the less heralded duo of Tomas Hill and Daniel Sharp will not be returning to SH, as Tomas has graduated, and Daniel will be focusing on baseball. Maybe some South fans can help me out here. I have a few basic questions: After last year's beating, which was orchestrated by Mr. Phillips, who is taking over for South under center? Also, what does the receiving core look like? Will Kitzmiller and Houston Martin be back out wide? They gave SH fits on curl routes all night last year in Death Valley. What does the Rebel defense look like? Coach Carter always has his guys conditioned and ready to play and Gilligan is supposedly working his guys very hard up at the Hill. I've kept in touch with a few of the guys I played at with SH last year and they say they are going to be in shape and disciplined this year. I'd very much like to see my alma mater give South a good ball game and come out with a victory down at Memorial Stadium, Spurrier Field. I started this thread very early because I went through basketball and baseball season patiently and peacefully but now i'm ready for some football

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be a better game as compared to 2007. SH needs to work on conditioning, that was a big factor last year. I remember SH fans on here last year talking about deep runs in the playoffs and they had a rough season. They had more talent in 2007 then 2006 and a new coach, but something was not right. Chemistry, the mix, I don't know:? but I as a DB fan really though SH had the goods in 2007 to rock it out. My bet is SH takes it up a notch and improves in 2008. I think SS vs SH will be one of the best games this year. Good luck to both teams. Too close to call.

I think this will be a very interesting game, because it is pretty much the opposite of last year. Last year SH fans talked smack and got rocked, plain and simple. But this year, everyone is staying quiet, and no one really expects much out of them. I don't know what to think about that. I personally think there are a lot of variables that could affect this game. You have to expect South's new QB to be a little nervous right? His first start ever in a pretty big game, South fans can say all you want about the team being great, but the thing that got overlooked by people so much was that Curt not only was amazingly talented, but man he brought his teammates games' up too. Any Mountain Lakes team Curt was on last year would have either won the conference or gotten 2nd, no doubt in my mind, he wouldn't have allowed anything less from himself or his teammates.

Obviously South doesn;t have that this year, but they will still be a strong football team. Their defense will be better, their offense will still be good, but won't have as much big play capability as last year. I think SH has more big play capability this year. I still have to give the edge to South though. In the 4th quarter, they will still be strong, and SH's legs will quickly get weaker. I look at the game to be about 14-14 going into the 4th quarter and than South starts to wear on em.

South-28

SH-14

I think this will be a very interesting game, because it is pretty much the opposite of last year. Last year SH fans talked smack and got rocked, plain and simple. But this year, everyone is staying quiet, and no one really expects much out of them. I don't know what to think about that. I personally think there are a lot of variables that could affect this game. You have to expect South's new QB to be a little nervous right? His first start ever in a pretty big game, South fans can say all you want about the team being great, but the thing that got overlooked by people so much was that Curt not only was amazingly talented, but man he brought his teammates games' up too. Any Mountain Lakes team Curt was on last year would have either won the conference or gotten 2nd, no doubt in my mind, he wouldn't have allowed anything less from himself or his teammates.

Obviously South doesn;t have that this year, but they will still be a strong football team. Their defense will be better, their offense will still be good, but won't have as much big play capability as last year. I think SH has more big play capability this year. I still have to give the edge to South though. In the 4th quarter, they will still be strong, and SH's legs will quickly get weaker. I look at the game to be about 14-14 going into the 4th quarter and than South starts to wear on em.

South-28

SH-14

Science Hill had it all last year...on paper. I would expect a whole different squad for '08. I would expect the squad that was projected last year. No one will take that kind of humiliation two years in a row. Not with the talent draw they have. So all eyes will be on the Island. As far as South is concerned...the jury is still out.

Should be a better game as compared to 2007. SH needs to work on conditioning, that was a big factor last year. I remember SH fans on here last year talking about deep runs in the playoffs and they had a rough season. They had more talent in 2007 then 2006 and a new coach, but something was not right. Chemistry, the mix, I don't know:? but I as a DB fan really though SH had the goods in 2007 to rock it out. My bet is SH takes it up a notch and improves in 2008. I think SS vs SH will be one of the best games this year. Good luck to both teams. Too close to call.

The coach brought a new system and force fed it to the players over the summer last year. They went into Death Valley with roughly 120 offensive plays and way too many formations. They couldn't memorize the plays, let alone run a sophisticated version of the spread. South came out in the traditional spread and laid it on. Conditioning will definitely be a factor as the Toppers weren't ready to play last season. South is always tough and in adequate shape, but will the new kid be able to run the offense? Not asking him to be another CP, but can he be efficient? I know the Toppers will improve in 08. The slide they went on last season, starting with the TN High loss, would be mathematically impossible to repeat again. Losing 6 in a row with 5 of them by a TD or less wont repeat itself. The fumble marathon that Karns capitalized on definitely wont repeat itself either. There are alot of people who want to talk about conference play, but there are key matchups for Science Hill against South, TN High, and MO West (If they're on the schedule again this year) early in the season. These are tough 4A's that will definitely give SH a run for their money. Two of them may even be considered favorites against the Toppers.

The coach brought a new system and force fed it to the players over the summer last year. They went into Death Valley with roughly 120 offensive plays and way too many formations. They couldn't memorize the plays, let alone run a sophisticated version of the spread. South came out in the traditional spread and laid it on. Conditioning will definitely be a factor as the Toppers weren't ready to play last season. South is always tough and in adequate shape, but will the new kid be able to run the offense? Not asking him to be another CP, but can he be efficient? I know the Toppers will improve in 08. The slide they went on last season, starting with the TN High loss, would be mathematically impossible to repeat again. Losing 6 in a row with 5 of them by a TD or less wont repeat itself. The fumble marathon that Karns capitalized on definitely wont repeat itself either. There are alot of people who want to talk about conference play, but there are key matchups for Science Hill against South, TN High, and MO West (If they're on the schedule again this year) early in the season. These are tough 4A's that will definitely give SH a run for their money. Two of them may even be considered favorites against the Toppers.

Folks, don't worry about our QB. He was the 2nd best QB in the conference last year and will be the best this year. Us 35, them 14.

When Gilligan is quiet - watch out.

I think the Rebels may be a little overrated - but their fans are certainly fired up and think they will be even better than last year. As a team, they could be. Without CP, they won't beat people by four touchdowns, only two.

The Hill's best chance is to really challenge the Rebels physically early. South struggled last year when getting hit in the mouth early and, although, I am sure their new QB is good - he is not CP. From the tape I saw, I thought the Hill's best series last year was when they went into a heavy formation but they did not stick with it.

It would be good for this area if SHHS was good in football. I am just not sure they can be. If Gilligan does not make the playoffs this year, will he be gone?

I believe South will win by a couple of TDs. But the Toppers will be better as I bet Coach Smith has a pretty good learning curve. He doesn't like to lose and he will make his adjustments. I'm not sure if the Toppers are tough enough and athletic enough up front to challenge the better 4 and 5A teams again this year. But they will be better. Hope they win them all and I pull for them to be and play Topper tough.