TSSAA Lawsuit

BDURHAM

The rules for and of the TSSAA are provided and instituted to allow everyone the same opportunity to play on the even field. The position of Mr Carter has been and will continue to be the fairest that anyone can provide. I have found him to be very driven in the regard "What is fair for one is also fair for the other".

Now look what you have done! I have done spit coke all over my keyboard and mousepad and laughing hysterically at your post.

(You did mean this as a joke, correct ? ) /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Carter has done an admirable job keeping the BOC from following their worst instincts and booting all the privates. He's working with a group of individuals many of whom have as their number one priority watering down high school athletics to insure their respective institutions will win a championship no matter the quaility of competition.

I think Carter has done an admirable job keeping the BOC from following their worst instincts and booting all the privates. He's working with a group of individuals many of whom have as their number one priority watering down high school athletics to insure their respective institutions will win a championship no matter the quaility of competition.

In my latest Carter bashing session to several of the area coaches....they expressed basically the same thoughts as yourself. Myself, being a private supporter, would have to question the motivation RC has for not booting the privates all together. If booting consist of Privates in one division and Publics in another, then I would have to say "no thanks" to Mr. Carter's efforts and challenge to Private powers to get out on their own since it is obvious they are not wanted. The fear of the separating the two and the privates leaving the TSSAA all together, is the only rational motivation I can come up with. Yes folks..it is and always will be.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The rules for and of the TSSAA are provided and instituted to allow everyone the same opportunity to play on the even field. The position of Mr Carter has been and will continue to be the fairest that anyone can provide. I have found him to be very driven in the regard "What is fair for one is also fair for the other". BA did chose to enroll with the TSSAA and therefore should play by the same rules. Now come on!

As for this comment......I would have to choose to respectfully disagree. For every (Public) school that your so-called Fair Policies are protecting against the Big Bad Private, there are 10 small privates getting their brains beat out by schools 3 times their size!

I think your last sentence is a ridiculous statement. I think the number one priority is to devise a class system that is as fair as possible to all involved. I would think most have that motive. I do agree that Carter has tried to do just that. He has an impossible job of trying to appease everyone. If you don't have one class for all...one could always argue anything else is watered down.

In my latest Carter bashing session to several of the area coaches....they expressed basically the same thoughts as yourself. Myself, being a private supporter, would have to question the motivation RC has for not booting the privates all together. If booting consist of Privates in one division and Publics in another, then I would have to say "no thanks" to Mr. Carter's efforts and challenge to Private powers to get out on their own since it is obvious they are not wanted. The fear of the separating the two and the privates leaving the TSSAA all together, is the only rational motivation I can come up with. Yes folks..it is and always will be.....$$.

If you knew Ronnie Carter; knew his sentiments about public/private issues in TSSAA; understood how TSSAA governance works; appreciated the costs and logistical issues that managing a separate association would entail; and understood how TSSAA operates financially, then perhaps you would understand how some people might find your reasoning a little bizarre.

If you knew Ronnie Carter; knew his sentiments about public/private issues in TSSAA; understood how TSSAA governance works; appreciated the costs and logistical issues that managing a separate association would entail; and understood how TSSAA operates financially, then perhaps you would understand how some people might find your reasoning a little bizarre.

Then educate me. Those that find my reasoning bizarre.....give me details on why I shoud think otherwise! That seems to be the problem, people don't want to explain anything. I base my assumptions on what I see!

I understand the problems with Private domination and the publics desire to split, yet as I mentioned earlier......the masses are paying for the actions of a few. We have 350 kids....the largest school in our district has 1100! Maybe in all your goverance and logistical "issuing", someone should look at broader picture and not categorize everyone into two groups!

Carter's name is the only one you ever hear about......and you are right, I did not know him or his sentiments. I have been "corrected" and told by credible coaches that the problems we have are not due to his actions. As for managing a separate association.......not sure what you are talking about. My comments were directed at the fear of the privates leaving the TSSAA all together. If that was the case, you would not be faced with your appreciated cost and management details. If they split within the TSSAA, then I do not see any difference between that and what we have now.

In my opion...and if I am not mistaken....that is what these boards are for......a minority of Public schools got tired of losing to a minority of Privates, therefore we all must suffer due to makeup of the BOC.

Correct me if I am wrong.....educate me is I am mistaken......find me if I am lost. I'm searching for understanding as well as being understood. If not.....just make another comment about how I don't understand, offering no explanation.

Asitis: Ronnie Carter has made clear over many years his opposition to a "split" of public and private schools as well as his opposition to classifying schools into Division I and Division II. But that classification decision was made by the TSSAA Legislative Council. As Executive Director, Ronnie Carter is obliged to follow the rules established by the Legislative Council as well as the enforcement decisions made by the Board of Control -- just as the CEO of a corporation is obliged to follow the policies and directives of the corporation's board of directors.

My comments about costs and logistical issues had to do with your suggestion that private schools might form their own association. TSSAA does more than just adopt and enforce rules. TSSAA obtains catastrophic insurance for kids at all the member schools, and by spreading those costs over the kids from so many schools, it obtains a more competitive premium than a smaller association could get for the same coverage. TSSAA provides training for officials, a system for registration of officials, a playoff system, coaches' education programs, and a number of other resources for member schools. TSSAA employs a staff of people to handle all the various responsibilities that are entailed in operating the association. If a group of private schools decided to leave TSSAA and form their own association, they would be faced with the prospect of duplicating the services of TSSAA that they would be abandoning, without the ability to spread that cost over almost 400 schools as TSSAA does now.

As for your comment that it is all about money, TSSAA is a not-for-profit corporation. It generates revenues through some of its playoff events and through advertising contracts. A very small percentage of the TSSAA revenues come from membership fees from the schools. Many of the playoff events operate at a net financial loss. Where profits are made, after the administrative costs of TSSAA and the costs of the services it provides (such as catastrophic insurance) are covered, the rest goes back to the member schools.

These are the things I was talking about in my response to your earlier post.

If a group of private schools decided to leave TSSAA and form their own association, they would be faced with the prospect of duplicating the services of TSSAA that they would be abandoning, without the ability to spread that cost over almost 400 schools as TSSAA does now.

Rick...thanks for you detailed response and the information you provided. It is obvious that you are very knowledgeable as to the workings of the TSSAA (almost in a spokesperson capacity).

The problem is...as with most of the Public/Private threads, is that no one on the "opposite" side, so to speak, ever seems to want to acknowledge the BOC's decision impacts on some of the smaller privates. I realize that, as with any organization, that not all will be happy and have no false expectations of a perfect world, yet until all parties involved have somewhat equal representation, all decisions made will always favor those represented by the makeup of the BOC.

In my opinion......Publics and Privates should be split. The D2 decision is supposed to be voted on by our particular Board and my hopes lay with the majority of our parents invovled.

Once again thanks for your info.

Rick...thanks for you detailed response and the information you provided. It is obvious that you are very knowledgeable as to the workings of the TSSAA (almost in a spokesperson capacity).

The problem is...as with most of the Public/Private threads, is that no one on the "opposite" side, so to speak, ever seems to want to acknowledge the BOC's decision impacts on some of the smaller privates. I realize that, as with any organization, that not all will be happy and have no false expectations of a perfect world, yet until all parties involved have somewhat equal representation, all decisions made will always favor those represented by the makeup of the BOC.

In my opinion......Publics and Privates should be split. The D2 decision is supposed to be voted on by our particular Board and my hopes lay with the majority of our parents invovled.

Once again thanks for your info.

Asitis: I won't get into my personal opinion about a "split." I've been down that road before here, and the same arguments pro and con just get recycled. But I do want to say something about representation. Complaints about lack of representation are not matched by efforts on the part of private schools to secure representation. Seats on the Board of Control and Legislative Council are filled in elections every year. The heads of independent schools don't seek those seats.

Asitis: I won't get into my personal opinion about a "split." I've been down that road before here, and the same arguments pro and con just get recycled. But I do want to say something about representation. Complaints about lack of representation are not matched by efforts on the part of private schools to secure representation. Seats on the Board of Control and Legislative Council are filled in elections every year. The heads of independent schools don't seek those seats.

You are exactly right! As parents of a student-atheletes...we have voiced our opinion to our board, yet sadly that is all we can do.