Rumors???????

sly

Rumor has it that Tullahoma's Cody Cleveland will be attending The McCallie School next year? Also, rumors are that Baylor's Brad Lane will be attending Cleveland next year??? Are these rumors true or is this just talk? If the rumors are true both McCallie and Cleveland will be picking up two very good wrestlers. McCallie is already loaded in the lower weights so that could have someone very good sitting out next year and Cleveland would be even stronger for their quest to knock off Bradley.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO to TSSAA.org, click handbook, click changes for this year. As long as the Tullahoma principle signs off on it, Cody will be ready to go. Here is the cut and paste from TSSAA.org

Added the following to Article II, Section 13 (Transfer Rule):

A student with an athletic record may transfer without loss of eligibility at the beginning of the school year from a boarding school (where he/she was a boarding student) to the school serving the district or territory where his/her parents live or may transfer at the beginning of the school year from the school serving the district or territory where his/her parents live to a boarding school as a boarding student, provided the principal of the student's former school indicates in writing that the move is not for athletic or disciplinary reasons. (The school must be outside the day school territory of the boarding school.)

McCallie is a pretty good academic school there man. I know NOTHING about this kid AT ALL. But no matter what, he'll get a better education out of the deal. It will be in the kids best interest to go to McCallie. If I were a principal, I'd look at the kid's interests first and my own selfish ones second. Who cares about motives (from the principal's perspective). I'd do what is best for the kid.

McCallie's Academic reputation is NOT in doubt. the fact of the matter is that both Cody and his older Brother ( who may have been a senior last year.....if not; What about Hunter??) went to Tullahoma last year. Maybe the Cleveland's won the lottery...I dunno. but the Question will be "Why didn't he go there from jump, and why didn't his Folks send his brother there?"

Hey....if I'd had the opportunity and the Money, I'd have gone to McCallie even while they were under the Death penalty...the Education and Prestige would be Invaluable to College Admission boards.

If the principal will not sign the papers to allow Cleveland to attend McCallie why not then transfer to Blair Academy. Cody would get the same education as McCallie and be in a better wrestling program. The only problem at Blair would be making the team and the distance from home. What is Coach Lester saying about all of this? I don't think that this is for wrestling. What weight will Cody be at next season if he is at McCallie?

Hunter was a senior this past year, so it's just Cody. I think he'll go 112. Should be interesting with Hiller and Simpson in the mix. I also think that Cody is going to McCallie for both academic and athletic reasons. Whether it's more for academic or more for athletic only Cody could say. He will get a great education at McCallie and will also have a better chance of moving on to a good college program by going there. That rule is somewhat vague, though. If TSSAA or his principal were to ask if this move was for athletic reasons, all he'd have to say is no. I can understand if non-boarding DII schools raise a beef about this. It is a disadvantage. McCallie's able to get a tough, proven wrestler with a year of varsity competition under his belt, not to mention a state medal, simply because they can house him. If I were Ryan and MBA, I'd be calling foul. Just my two cents. Cody's a great kid and I wish him the best of luck.

Lutte,

Why would Cody go to McCallie for wrestling? Look at how tough D2 is going to be this year:

103# Whitt Dunning-placed at 112# while weighing 100# and placed at the High School Nationals

112# William Simpson-State Champion @ 103#

112# Jimmy Hiller-State Runner-up/got within 1 match of placing at Fargo

119# Jordan Leen-2X State Champion and did well in Fargo

As you can see, Cody will have a very difficult time winning a state championship in D2. What does coach Lester have to say about this situation?