New D2 Prediction Thread

just_do_it

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any opinions about Christian Brothers, MUS, Father Ryan, Pope Paul. McCallie, Baylor or Webb?

As far as the west goes, no clue

PJPII i see as having another losing season, better than last year though, they will go as Wesley Tate goes

Father Ryan peeked last year, but could still play contender

Webb- cant wait to see what they can do, younger guys have a year of expeirence including thier soph qb, but to my understanding lost out on a little at the rb position

McCallie- lost some speed , they have pretty good skill players, ( Fullam at Saftey, John Brock RB, and Younger Coleman and Rush at qb) depending on who wins that battle, but they lack size

Baylor- Possible Darkhorse, devestating loss of seniors last year that sufferered an unprecedented amount of injuries, whole offensive line returns, they have been starting together since thier sophmore year. QB is wide open right now, several running backs return, stellar defense, lacking depth

You didnt ask about MBA and BA but i think we can all agree, at least on BA

BA will keep on filling holes in the depth chart (lets not get into the recruiting issues) losing Chris Jordan hurts but they have a couple of big time recruits this year, contrary to Baylor, depth is no issue

MBA lost over 20 seniors including a solid backfield with bartholomew and lineman Preston Baily, not too sure, depends on if younger guys can ajust quickly, but considering their first game is against that Ohio powerhouse, they better ajust quickly

PJPII i see as having another losing season, better than last year though, they will go as Wesley Tate goes

Webb- cant wait to see what they can do, younger guys have a year of expeirence including thier soph qb, but to my understanding lost out on a little at the rb position

McCallie- lost some speed , they have pretty good skill players, ( Fullam at Saftey, John Brock RB, and Younger Coleman and Rush at qb) depending on who wins that battle, but they lack size

Baylor- Possible Darkhorse, devestating loss of seniors last year that sufferered an unprecedented amount of injuries, whole offensive line returns, they have been starting together since thier sophmore year. QB is wide open right now, several running backs return, stellar defense, lacking depth

BA will keep on filling holes in the depth chart (lets not get into the recruiting issues) losing Chris Jordan hurts but they have a couple of big time recruits this year, contrary to Baylor, depth is no issue

MBA lost over 20 seniors including a solid backfield with bartholomew and lineman Preston Baily, not too sure, depends on if younger guys can ajust quickly, but considering their first game is against that Ohio powerhouse, they better ajust quickly

Briarcrest will be good this year. They have some solid recruits and one of the best football coaches in Memphis.

Christian Brothers may take some lumps this year. They lost a lot of good players to graduation and transfers.

MUS should be good also. They have a solid quarterback and i hear have looked good in some passing leagues.

ECS lost some players also but should still be in the mix here in Memphis. Always a fundamentally sound team.

St. Benedict has some good skill guys and if the new defensive coordinator can get the defense playing good, they could possibly win 6 or 7 ball games.

Just a quick comment on the statement that Pope John Paul will go as Wesley Tate goes. I would add that unless Wesley, who is a good back, has plenty of support and solid blocking, then John Paul will continue to lose most games. If their defense is not much improved, its going to be another long season. On some teams Wesley would be considered a great back, so he will contribute win or lose, but he can hardly be blamed if there is a general downturn in talent team wise. Where is Knight Time, he usually has a comment by this time in the year. His predictions last year could have turned him gun-shy, but at least give some prediction, ho ho ho. What time is it, not Knight Time. PS It is approximately one month prior to the Fighting Irish-JPII game, how bout a prediction on that game Knight Time. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

BA played an awful lot of juniors and seniors last year. They may be truly scary, although one wonders if TSSAA issues might be a preoccupation to some degree.

MBA lost a lot from last year. While it doesn't mean much, neither their JV or freshman team lost a game last year. They may be a bit thin on experience, but they do have talent. Their season opener is against Antioch; they play Moeller on 31 Aug.

My 2 cents, and it's worth less than that, says that this will come down to BA and either Ensworth or MBA this year. I realize that that is not much of a reach, but I truly believe that BA's and MBA's programs are simply the best in the State, particularly in D-II, year in and year out. Starting this year and going forward though, they have company. Ensworth will be very good this year, and they will be a lot of fun to watch.

My 2 cents, and it's worth less than that, says that this will come down to BA and either Ensworth or MBA this year. I realize that that is not much of a reach, but I truly believe that BA's and MBA's programs are simply the best in the State, particularly in D-II, year in and year out. Starting this year and going forward though, they have company. Ensworth will be very good this year, and they will be a lot of fun to watch.

How large are the classes at Ensworth? This came up last year, and it seems to me that they were keeping it at about 80 students. That makes for an awfully small group from which to build a DII team.

How large are the classes at Ensworth? This came up last year, and it seems to me that they were keeping it at about 80 students. That makes for an awfully small group from which to build a DII team.

That is a good question, and I don't have the answer; maybe an Ensworth parent or student could help.

BA and MBA manage to win with small enrollments though.

We had 87 in my Senior Class, and about 20 of us played football. With that core group and the help of a pretty good Junior Class, we won 11-AAA, and lost to Gallatin in the 2nd round.

That is a good question, and I don't have the answer; maybe an Ensworth parent or student could help.

BA and MBA manage to win with small enrollments though.

We had 87 in my Senior Class, and about 20 of us played football. With that core group and the help of a pretty good Junior Class, we won 11-AAA, and lost to Gallatin in the 2nd round.

MBA, MUS, McCallie, CBHS--all boys

BA, Ensworth, McCallie, Ryan--coed

for football purposes, this makes a big difference...could actually assume all boys schools have double the enrollment. BA has around 750 students in grades 6-12. Probably have a little over 400 students in grades 9-12. MBA is close to that in totals, maybe a tad bit higher.

MBA, MUS, McCallie, CBHS--all boys

BA, Ensworth, McCallie, Ryan--coed

for football purposes, this makes a big difference...could actually assume all boys schools have double the enrollment. BA has around 750 students in grades 6-12. Probably have a little over 400 students in grades 9-12. MBA is close to that in totals, maybe a tad bit higher.

It certainly does make a difference. Given the size of DII lines now, you almost have to be able to substitute some, and you have to figure on injuries, and some of them will be truly inopportune. Consider MBA and Ensworth last year. MBA lost Patrick Crum, a very talented RB, and Ensworth lost Tavares Jefferson (I believe that's the young man's name, I apologize if I'm wrong). MBA had the depth to replace him; Ensworth was severely limited.

I've raised this point before and apparently really honked off some Ensworth people. That's not my intention. I think Ensworth has talented players, and they are certainly well coached. My recollection is that one Ensworth parent said they planned to keep class size at about 120. Let's assume half of those are males, and let's also assume that most of the time, your freshman will play either freshman or jv football. That leaves Ensworth 180 males from which to build a varsity program (compared to roughly 320 at MBA, using the same process). MBA's rosters are consistently around 80 players. At the same proportion, Ensworth can field 45. When you start whittling down players who are actually capable of contributing, Ensworth's numbers get small.

I think Ensworth will be a consistently good program, and I think they will win some state championships. But I also think there will be some years where they have a great team the last week of August, and end the season with a mediocre record that can be traced to a couple of injuries.

BA played an awful lot of juniors and seniors last year. They may be truly scary, although one wonders if TSSAA issues might be a preoccupation to some degree.

MBA lost a lot from last year. While it doesn't mean much, neither their JV or freshman team lost a game last year. They may be a bit thin on experience, but they do have talent. Their season opener is against Antioch; they play Moeller on 31 Aug.

Back for another season! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> Actually, BA played about 30% freshmen and sophomores in the lineup last year......true freshmen at QB , 2 WR's and TB while Jordan was out.