Best Running Back in 1A ball for 2008

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I don't know about the best all over tennessee as far as RB's go but Ethan Tummins (McEwen) is probably in the top 5-8 in 1A... I haven't see some players like the RB from Manassas or the Jones kid from Speed Pittsburg this year, but Ethan Tummins is pretty solid in the backfield...

the tenneseean has him with 115 carries for 835 yards (7.3ypc) with 17 td's...in 6 games... thats 140 yds 2.8 tds per game... pretty impressive...

I would say he as the vision and speed to play at the next level (Lambuth, Bethel, Austin Peay, UTM)... He as a decent shot at mid state team and a small chance at a Mr. Football Nomination... if he keeps up these number for the rest of the year.... that would put him around 1400 yds...28tds... for the year... I'm not sure but I would say his GPA would be around a 3.0-3.75 if grades had anything to tie in with it...

You also have to remember that he is getting these numbers with a line that proably averages 180 if that... SP and Manassas has lines that are a lot bigger and sometimes does not have to play D... Not cutting the McEwen line because they are doing a good job and I don't care how good your back is if the guys up front don't block your not going anywhere, but talent and size rule up front... and it makes it a lot easier when you have big guys who can move and block...

I obviously have to be somewhat bias being from the same hometown, but he really is a top 5 -8 running back in 1A... anyone from region 5 would probably attest to that it they went to the McEwen game when their teams played them...

Once again.... not really saying that he is the best but with the course that he is on right now and is potential he could be in the top few at the end of the year...

I don't know about the best all over tennessee as far as RB's go but Ethan Tummins (McEwen) is probably in the top 5-8 in 1A... I haven't see some players like the RB from Manassas or the Jones kid from Speed Pittsburg this year, but Ethan Tummins is pretty solid in the backfield...

the tenneseean has him with 115 carries for 835 yards (7.3ypc) with 17 td's...in 6 games... thats 140 yds 2.8 tds per game... pretty impressive...

I would say he as the vision and speed to play at the next level (Lambuth, Bethel, Austin Peay, UTM)... He as a decent shot at mid state team and a small chance at a Mr. Football Nomination... if he keeps up these number for the rest of the year.... that would put him around 1400 yds...28tds... for the year... I'm not sure but I would say his GPA would be around a 3.0-3.75 if grades had anything to tie in with it...

You also have to remember that he is getting these numbers with a line that proably averages 180 if that... SP and Manassas has lines that are a lot bigger and sometimes does not have to play D... Not cutting the McEwen line because they are doing a good job and I don't care how good your back is if the guys up front don't block your not going anywhere, but talent and size rule up front... and it makes it a lot easier when you have big guys who can move and block...

I obviously have to be somewhat bias being from the same hometown, but he really is a top 5 -8 running back in 1A... anyone from region 5 would probably attest to that it they went to the McEwen game when their teams played them...

Once again.... not really saying that he is the best but with the course that he is on right now and is potential he could be in the top few at the end of the year...

Best I've seen this year. No arguments here.......

glad you guys think so too... I was a little worried putting that most region 5 people would attest to this statement... People on here are all the time blowing up their teams from a fans prospective... I was just trying to give an honest opinion without being overzelous about it... I do feel however that Tummins will not get the respect that he truely deserves due to his publicity vs. other high ranked teams RB with teams... like SP, Manassas, Onieda,etc...

Food for thought... most of the time in basketball in 1A, a Mr. Basketball candidate can take is team far into the post season due to only 5 players on the floor(%20) they can make an easier impact... so most of the Mr. Basketball candidates get to play in big games where everyone can evaluate them against other Mr. Basketball players... but in football for 1A, if you have a Mr. Football candidate he only makes up 1/2 of 22 players(%4.5 -9.1) of the players on the field... so alot of times in football instead of basketball a more rounded team can over take a team with one really good player... but in basketball in 1A alot of the time you can have 1 player carry you a long ways... With this I am not pleading the fact that E. Tummins should be a candidate for Mr. Football because I haven't seen every good RB in 1A play, but if you are one of the voters you should make sure you cover every player that has the stats... not just the great players on the great teams... sometimes the great players on the great teams have lines in which any player could build up stats, and some great players play on teams with average lines and do the same...and so on with poor lines and great RB's... which should be accounted for...

I'm not saying E. Tummins is the only player on his team...because he is not... but fact is the probably won't make it out of the first round/definetly second round of the 1A state playoffs......which equals no publicity...

In the end, i would like to add this... I don't know how Tummins feels... but I personally would much rather go 8-2 and make it several rounds in the playoffs than go 6-4 and get drilled in the first round of the playoffs... but it would be good to get accounted for what you have accomplished...