Schools being overlooked or just ignored

Biggest problem with the current format is that there are some schools making the playoffs with losing records. It is hard to take them really seriously if they do NOT make it past the second round of the playoffs. Even a school as well known as R'dale has failed to do that feat the last two seasons despite being the Region Champs and undefeated in the Region both those years. This is a school who HAD a program that went 15-0 just as little as 2004.

Does that mean there aren't good kids playing elsewhere? No, but they do not get the recognition that they deserve for their hard work.

Football if nothing else teaches kids that life sometimes is NOT fair, but it goes on and they are the ones that have to man up and deal with it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest problem with the current format is that there are some schools making the playoffs with losing records. It is hard to take them really seriously if they do NOT make it past the second round of the playoffs. Even a school as well known as R'dale has failed to do that feat the last two seasons despite being the Region Champs and undefeated in the Region both those years. This is a school who HAD a program that went 15-0 just as little as 2004.

Does that mean there aren't good kids playing elsewhere? No, but they do not get the recognition that they deserve for their hard work.

Football if nothing else teaches kids that life sometimes is NOT fair, but it goes on and they are the ones that have to man up and deal with it.

That's a good point. The bigger problem down the road with a possible 6 class system, you are going to have even more losing records get in with increased playoff slots.

As for Hunters Lane, I can only think of a few times that the team got the pub and not a superstar player. Hunters Lane in their history has been a competetive team but not considered a dominant team. The way realignment changes in metro dictates somewhat the talent level and where the players are going. HL was just a blip on the radar when a lot of those kids were zoned for Whites Creek. Simply put the Warriors don't have a consistant fan base or a ton of community support. Now Hillsboro has built their support and the last I checked Pearl Cohn had a good following but other than that metro lacks big time in support. Case in point, look at your away games. Metro schools really struggle bringing the parents of the kids more or less a fan base. Heck I remember a few years ago when barely 50 were in the stands at Hunters Lane on seniors night. Don't be too upset because Gallatin and Hendersonville both with tradition, community support, and quite frankly better playoff history upstages Hunters Lane. Ya'll do what you can it is an uphill climb and I commend you for it. Hey when you come to Green Wave country this year...invite some people. It is always better with a full house.

Question (and I honestly don't know) -

How many times have they made it past the second round? All of the schools up here have made it to the quarters or semis once or twice if not more. I can't think of one time Cheatham Co. has in that run.

Visit the new Cheatham Co. Cubs Football Fan Page at www.cheathamcubsfanpage.com/fb to find out the answer to that question.

If making it beyond the 2nd Round is what classifies a "power" program then I guess we'll just have to be left out for the time being.

I believe that 11 State Playoff Appearances & 6 Straight State Playoff Appearances makes you a pretty good football program. If that was "easy" then I'm sure that there'd be much......MUCH more than 11 programs in all of Class 3A to have made the playoffs throughout the last 6 years.

You certainly can't say the Cubs region is awful either. David Lipscomb, Giles Co., Marshall Co., Spring Hill, & Creek Wood have all made the playoffs and won in the playoffs over the course of the last 3 years. Page is not included on that list but they aren't a "pushover" by any stretch of the imagination.

Visit the new Cheatham Co. Cubs Football Fan Page at www.cheathamcubsfanpage.com/fb to find out the answer to that question.

If making it beyond the 2nd Round is what classifies a "power" program then I guess we'll just have to be left out for the time being.

I believe that 11 State Playoff Appearances & 6 Straight State Playoff Appearances makes you a pretty good football program. If that was "easy" then I'm sure that there'd be much......MUCH more than 11 programs in all of Class 3A to have made the playoffs throughout the last 6 years.

You certainly can't say the Cubs region is awful either. David Lipscomb, Giles Co., Marshall Co., Spring Hill, & Creek Wood have all made the playoffs and won in the playoffs over the course of the last 3 years. Page is not included on that list but they aren't a "pushover" by any stretch of the imagination.

And not once.

I think there is a difference in being a "solid" and a "power/elite" program.

I'd say the Cubs qualify a soild program, but not an elite program, and there is a difference. A couple of others that come to mind are South Side and Knoxville Carter. They are solid, just not quite to that next level.