To Cumberland Co. folks in charge

coach763

The only thing they can do is cut programs, teachers, and new hires. If I was a first year teacher in Cumberland County I would be looking for work right now! You probably will not have a job next week. If I were the parent of a student in cumberland County I would be starting a recall petition to remove some county commissioners from their positions!

A group has hired an attorney and Cumberland Co. has NO recall plan. You have to wait until the next election cycle and vote the !?xx/!!'s out! I heard that at the last meeting there was a group of 6 commissioners that sat on the back row and voted NO on everything presented! I am sure they are a wonderful group of guys. I wish they would go on a fishing charter with Tony Soprano!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A group has hired an attorney and Cumberland Co. has NO recall plan. You have to wait until the next election cycle and vote the !?xx/!!'s out! I heard that at the last meeting there was a group of 6 commissioners that sat on the back row and voted NO on everything presented! I am sure they are a wonderful group of guys. I wish they would go on a fishing charter with Tony Soprano!

The good people of Cumberland County should NOT FORGET what has happened to their children. Someone should organize from both political parties and form pro-education groups to lead the fight to get rid of these men and women.

Guest touchdowntech

i feel bad for all the kids and everyone involved.i played football in illinois.i understand what cumberland is going through.not my school but back in the late 70's and 80's(it hasn't happened for a long time) some of the chicago schools and suburban schools would strike over pay(something that should have been settled before school).football teams would lose the game and wouldn't play sometimes for up to 5 weeks(we play 9 games up there) thus eliminating those schools from any playoff hopes plus all the other sports losing and no school for the kids.in fact 1 time a school in downstate struck the week before the school was going to play in the state playoffs.the school fft'd the game in round 1 and were out 4 weeks.parents got together and didn't send their kids back and well long story short it got ugly and the school closed at the end of that school year b/c parents had enough.not that it was right but lets just say cops and truant officers showing up at kids houses trying to force them to go back were met with guns pointed at their face by rightfully angry parents and teachers tires were slashed among other things again b/c parents had enough of them going out on strike each year

It's a shame that the old !?oc/!!s don't see the light. Their kids(or grand kids) are the ones who suffer the loss of school time. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

It could be that, there are many retirees in the area without kids, that don't give a hoot. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Developers have been pushing property up there for about 30 years. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

My aunt and uncle bought double lots up there in the early 70s. When they realized it was 20 miles to civilization, they opted to build in Colonial Estates in Cookeville. It took them 15 years to unload the property up there in Cumberland Co. They are both dead now.

Parts of Cumberland Co. is begining to look like Florida, a retirees graveyard.

Parts of Cumberland Co. is begining to look like Florida, a retirees graveyard.

Now that says it all! lol

I hope they get this mess worked out soon. Politics can be a good or a bad thing... when the old codgers are running the show it isn't always a good thing. Do what's right for the kids and put families first! A few more pennies in the property tax isn't a bad thing. Cough up the money and give the schools what they need.

Now that says it all! lol

I hope they get this mess worked out soon. Politics can be a good or a bad thing... when the old codgers are running the show it isn't always a good thing. Do what's right for the kids and put families first! A few more pennies in the property tax isn't a bad thing. Cough up the money and give the schools what they need.

from the Crosville paper

BREAKING NEWS: School starts Monday; budget approved

By Missy Wattenbarger / mwattenbarger@crossville-chronicle.com

Students will be heading back to their classrooms next week. After a lengthy work session and special-called meeting on Friday, the Cumberland County Board of Education decided to start the 2008-??™09 school year on Monday. On that day, students will be dismissed at 10 a.m. Because Tuesday is on the school calendar as an administration day, students will have a day off before returning on Wednesday.

A full calendar was presented to the board with June 5 as the last day of school. The board did not vote on the calendar, but plans to hold further discussion at a later date.

The school board approved a new 2008-??™09 school budget, along with several reductions. Cuts were made in all the categories mentioned at the previous work session, except to the special education budget. Other items not cut by the board included all extracurricular activities (which also resume on Monday), nurses, assistant principals and the number of work hours and days for the support staff.

The grand total of the reductions comes to $1.7 million, leaving a deficit of $5.8 million. The board approved a motion to remove an additional $800,000 from its fund balance to cover items, creating a new deficit of $3.2 million.

The BOE plans to present the budget to the county budget committee for review and hopes to receive more local revenue than the proposed three cents from the debt service fund.

The Crossville Chronicle will have further details in Tuesday's issue.

• 2 weeks later...

from the Crosville paper

BREAKING NEWS: School starts Monday; budget approved

By Missy Wattenbarger / mwattenbarger@crossville-chronicle.com

Students will be heading back to their classrooms next week. After a lengthy work session and special-called meeting on Friday, the Cumberland County Board of Education decided to start the 2008-??™09 school year on Monday. On that day, students will be dismissed at 10 a.m. Because Tuesday is on the school calendar as an administration day, students will have a day off before returning on Wednesday.

A full calendar was presented to the board with June 5 as the last day of school. The board did not vote on the calendar, but plans to hold further discussion at a later date.

The school board approved a new 2008-??™09 school budget, along with several reductions. Cuts were made in all the categories mentioned at the previous work session, except to the special education budget. Other items not cut by the board included all extracurricular activities (which also resume on Monday), nurses, assistant principals and the number of work hours and days for the support staff.

The grand total of the reductions comes to $1.7 million, leaving a deficit of $5.8 million. The board approved a motion to remove an additional $800,000 from its fund balance to cover items, creating a new deficit of $3.2 million.

The BOE plans to present the budget to the county budget committee for review and hopes to receive more local revenue than the proposed three cents from the debt service fund.

The Crossville Chronicle will have further details in Tuesday's issue.

What relationship is Missy Wattenbarger to the previous coach?