Obion Central vs Jackson South Side

obionpower1

As it sounded like on the radio, Obion kinda shot themselves in the foot a few time in the first half and then again toward the end of the third quarter.

The only thing about the type ball the Rebels are playing is lots and lots of chances for interceptions and that was proof tonight. I know, it is the first game of the year but when you have the ball 1st and goal and do not attempt to run the ball...even on first down, well we saw what can and will happen. This happens alot to different teams.

As from listening to the radio, what ever the suprise was and is might have to change up the magic tricks.

The kids played hard and like I said, the rebels kinda shot themselves in the foot the enitre game with turnovers.

I will change my prediction and say that the Rebels COULD beat Ripley if they play hard. Then comes Union City.....the only way for a win for the Rebels agains the U C team is make plenty of complete passes and hope for the best. The Rebels will have a advantage in some height on the receiver ends, maybe, but I think defense and speed kills and Union city has both. Their ends are very quick and in all 3 scrimages had many sacks against big lines.

Then Brighton might be another "W" for the rebels. Still will be a long season and if the first few games end up like the first game, this will be hard to sell this style to the upside of the program.

We will see and wish the rebel team and fans the best. I know lots of the kids and parents and we want to see the kids do well.

After all, it IS all about the kids.

I know the radio guys said that between the defense and turnovers, they said some hard work was going to have to be done on both.

Could be another loonnngggg season for the Rebels.

Good Luck Rebels.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're catching on!

How would you Jacksonians rank South Side as far as Jackson teams go?

The Hawks lost 12 seniors from and 8 and 3 team last season. But, return 38 players. The biggest loss for the Hawks was losing the head coach (Jerry Hayes) but the new head coach ( Carey Craig) has spent 12 years under Hayes. The Hawks should be OK this season. Wil Masoud (Sr. QB) is considered by some to be the Hawks best player.

As it sounded like on the radio, Obion kinda shot themselves in the foot a few time in the first half and then again toward the end of the third quarter.

The only thing about the type ball the Rebels are playing is lots and lots of chances for interceptions and that was proof tonight. I know, it is the first game of the year but when you have the ball 1st and goal and do not attempt to run the ball...even on first down, well we saw what can and will happen. This happens alot to different teams.

As from listening to the radio, what ever the suprise was and is might have to change up the magic tricks.

The kids played hard and like I said, the rebels kinda shot themselves in the foot the enitre game with turnovers.

I will change my prediction and say that the Rebels COULD beat Ripley if they play hard. Then comes Union City.....the only way for a win for the Rebels agains the U C team is make plenty of complete passes and hope for the best. The Rebels will have a advantage in some height on the receiver ends, maybe, but I think defense and speed kills and Union city has both. Their ends are very quick and in all 3 scrimages had many sacks against big lines.

Then Brighton might be another "W" for the rebels. Still will be a long season and if the first few games end up like the first game, this will be hard to sell this style to the upside of the program.

We will see and wish the rebel team and fans the best. I know lots of the kids and parents and we want to see the kids do well.

I know the radio guys said that between the defense and turnovers, they said some hard work was going to have to be done on both.

Good Luck Rebels.

These Rebels will win a game this year....They're alot better than last year. They had the ball inside the 10 twice and turned it over.....If they convert there and score both times.....SS dont have two scores....Defense needs alot of work, but it was the first contact they've had all year against anybody besides each other.......They have two weeks to prepare for Ripley, I think that if the Rebs fix the turnover problems and stop somebody anytime soon....They got a real good shot of winning.......

GO REBELS!!!!

Good Luck Rebels.

ucdiditagain..... the Rebels have Lone Oak and Dyersburg before they even think about Union City. And as far as the offense being hard to sell..... Chris Hill started out 1-4 running the same kind of offense and I think you know the success he had after that. He went on to have great success with it including a 27-7 win over Union City at War Memorial Stadium. For the first game the offense did not look bad at all. They do need to work on defense and red zone offense. The score was not indicative of how OC played. They looked better offensively than at any point last year. And the no contact at practice thing was not a factor at all. I do believe the Rebels were better conditioned. Unlike last year we do have positives to take away. Yeager has a cannon for an arm and we have a good group of receivers who are gonna get better as the season progresses. This offense will catch on. That is seen in the number of kids we have out for football now.

We hope the Rebels do well. I know this will take time as well.

One thing though...S S did manage Ball control on Friday night and also had double the yards the Rebels had.

I know when Hayes played for the McKenzie Rebels, they depended on the pass game 100% and Hayes broke the passing record against Union City that year but lost the game and didn't make it that far in the playoffs...I think.

The Rebels did show they can run the ball but we will see.

Union City on the other had with Bowling will run 5 plays to 10 plays then throw the ball a couple of imtes back to back. Speed has a decent arm but is not a pure throwing Q B.

I just would like to see the Rebel Football program get back on track like they were several years ago.

It is hard to get something going when a coach come in and stays a year to a few trying to build a strong program. Yes, Union City for example is starting on their 3rd coach in 6 years...but....they did have a winning season in most of those with a Silver Football to show and in all fairness to the team, hasn't been that bad, just something Union City Football is not use to.

Like I said before, this is all about the kids and glad to see the amount of young players out in Rebel lands.

Good Luck Guys

I think Southside will win. But it has nothing to do with not scrimmaging. It has to do with trying to build a program at a school that has had limited success in the past. So you think he will fit in like all the other coaches since Bowling left? Well, Driggers was the only one to coach since Bowling left. Bowling was a good coach, but perhaps you should look at his record at OC. You may find that he started high and finished low. Is that due to teams learning his scheme or was he simply riding the athletes that were already there when he arrived? No one knows. I may be wrong, but I don't think Bowling will have to "hold back the horses" when UC vs OC comes around. As an OC fan, I hope it will be a good game because I don't think these 2 teams will be playing each other much if any in the future.

The UC paper always wants to report on how OC has ANOTHER new coach. Yet it seems to me that Bowling is UC's 3rd coach in the last 5 years as well. And yes, there are parents who butt in where they don't belong in OC, the same as in UC. I think UC also just removed their baseball coach. I don't know why, but I know the rumors. Fortunately, I don't repeat rumors, only what I know. Based on that, I don't post very often and can't comment on the reasons he was removed any more than on UC's last football coach. However, the facts are that the last 2 men to coach at OC left of there own accord, not due to parental interference. Bowling left for more money by his own admission (as would I) and Driggers left for personal reasons. Having known him and talked with him before he left, I know this to be fact as well.

Thing is, we all need to be nosedeep in our own business and out of others, be it coaches, parents, or fans.

Good luck to UC, but best of luck to my REBELS!

I'll have to disagree a little with what you said about Bowling starting off high and finishing low...If you only go by records,yeah you can say that...I would argue that in Bowling's last season at OC,which was a 6-4 season,they were just as good,maybe better than Bowling's 1st team...You take away the injuries to Jacob Fulbright,Logan Parker,Justin Ogden and then missed time by Hunter Calhoun and Chase Clanton that team would have made the playoffs....Who goes 6-4 in this state and doesn't make the playoffs anyway??..Shows what kind of crazy strong that region was at the time....If they could have beaten Haywood(L 14-12) they would have gone into the playoffs at 7-3...And as awful as OC was last season,Bowling would not have gone 0-10 and been mercy ruled 70% of the time...Bowling had the Rebels a team that other coaches in the region had to deal with,not a team that those same coaches now have a big red "W" marked in by the Rebels on their schedules...

As far as non-contact in practice....The spread offense is fun to watch and all but if you don't tackle in practice how are you going to tackle in a game??...I think we all saw what that kind of mind-set did to Union City under Fishel...As a very prominent coach told me one time,this type of offense takes away any kind of physicallity or toughness....Looks to me like you risk injury more by not having contact in practice and not learning to tackle..You can wrap-up all you want but if you don't go through with the tackle at the point of contact you are going to see alot of opposing ball carriers run through arm tackles at the line of scrimmage and turn short gains into 85 yard runs...

Jackson was quoted in the paper that one of his goals for this team was to be more respectable in their games...Last season they lost to SS 41-3..This season 43-14....OC did show more fight in their opener but something that seems to curse this team year after year,turnovers,reared it's ugly head again....

Someone mentioned OC losing kids...Where exactly are they going??...My oldest son graduated OC in 07 and they had somewhere around 880 in 9-12..My youngest son is a soph now at OC and they have at or around 1000....I know they lost a couple of athletes to other programs but I also know UC lost a couple to OC in the last year...Cancels those two losses out...

OC did look better last night than all of last year. They still have a ways to go. Tackling was poor last night but not from a lack of contact. I believe in full contact in practice but Coach Jackson doesn't. Can't say how much of an effect that was last night. I like the spread offense, but I also agree that it has to be complimented by a run game for short yardage situations like 1st and goal at the one. The Rebs fumbled on a run at that point, and I think they would have had more luck under center in that situation. But, then again, I always thought Bowling needed to pass more on 3rd and 15 whereas he continue with the mid-line. I will 2nd guess the best of coaches on calls but different coaches have different styles, and they get paid while I don't.

The turnovers hurt last night, and the defense does need much work. But there was much improvement and the Rebels are getting better. The biggest positive from last night was the attitude of the players. Excellent, as well as the fan support. The Rebels showed they have some big play capabilities for a change. New coach. new offense, and new kids but it will come together. South Side played hard and are a good team, but had several dropped passes that could have opened it up. OC gave up some big plays. Congrats to SS.

The score looks ugly, but the game wasn't. OC didn't play that bad. Starters palyed for both teams until about 2 minutes left when the reserves went in. SS wasn't holding anything back, and couldn't have from start to finish.

OC may not win a game, may win several. Either way, we will still be there for support. GO REBELS!!!!!!!!

South Side dominated the WHOLE game. OC is improved, but South Side dropped three touchdown passes. It could have gotten worse than it was.

OC did look better last night than all of last year. They still have a ways to go. Tackling was poor last night but not from a lack of contact. I believe in full contact in practice but Coach Jackson doesn't. Can't say how much of an effect that was last night. I like the spread offense, but I also agree that it has to be complimented by a run game for short yardage situations like 1st and goal at the one. The Rebs fumbled on a run at that point, and I think they would have had more luck under center in that situation. But, then again, I always thought Bowling needed to pass more on 3rd and 15 whereas he continue with the mid-line. I will 2nd guess the best of coaches on calls but different coaches have different styles, and they get paid while I don't.

The turnovers hurt last night, and the defense does need much work. But there was much improvement and the Rebels are getting better. The biggest positive from last night was the attitude of the players. Excellent, as well as the fan support. The Rebels showed they have some big play capabilities for a change. New coach. new offense, and new kids but it will come together. South Side played hard and are a good team, but had several dropped passes that could have opened it up. OC gave up some big plays. Congrats to SS.

The score looks ugly, but the game wasn't. OC didn't play that bad. Starters palyed for both teams until about 2 minutes left when the reserves went in. SS wasn't holding anything back, and couldn't have from start to finish.

OC may not win a game, may win several. Either way, we will still be there for support. GO REBELS!!!!!!!!

South Side dominated the WHOLE game. OC is improved, but South Side dropped three touchdown passes. It could have gotten worse than it was.

I don't agree at all. Yes they did drop those passes but OC had the ball at the two and seven yard lines on two different drives. You punch those in and you have a closer game. Football is a game about breaks and good teams like South Side take advantages when they get them.

Also Central receivers dropped several catchable balls that would've been good gains and kept drives alive. I will say we won't see a team any better than South Side.

If OC continues its apparent policy of no contact in practice, they will become the laughing stock of West Tennessee. Could that possibly account for them having more players out?

If OC continues its apparent policy of no contact in practice, they will become the laughing stock of West Tennessee. Could that possibly account for them having more players out?

I don't think so, considering the players had no idea of the coach's philosphy in relation to contact practice when they joined the team.

I think there should be full contact, but that's not my call to make.