Obion Central vs Jackson South Side

obionpower1

I don't agree at all. Yes they did drop those passes but OC had the ball at the two and seven yard lines on two different drives. You punch those in and you have a closer game. Football is a game about breaks and good teams like South Side take advantages when they get them.

Also Central receivers dropped several catchable balls that would've been good gains and kept drives alive. I will say we won't see a team any better than South Side.

If I was very smart in football or you ask most football coaches from the high school ranks, college and pros, dropping passes and "could haves" caught the passes are lack of scrimages and full contact practices.

These are kids and they will drop balls, but when they hear the foot steps of another team besides their own ( Which They Are Use To ), it will take some time for them to adjust. And the more player you put on the field "Trying" to catch the passes, the long it will take.

I would be willing to bet also that O C is one of the only teams in the state that had light hitting practices and no contact with any other team style.

These kids are not use to having anyone else but their own attempt to defend them one on one or a zone defense with the type run and gun pass happy style offense.

Yes, they will score some points and may catch a few teams off guard, but like I said before in my post above....defense wins games in most cases and by the looks of S S 400 plus yeards last night, this might be a area where the rebels needs to work on.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so, considering the players had no idea of the coach's philosphy in relation to contact practice when they joined the team.

I think there should be full contact, but that's not my call to make.

I don't think so either.....I think one of the reasons he has gotten more kids out is that he got his players to put some peer pressure on their friends and once school started he went kid to kid trying to get them to play...

You are right on target about the contact....And I agree 100% about being a balanced team...Like I said,the spread offense is fun to watch but you have to be able at times to run the clock out late in a half or game...You have to be able to line up on 3rd and 2 and be able to run the ball..You mentioned Bowling running on 3rd and 15...I agree with that too....If he were to have passed only 8-12 times a game that would have opened up the veer that much more..I always believed that...

Agree or not..No contact causes a team to lose toughness and causes missed tackles..It turned Union City into a team that was a fixture in at least the AA state semi-finals to a team that got blown out by Gleason last year...They could score points all day long but they couldn't stop anybody...

Have you watched Central practice? There are plenty of times they go full contact and are in full pads.

About being balanced....Coach Jackson's Lindenwood offense finished with around 3,000 passing and 3,000 rushing last season. Those numbers are generally close everywhere he has coached, balanced wise.

I realize college ball and High school ball are different worlds but still.

I don't think so either.....I think one of the reasons he has gotten more kids out is that he got his players to put some peer pressure on their friends and once school started he went kid to kid trying to get them to play...

You are right on target about the contact....And I agree 100% about being a balanced team...Like I said,the spread offense is fun to watch but you have to be able at times to run the clock out late in a half or game...You have to be able to line up on 3rd and 2 and be able to run the ball..You mentioned Bowling running on 3rd and 15...I agree with that too....If he were to have passed only 8-12 times a game that would have opened up the veer that much more..I always believed that...

Agree or not..No contact causes a team to lose toughness and causes missed tackles..It turned Union City into a team that was a fixture in at least the AA state semi-finals to a team that got blown out by Gleason last year...They could score points all day long but they couldn't stop anybody...

I agree. You know my philosphy on contact. Our kids had plenty of it. But they were the best conditioned and toughest headhunters on the field come gameday. I hope Coach Jackson makes things work whether by his own system or by changing. As far as dropped passes, SS had their share as well. Now I know SS scrimmaged and played in a jamboree, so I have a hard time believing that an open receiver not in traffic drops a pass from a lack of scrimmages. OC is not going to win their region, but they are going to go all out at every game. That's one step and I'm sure there will be more before the growing pains stop. But they are growing, and that's a start.

Have you watched Central practice? There are plenty of times they go full contact and are in full pads.

About being balanced....Coach Jackson's Lindenwood offense finished with around 3,000 passing and 3,000 rushing last season. Those numbers are generally close everywhere he has coached, balanced wise.

I realize college ball and High school ball are different worlds but still.

There aren't many on the 5 A level that can manage 3000 yeards either way.

Obion is not even close to completing 3000 yards either passing or running or both combined.

They had around 175 to 185 in the air last night and just about every team they will play this year will give them that or not.

To have a winning program, there are many ways to do so but I have not seen many teams other than Mckenzie be able to throw the ball, win games and do this every night.

It is easier to have more of a running game and go far as for a passing team.

We will see. The years that Hill and Bowling were at Obion, yes, the ball was thrown some but the way they won games was by running the ball with a pass mixed in here and there.

Good Luck.

There aren't many on the 5 A level that can manage 3000 yeards either way.

Obion is not even close to completing 3000 yards either passing or running or both combined.

They had around 175 to 185 in the air last night and just about every team they will play this year will give them that or not.

To have a winning program, there are many ways to do so but I have not seen many teams other than Mckenzie be able to throw the ball, win games and do this every night.

It is easier to have more of a running game and go far as for a passing team.

We will see. The years that Hill and Bowling were at Obion, yes, the ball was thrown some but the way they won games was by running the ball with a pass mixed in here and there.

Good Luck.

I'm not sure where you were during the Chris Hill years but he threw the ball more than just here and there. Wes Moore in his three years as a starter threw for 6000 yards and 60 TD's. He would put it up anywhere from 25-35 times a game. I agree completely that they need to get better on D and improve in the red zone. And it's not like they didn't try to run the ball. South Side just stopped them in that department. Nobody is saying OC is gonna win the state title, we are saying they are improving. That is something they didn't do any last year.

Good Luck to OC in the future, but the Jackson SS OC game was a total mismatch. Remember this was SS fist game as well.

Rushing: Jackson SS 357 yards Obion Central 44 yards

This was in the paper about one of the interceptions:

With the Hawks holding a comfortable 28-8 lead in the third quarter, Smith picked off a Jackson Yeager pass at the South Side 10-yard line and returned the ball 90 yards at the 1:34 mark.

"I sensed it," Smith said of the interception. "Our defensive coaches told me to watch for the screen and I was in the right place at the right time, and there was no doubt when I picked it off."

Good Luck to OC in the future, but the Jackson SS OC game was a total mismatch. Remember this was SS fist game as well.

Rushing: Jackson SS 357 yards Obion Central 44 yards

This was in the paper about one of the interceptions:

With the Hawks holding a comfortable 28-8 lead in the third quarter, Smith picked off a Jackson Yeager pass at the South Side 10-yard line and returned the ball 90 yards at the 1:34 mark.

"I sensed it," Smith said of the interception. "Our defensive coaches told me to watch for the screen and I was in the right place at the right time, and there was no doubt when I picked it off."

Seeing as OC is a predominantly passing team, the rushing numbers are gonna show a mismatch. OC was still in the game at the point of the interception. SS scored on a 85 yard TD run after OC turned the ball over when they had first and goal from the two and first and goal from the seven when the aforementioned INT happened. If OC scores TD's instead of turnovers this game was much closer. Like I said before good teams take advantage of those mistakes and that's what the Hawk's did. Fortunately everything OC did wrong in this game can be fixed.

After watching OC in their opener at Jax SS, I would have to say that there was alot of good that came out of the game. OC's offense did look MUCH better than last season, and this bunch can and I think will move the ball. The "D" does need some work, but it did seem that some adjustments did help out as the game went on. OC has two weeks to prep for Ripley, a region game, and I think this is a game the Rebs can win, with a solid effort. Coach Jackson and his team will work, and will get ready for what I think will be OC's first football win in a while, and it will not be the only win of this season. This bunch will be fun to watch.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Improvement is the goal right now. No one should have expected the Rebels to come out and go 10-0 this year. No one expects OC to pass for 3000 yards this year. But the Rebels are improved and will continue to do so. That is the start the Rebels needed to make and did. Seems some of the posters want to put down Friday night's game, but I agree they made progress. Yes it was also South Side's 1st game of the season. And yes South Side won handily. But having been there, the score was not indicative of how the Rebels played. As someone else stated, South Side capitalized on OC mistakes like good teams do. SS will do well this year. But I have no doubt whether win or lose, the Rebels have and will continue to improve regardless of ther record after week 10.