Halls @ Sevier County

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Devils will romp and stomp a mud hole in Sevier Co tomorrow night. I have but one question...why in the world do we play Sevier Co.? They are a 5A team that won the state in 1999. Couldn't we be playing someone here in K-town, instead of travelling to Sevierville for a game every other year?

One reason is probably because Bearden is already on the schedule. I doubt that they would want Farragut and Bearden at the same time, but Catholic or Webb would be options. I think the same question could be asked of Sevier County though. Why play Halls? At least SC won their title in the last decade. Plus, they've won at least 5 games a year since 1997. I think it's a good series. Besides, it could be worse; I'm a Powell fan, and I've never understood why the Panthers continue to play Campbell County and Karns, 2 teams that combined have only one winning record between them since the major reclassification period in 1993.

The more I watch the film from the Maryville/Halls game the more I am convinced that Halls has an impressive offensive and defensive line.

Combined with the speed of there tailbacks and their quick cover ability on defense, I look to see Halls dominate this game.

This begins their march to a rematch with Maryville in the playoffs!

The more I watch the film from the Maryville/Halls game the more I am convinced that Halls has an impressive offensive and defensive line.

Combined with the speed of there tailbacks and their quick cover ability on defense, I look to see Halls dominate this game.

This begins their march to a rematch with Maryville in the playoffs!

Interesting. Halls fans starting to gain confidence. Talking about romping, stomping and dominating. I like it. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Agree with your assessment of the line play and its importance. Everyone usually focuses on the skill players but I believe that this one will be decided by the "big uglies" upfront on both sides of the ball. It seems that Halls always has a very physical presence in the trenches and it sounds like this years team is no different. The Bears are bigger upfront than last year so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Devils will romp and stomp a mud hole in Sevier Co tomorrow night. I have but one question...why in the world do we play Sevier Co.? They are a 5A team that won the state in 1999. Couldn't we be playing someone here in K-town, instead of travelling to Sevierville for a game every other year?

Nice to see a Halls fan making their first post. I am not sure about stomping and mud holes but I hope Halls can control the line of scrimmage and contain the SC passing game from making big plays.

I like the series with SC. It gives the team a chance to play a great team. It doesn't pad stats, but I think it is better to play a good opponent and lose than it is to play someone that shouldn't have a chance of winning. Those games feel like "nothing to gain and everything to lose" situations. Halls has always tried to play good teams that travel well when they come to our house. It is a good trade off.

I picked Halls to win, but I think it will feel like a very close and physical game into the fourth quarter.

SCHS2008

Thanks for the update on Aaron. His return should help the passing attack if nothing else just because of the deep threat that his speed will provide us with. Does anyone know if he will also play in the secondary?

By the way, welcome to all of these SCHS fans that have found their way to CoachT recently. Hope that everyone continues to bring it strong!

Yes aarons speed will have to b utilized somewhere. I doubt he will b used in the secondary

Here is what I expect/hope to see from the Red Devils:

1.) Expect to see more carries from the featured backs other than O'laughlin. I expect to see Gibson, McGill and/or Pixley get a combined total of between 5 - 10 carries. As a result, look for O'laughlin's yardage to GO UP. I felt it was unfair to him last week to take so many shots, especially early. At the end Mville adapted to his style, and began to tee off on him. Hopefully he will get fewer carries, which a think will give him (and the team) more yardage!! Expect him to go over 100 yards if the other guys get some more carries.

2.) Waggoner is due a breakout game, and Burton is improving each time out. I expect these two to combine for over 100 yards - they will be needed to get the TOUGH yardage, which most will be agaist Seveir County.

3.) We will have to be more effective passing the ball. Chad Bright (#37) looks to help as he is a playmaker (right now we don't have any of those). Also, BJ (#2) should be back (although not full speed).I expect to see more passes, but also expect to see some sacks and/or pics. If so, defense will need to step up.

4.) I saw some pretty good players last week, but no one that had the "WOW" factor. We need a "WOW" guy to step up.

** If these things happen, I take Halls to win 23-21 (yes, 3 FG's). Otherwise, 0-2 could be looming on the horizon.

One reason is probably because Bearden is already on the schedule. I doubt that they would want Farragut and Bearden at the same time, but Catholic or Webb would be options. I think the same question could be asked of Sevier County though. Why play Halls? At least SC won their title in the last decade. Plus, they've won at least 5 games a year since 1997. I think it's a good series. Besides, it could be worse; I'm a Powell fan, and I've never understood why the Panthers continue to play Campbell County and Karns, 2 teams that combined have only one winning record between them since the major reclassification period in 1993.

Powell plays Karns because it is a border rivalry. It brings a huge gate to whichever team is hosting that particular year and that is something that is needed with a least one of your non region games.

Powell hasn't played Campbell County as a regular opponent over the years. Up until last year they the two teams hadn't met for 4 years and prior to that, if memory serves it was a two year contract, then, as well.

Of course, those reasons are irrelevant beginning next year. Both Karns and Campbell County will likely be in the realigned district set up with Powell.

Powell has tried to play different teams over the last few years. They have had home and home games with teams like Sevier County, Morristown-East, Farragut, Webb, McCallie, and others. They've played a lot of different schools in the non-region slots. Next year with the new district setup they will likely be adding Oak Ridge, Catholic, and Anderson County as district opponents. There looks to be 9 teams in that district, which means that each team in the district will only have two non-district slots to fill.

i really dont kno why sc plays halls. it does create an interesting game for my dad and I. My dad is an alum of Halls & played football and I am an alum of sc.

After reading my earlier post, let me clarify a few things:

- James O'Laughlin had a great game for a Soph. and might deserve player of the game honors. I like him, and think he will be great someday.

- My point is this, great sophmores NEVER beat great seniors. I know this, and so do most others. Bearden showed last year what a great group of seniors can do. 17 and 18 year olds ALWAYS beat 15 and 16 year olds.

- I guess my concern is if he gets 85% of our offense(like last night), and he is a Soph., what does that say for the year? Again, a Soph led team will never compete with a JR and SR led team. Are we giving this year away for the future?

- Again, I think James is a very good player and young man. I just feel right now, this early in the season, I would rely more on the older boys. I could quote all the numbers from the scrimmages (and game) and you would be shocked at how well Zach Gibson has done.

My two cents, but nowadays two cents ain't worth much.

Looks like you were prophetic there Ironman. Once Gibby FINALLY got to touch the ball and once K Wagg FINALLY got some touches SC couldn't stop our offense, except of course when we went to the air.

Looks like you were prophetic there Ironman. Once Gibby FINALLY got to touch the ball and once K Wagg FINALLY got some touches SC couldn't stop our offense, except of course when we went to the air.

I'm pretty frustrated right now. The team needs to keep their heads up and realize they've got practically the whole season ahead and it can be a great year!! I'll betcha SC didn't have over 50 yds running the ball. The defense was brutal against the run.