Clinton vs Maryville

mich2tn

Clinton is a dangerous team. Maryville can't overlook them. Darian Stone and Wes Hazlehurst are outstanding football players. Clinton has another thing going for them. Ritchie Marsh and Jason Rhody are geniuses.

Your right, Maryville can't overlook Clinton, I think Maryville wins this game based on coaching and a their winning experience, Clinton can win, but they need to play a mistake free game, Clinton has talent at its skill positions, should be a good game, or a better game than in years past.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MARYVILLE 42

CLINTON 10

I have to laugh at this, because from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look like Clinton will be hitting any field goals this year. If they could even hit PATs, they would be 1-0 instead of 0-1 right now. Perhaps they could reach 10 by scoring a touchdown, a two- point conversion and a safety!

Seriously, this is the best Clinton team in years. Hazelhurst and Stone are outstanding players, and they have several more talented guys playing receiver and tight end. However, Maryville is still Maryville and they have a knack for making even the most talented players look rather pedestrian. I think this game will be closer than it has been, but...

Maryville 31

Clinton 16

I agree with what another poster says about Rhodey and Marsh! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Maryville should roll easily.

My prediction is Maryville 42, Clinton 7.

No offense to Maryville's competition, but I honestly don't see a team on the rest of their regular season schedule that will stay within three touchdowns of them. That's not a putdown of the competition, that is a compliment to Maryville.

When your over confident that is exactly the time a team will be upset. I don't know if Clinton can beat Maryville this year what I do know is they don't give up very easy and have some talented position players in Hazelhurst and Stone. Maybe a scare but who knows. I think a lot closer score than most people realize and could be the #2 or #3 in this District. I know they gave AC all they wanted.

When your over confident that is exactly the time a team will be upset. I don't know if Clinton can beat Maryville this year what I do know is they don't give up very easy and have some talented position players in Hazelhurst and Stone. Maybe a scare but who knows. I think a lot closer score than most people realize and could be the #2 or #3 in this District. I know they gave AC all they wanted.

I don't think I'm being overconfident; I think I am being realistic. Besides, it really doesn't matter what I think because I don't play or coach. I was simply expressing an opinion.

I agree with your point that teams will be more likely to be upset when they are overconfident or overlooking somebody. However, if 62 wins in a row, and the entire George Quarles era for that matter, proves anything about the Maryville program, it proves that they do not overlook teams. They do a great job of staying focused in the present.

Great point Flash. I don't think taking measure of the opponent is what drives the Rebels at all anymore. Talk to the players. Carrying the mantle of "The Streak" and knowing the target on their backs cannot grow any larger or smaller than it already is means taking care of business every single week regardless of who is on the other side of the scoreboard.

Does Marsh coach at Clinton? Does he teach /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Ritchie teaches at Clinton. Ritchie has been at Clinton for 3 seasons now. My nephew coached there in 2006 and 2007. My nephew is coaching at Tusculum now. Through my nephew I met Ritchie Marsh and Jason Rhody. Rhody could run for mayor in Clinton and win in a landslide. I like to aggravate Ritchie and Jason.

I don't think I'm being overconfident; I think I am being realistic. Besides, it really doesn't matter what I think because I don't play or coach. I was simply expressing an opinion.

I agree with your point that teams will be more likely to be upset when they are overconfident or overlooking somebody. However, if 62 wins in a row, and the entire George Quarles era for that matter, proves anything about the Maryville program, it proves that they do not overlook teams. They do a great job of staying focused in the present.

That is a great point and always one of my thoughts.

Clinton could be the strongest since Jimmy Gaylor was the HC up there. Part of what has set Maryville apart from many, has been their ability to prepare and focus on one team at a time. I think among all the things the coaching staff does right at MHS is work hard to keep it this way. It is the team schedule during the season. Every week they practice the same things on the same day. The players never wonder what they are going to work on that day at practice. In this way they are mentally prepared to be coached.

Maryville will be prepared for an improved Clinton team and the high of beating Alcoa again needs to go away. Clinton my not be a one dimensional team any longer like years past so something??™s will have a different look. The good thing is Maryville looks like they are finding this teams identity and developing the playmakers.

A Maryville win would make them 2-0 in the region and that needs to be the focus not the streak.