Riverdale - Coffee Co time change

mr300bowl

Pedo - You are mistaken about the Lady Raider soccer team fund raising. I understand that they had a Bonnaroo booth during the summer, did a car wash, sold ads for a soccer program, sell candy during the school year, have sold options for oil changes, amongst other things that you seem not to be aware of. They do, in fact, try very hard to raise money.

Let's give the program credit. It tries much harder than it used to and has many new ideas to raise money. That part of the program is going in the right direction. But I have heard the same complaint from CHS soccer folks as I'm reading about Riverdale here - using the football field and what not. Granted Riverdale seems to have more of a gripe if what I'm reading is true - if the stadium is listed as a multi sport facility. But I still don't agree with it ... But I was using CHS soccer as an example. I have heard the same rumblings in Manchester... "tax payers pay for the stadium so we should get to use it" .... lame reasoning. And it's not flying here all that well. So it doesn't suprise me that it isn't flying at Riverdale.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's give the program credit. It tries much harder than it used to and has many new ideas to raise money. That part of the program is going in the right direction. But I have heard the same complaint from CHS soccer folks as I'm reading about Riverdale here - using the football field and what not. Granted Riverdale seems to have more of a gripe if what I'm reading is true - if the stadium is listed as a multi sport facility. But I still don't agree with it ... But I was using CHS soccer as an example. I have heard the same rumblings in Manchester... "tax payers pay for the stadium so we should get to use it" .... lame reasoning. And it's not flying here all that well. So it doesn't suprise me that it isn't flying at Riverdale.

Hopefully, this will put this topic to bed. Cooler heads prevailed and with the support of Principal Nolan, the Lady Warriors will play the remainder of their home games at the multisport Tomahawk stadium, except for the game next Thursday with White Co. This was announced at the booster meeting tonite after the game with Lebanon. Christiana Middle school will be moving up the start times of the conflicting games so the soccer games can start at 7pm. Thanks to all the posters for your opinions and support.

Hopefully, this will put this topic to bed. Cooler heads prevailed and with the support of Principal Nolan, the Lady Warriors will play the remainder of their home games at the multisport Tomahawk stadium, except for the game next Thursday with White Co. This was announced at the booster meeting tonite after the game with Lebanon. Christiana Middle school will be moving up the start times of the conflicting games so the soccer games can start at 7pm. Thanks to all the posters for your opinions and support.

Good job and congrats.

One of the best moments I have seen Lately was At FRA when boys HS football team had to play a scrimage on the practice field because the girls soccer team had a scrimmage scheduled at the same time. The parents from the other school could not believe they were walking past the beautiful stadium to the practice field while "girls soccer" was being played. I love and support football but the look on the faces of football fans was priceless.

Good solution. Sounds like all parties should be satisfied

in the case of FRA girls soccer having priorty over there football team, could be because the soccer team wins more and attracts more attention then there football team which never happens at any other school.

on a side note, just because I like to stir things up, lets hear more about "multipurpose" facilities. This is not limited to just girls soccer and football. At our school, we have a common wieght room and football always gets it first before any other sport. Our gym has to be shared between volleyball and basketball in the early fall, and basketball and wrestling in the winter. Basketball always gets priority over wrestling, so should we say that is cause for an uproar?

People need to be reasonable. Here is an idea, get a facilities calendar and have each coach sign up for times they need the fields and for what reason they need it if it has to be shared. High School games take priority of any middle school event. Games take priority over practices in the case of football and soccer. Using a little common sense in the matter can go a long way.

I finally read all the posts for this topic. I love soccer (coached hs for 18 seasons) and football, but let us get real concerning the issue. Girls soccer will never get out from the shadow of football - soccer is viewed by those ignorant of the "beautiful game" as a foreign sport. Even though this is stupid, it is true.

Concerning the "football field" belief - for most schools in the state the sport of soccer (particularly girls) wasn't even a high school sport when most stadiums were built, so you are fighting that "football" is the ONLY sport mentality and should be the ONLY sport that ever plays on the "football" field. If a football team raised money to build the stadium, then they should be the only ones to play on it. I would venture to say almost no school has done that in the entire state, but I don't know that answer. It was paid for by taxpayer money; therefore it should be used by all sports. Get out of the dark ages pedo_29 and step into the 21st century.

I am curious pedo_29 - are you married and do you have any daughters? If yes to the daughter question, then would you feel differently if your daughter wanted to play soccer? If you answered no to the previous question, then would it be mandatory for her to be a football cheerleader, so she could "use" the facilities.

Sorry for the harshness, but it chaps my hide when football supporters always think they are the ultimate sport. They may attract more fans, but maybe the rest of the world has it right and we in America are backwards - we even named the sport wrong - it should have been called "carryball"!

We aren't talking about the siegel game, we are talking about the Coffee County game. I doubt CHS brought busloads of fans down there. Where the stands overflowing? .... And like I said, if you don 't like it do like a lot of programs are forced to do - raise your own money and build a bigger and better field. If it weren't for football and the money it generates small sports like soccer wouldn't even be around.

Pedo,

DIDNT you learn to keep your mouth shut last year with your band comments. And as a "small" sport coach my program has not recieved one red cent from the football program. So dont scream that message of UNTRUTH.

By the way, is freshman baseball a small sport?

Pedo, one can't argue with the statement that football gate brings in a lot of money. (I would also submit, however, that the average cost per player to outfit one football player is probably quite a bit more than to outfit one soccer player, but that is besides the point). I know that in college, it is even a bigger disparity, but luckily, it hasn't become that in highschool (yet).

I guess that I get tired of soccer being considered a "small sport" (US women's soccer wins gold medal at the Olympics, one of the most popular sports not just in the world, but in America alone, etc.) Yes, in the United States football is king in most of the parts of the country, but I think soccer has surpassed "small sport" here in TN (sadly, though, only in SOME areas). In Knoxville, while we have football teams like Maryville, Alcoa, Webb, and others who have won 10+ state championships in football in the past 7 years, we also have the joy of having Bearden, Farragut, Catholic, and CAK soccer who have won 10+ in the guys and 3+ in the girls over the past 7 years.

Is it like this everywhere? Of course not. You will find most large cities have a larger soccer following, but it is growing (shoot, Chuckey Doak is by far not a city school, but has had some great success in their lady's program in the past).

Personally, I am glad that we are blessed with our own soccer field, and not have to share with football, but again, we are in the minority. Even the powerhouse of Farragut soccer doesn't have it's own soccer field (of which I have chided coach Culbreth on MANY occasions! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ). But things are growing and changing. Soccer is growing and changing. But no matter how big it gets, you will always have the "football" crowd and the "soccer" crowd that don't see eye to eye on many things, and probably never will. I have learned though, that on these boards, my scope and vision has gotten broader (just ask MVM and EastTNref... you find common ground even in things you dissagree on!)

Can't understand why anyone would complain about girls soccer being mistreated shoot at our High School in Warren Co-the football team sends half their team from their practice field to our game field and practices when we are not on the pitch-Now that is cooperation.

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> This is great. Coachof3 do you remember the time when I mowed and lined our game field after practice the day before a big district game and it rained that night so the football coach because he did not want to ruin their practice field held practice with the varsity, JV, and 9th grade football teams on our game field? The next evening when I came to our field to get ready for the game the football team was leaving our field and they were all covered in mud and our game field was one big mud hole. When I complained to the AD, who knew that the FB team was using our game field for their practice, I was quickly reminded that football and basketball are the only two revenue sports at the High School and they fund all the other sports. I replied by saying that we did not get one red cent from the school system or either of these two "revenue sports." Soccer is totally funded including the building of our field and its maintenance by the booster club. What a joke!