News from Wilson County....

Football Man

I would have more respect for the politicians if they just stuck a gun in my face and said "Stick em up". At least that would be honest and up front with me that they are trying to rob me, but as it is now and using kids lives for the weapon I have NO respect for any of them!

Cunberland County, Wilson County.......Who is next? /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" />

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt this happens and if it does, I am sure that many coaches will continue to coach this season. It is ashame that this could happen, Football molds more young men than any other individual activity or class in America. It is a source of structure, commitment, resposibilty, and family. Whomever is responsible for suggesting the answer was to cut coaches pay should have no decision making authority with our youth whether it is education or athletics. The person who suggested this as an answer is a bonefied dumbass

I personally was very good at math, but I never had a math teacher influence my life like my football coaches.

I am a man of strong values, great work ethic, and a dependable employee not because of math, english, or science classes but because of sports in my youth and family.

Very well said....As for the coaches, I heard that they will not be allowed to VOLUNTEER their time after school either. Its going to effect all the hopes for scholarships with all the athletes who have worked their butts off since they were little kids, dreaming of one day becoming a star player. Also, not to mention how much sports bring the school together. Imagine how the seniors feel, last year in highschool and not even being able to cheer your friends on, knowing that you may not ever see them agian, once everyone has gone off to college. All I can say is, hope for the best Wilson County....

Lebanon, Wilson Central, Mount Juliet, and Watertown....Youve all got games this week, so keep focused!

I think it is SICK that this is an option do these people not realize how many kids are being kept OFF THE STREETS and in a CLASSROOM because of a sport...while they may not have the grades to go to college the only thing keeping that child in high school is a sport a lot of people get caught up in the going to college stuff but the real world is there are a LOT OF KIDS that graduated high school just because of sports if it hadnt been for the SPORT they would have dropped out of high school doing who knows what let me ask you this....did those same commisioneers cut there pay for their meetings they go to oh no lets just cut the coaches pay

i hope if they are really putting this into effect that all region 4 teams set out buckets at their games to help give the coaches of lebanon and wilson central something to continue through the rest of the year...probably will be ALOT less than their regular salary but nobody wants their season to end like that. would put 2 forfeit wins on a few teams schedules and i think they would rather play to determine the results.

of course their are bigger causes to put a donation bucket out like the hurricane gustav, but i just hope something can be done to prevent this. im sure both schools boosters are already working towards that.

Don't forget about Mt. Juliet High and Watertown!

I'll bet the superintendant didn't take a pay cut!

In reality, the new director of schools is a large part of the problem. The new Mt. Juliet High is built off of a side country road. Wilson Central was (and is) built in the sticks. But when it came time to build at new Lebanon High, he didn't want to choose a cost effective piece of property - he literally said "we need to make a statement" with the new Lebanon High. So they purchased a piece of prime location real estate that was millions more than the other options. And now, he wants to spend a million more for a new school design when WC and MJ plans are fully available. Idiot!

All the while, not only are kids going without sports potentially. Kids are going without books and workbooks. I know as I bought my child's entire class their workbooks.

Did Wilson County leadership come from Cumberland County? I know this is not really funny. But, what is going on here? Is this something we can expect to happen to other school systems?

exactly my thoughts..whats going on to cause this ..i know politics is the majority in most all school systems, however is this gonna be a stepping stone for other schools to start..if as one poster stated why pay millions just for design plans..

wise up political power gurus use your head for summing else than a hat r-a-c-k...if your son or daughter was involved in sports the $$ would be there

Several of the Wilson County Commissioners own huge tracts of land -- land they would have to cough up additional taxes for if the rate was upped. I think their main interest is keeping $$$ in their own pockets. Kids deserve the opportunity to compete, march in the band, cheer, sing in the choir or act in a play.

If the plug is pulled, don't think for a minute that some of the D-2 schools won't be sending buses into Wilson County to cherry pick senior athletes. As I understand it, these kids would be ruled eligible immediately on a hardship basis.

In reality, the new director of schools is a large part of the problem. The new Mt. Juliet High is built off of a side country road. Wilson Central was (and is) built in the sticks. But when it came time to build at new Lebanon High, he didn't want to choose a cost effective piece of property - he literally said "we need to make a statement" with the new Lebanon High. So they purchased a piece of prime location real estate that was millions more than the other options. And now, he wants to spend a million more for a new school design when WC and MJ plans are fully available. Idiot!

All the while, not only are kids going without sports potentially. Kids are going without books and workbooks. I know as I bought my child's entire class their workbooks.

i know some classes that ordered work books four weeks ago and they still are not there. as for the tax the people are idiots. you cant have this much growth in a county and not raise property tax seems simple to me. all i got to say is if they cut out sports there wont be to many being reelected

i know some classes that ordered work books four weeks ago and they still are not there. as for the tax the people are idiots. you cant have this much growth in a county and not raise property tax seems simple to me. all i got to say is if they cut out sports there wont be to many being reelected

It's not the growth that puts the strain on the financial system as each new household (house) pays the property tax. The real problem is the not keeping pace with inflation. The last tax increase was in 2000 I believe. That was eight years ago. The cost of everything has risen since then - gas, construction costs, books, and on and on. For the life of me, I don't understand why property tax rates aren't tied to inflation rates. Inflation goes up or down, the tax rate mirrors it. It would allow for that money to always be there without having special interests deciding when and how it should be adjusted.

I have heard that the new MJ high school was over a million dollars over budget. That is not saying anything negitive about MJ, they have a "show place" over on Curd Rd. I can imagine what the new Lebanon will look like, with the million dollar plans and all.

I'll vote for a property tax hike, but everybody knows the money won't go into the school system.