News from Wilson County....

Football Man

The way I understand it, the school budget was submitted & the commisioners, holding the pocketbook, will not fund the proposed budget. As of September 30th, ALL SPORTS WILL NO LONGER BE PLAYED IN ANY WILSON COUNTY SCHOOL. IT IS NOT AN OPTION FOR COACHES TO WORK FOR FREE. A special meeting has been called for Sept. 15th, which may change the above option.

TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

coaches would be allowed to coach for free but i imagine most if not all coaches would agree not to coach

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, interesting enough, there have been several teachers who have done reports regarding education in our area. Seems that Williamson and Rutherford counties put WAY more money into their education budgets than we do. If we put the same money in Wilson county in the education budget as they do in Rutherford or Williamson county it looks as if we would have about 12 million extra to spend.

Williamson Yes, Rutherford (sadly) NO: http://www.borowatch.com/ada_stats_06_07.html

55 WILLIAMSON COUNTY 26,134 196,120,557 $7,504

114 RUTHERFORD COUNTY 32,497 219,243,452 $6,747

123 WILSON COUNTY 13,265 86,259,506 $6,503

Last place?

131 WHITE COUNTY 3,818 24,064,816 $6,302

132 *HOLLOW ROCK-BR 690 4,337,643 $6,286

133 CHESTER COUNTY 2,493 15,182,607 $6,091

134 *GIBSON CO. SPEC. 2,777 16,898,463 $6,086

135 *MCKENZIE 1,340 7,983,217 $5,959

136 CARROLL COUNTY 4 3,214,144 NA

137 GIBSON COUNTY NA NA NA

Wilson County spends $200 a year more per student than White County.

They can probably afford to spend more than that 'on the kids': Scroll Down to Page 38 Where Wilson County ranks 15th in local Revenue (Williamson County is 5th and Rutherford is 7th) White County? 62nd....

One thing a lot of you are missing is that the property tax increase is needed just to keep the same level of funding as last year. This is not for extra money for the new school, teacher raises, new textbooks, etc. I know for a fact that the America Government books used at LHS right now still has Bill Clinton as president and 9/11 has not happened it. Another thing, there has to be better planning in the future. Wilson County is one the fastest growing counties in the state. We have averaged over 400 new students a year for the past seven years and the County Commission nor the BOE has done anything to compensate that. Also, if you explore the Wilson County BOE wesite, you will see the plans for a third large high school built between 109 and 70. They have called it North Central. This school is projected to go up after the new LHS is finished. Also, rememeber this folks, when the new LHS is built, it will include the county Vocational school. That's another 100 or so students from Watertown that takes those classes for career training. Also, the old LHS will be updated and turned into a middle school pulling from Southside Elem, Tuckers Crossroads, and Carroll Oakland. Wilson county has a whole lot of issues to deal with over the next five to ten years. If we as citizens and voters do not have the right people in office, we will be losing a lot more that just our sports programs.

The Tennessean is reporting that by a vote of 3-2...they will NOT CUT the athletic programs in Wilson County....Read more at the Tennessean website. Good news for all those involved.

To keep athletics they ended their ISS program. I guess now if you need to suspend a student he/she will just go home and play video games or hang out on the street corner. The real answer is to raise their property taxes a few pennies and fund education. In a county that is growing every year from folks who are moving in... one would think that a case could be made to fully fund education in Wilson County?

Good news for the athletes and coaches... one more year of football! Maybe next year the school board and county commission can resolve this sooner. Good luck to all the Wilson County Teams this week...

To keep athletics they ended their ISS program. I guess now if you need to suspend a student he/she will just go home and play video games or hang out on the street corner. The real answer is to raise their property taxes a few pennies and fund education. In a county that is growing every year from folks who are moving in... one would think that a case could be made to fully fund education in Wilson County?

Good news for the athletes and coaches... one more year of football! Maybe next year the school board and county commission can resolve this sooner. Good luck to all the Wilson County Teams this week...

ELA, just to play the devil's advocate to you for a minute, the reason so many people are moving to Wilson County is BECAUSE of the low taxes. It is a double edged sword.

Rememer ten-fifteen years ago when the giant building boom was hitting Cheatham County. It stopped when they put the new home building tax on the books. The same will happen to Wilson if they start raising them now. The county leaders (who are all big landowners) don't want the real estate boom to end just yet because they are all getting rich from it. I drive by two farms on the MJ end of Central Pike all the time that are for sale. Both are about 100 acres. Both are asking about 4 Million. $40,000 an acre? Do you REALLY think they want that to go away? And yes, I know who owns each one.

The property tax will get revisited, although I think the increase will be less than first requested. Where is all the sales tax revenue from Providence going? Let the commission answer that one before they ask for more. I say this having been a Wilson County educator and still being a resident. I have experienced the politics of Wilson County first hand. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

ELA, just to play the devil's advocate to you for a minute, the reason so many people are moving to Wilson County is BECAUSE of the low taxes. It is a double edged sword.

Remember ten-fifteen years ago when the giant building boom was hitting Cheatham County. It stopped when they put the new home building tax on the books. The same will happen to Wilson if they start raising them now. The county leaders (who are all big landowners) don't want the real estate boom to end just yet because they are all getting rich from it. I drive by two farms on the MJ end of Central Pike all the time that are for sale. Both are about 100 acres. Both are asking about 4 Million. $40,000 an acre? Do you REALLY think they want that to go away? And yes, I know who owns each one.

The property tax will get revisited, although I think the increase will be less than first requested. Where is all the sales tax revenue from Providence going? Let the commission answer that one before they ask for more. I say this having been a Wilson County educator and still being a resident. I have experienced the politics of Wilson County first hand. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I understand what you are saying but you have a county with many new families moving in and the current tax rate isn't keeping up with the needs of the education system to pay for the cost of new construction of schools and the hiring of new teachers and staff. If they had went forward with the silly notion of ending sports for a year there would be many families who could afford to move... taking their kids and taxes and going to other counties. Thankfully, cooler and wiser heads prevailed but I bet most folks living in the county feel like the needs of their families are taking a back seat to other political issues. The same thing is happening in other places and those counties are finding ways to fund education.

Look, everyone knows I am a Democrat and I will support education even if it means higher taxes for business and individuals. The reason we have a large and expanding middle class in America is because of PUBLIC EDUCATION and we must find ways to fund education in our state. Counties that are growing must increase revenue to meet the demands of a growing student body.

Now I have not read all of the comments because of time, but are they stopping coaches supplements only OR are they stopping sports all together. If its only the coaches pay, they probably don't make enough to matter. If the coaches really cared about the players, they would coach for free, just like the youth leagues do.

Just my opinionfrom Knoxville. I sure hope Knoxville doesn't go down this highway.

I am a high school fb coach and during the season I dont see my wy wife and kids after Thursday until Saturday night and if you think I would do that for free you are nuts.

Technically only ISS in elementary schools.