Dobyns Bennett @ Oak Ridge

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final DB-28 OR-13

First half was near perfect for DB but the second half was a circus of errors. But any kind of win over Oak Ridge is good. Sensabaugh ended up with 21 rushes for 257 yrds. I think the blocking broke down in the second half. Some very stupid penalties on the Indians in the second half. Maybe some guys should be running sprints next week.

Great game tonight by the tribe, sensabough had a very nice game back, blocking was great, and Crawford had a good night passing again. But GC has got this Phil Fulmer mentality, where he likes to just sit on a lead and its starting to worry me a little We could have really put a hurtin on the Wildcats tonight the score was actually way closer than it was, but for some reason GC likes to keep it close, start runnin FB dives and calling sweeps on 3rd and 15, i mean come on 21-0 in the 3rd quarter the game is NOT OVER, run the offense the way its suppose to be run and if we get up 28 or 35-0 then put ur 2nd string in to finish it, and did anyone else get the feeling the refs were tryin to keep it close too??? hardly any flags the first 3 quarters then 4th quarter DB couldnt gain 5 yrds without it called back for something, refs were horrible and lets hope we can stay at home through the playoffs because we do not wanna play in knox. with that kind of officiating. Anyways great game guys lets keep this momentum going, big conference game next wk against the Pats.

Great game tonight by the tribe, sensabough had a very nice game back, blocking was great, and Crawford had a good night passing again. But GC has got this Phil Fulmer mentality, where he likes to just sit on a lead and its starting to worry me a little We could have really put a hurtin on the Wildcats tonight the score was actually way closer than it was, but for some reason GC likes to keep it close, start runnin FB dives and calling sweeps on 3rd and 15, i mean come on 21-0 in the 3rd quarter the game is NOT OVER, run the offense the way its suppose to be run and if we get up 28 or 35-0 then put ur 2nd string in to finish it, and did anyone else get the feeling the refs were tryin to keep it close too??? hardly any flags the first 3 quarters then 4th quarter DB couldnt gain 5 yrds without it called back for something, refs were horrible and lets hope we can stay at home through the playoffs because we do not wanna play in knox. with that kind of officiating. Anyways great game guys lets keep this momentum going, big conference game next wk against the Pats.

I think our region has to travel in the third game of the playoffs this year..

We did have an out of bounds late hit. The big guy ran all the way accross the field and couldn't help it I guess.I didn't think there should have been another one on the QB however.

I'll take a win any day. We ran great tonight and passed great as well. If I was going to pick at anything on the offense,and that would be hard. I guess it would be that we maybe mix and match the passing and running game a little more, to keep Oak Ridge off balance .On defense,I thought if you take out a couple of plays,we had a very good night.Roll Tribe

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Anderson Co. has its own association of referees. Also, don't you get refs from other areas of the state for the playoffs? Isn't that why everyone's always hoping and praying they don't draw Hamilton Co.'s zebras?!

I didn't get to go to the game but did listen to Fred Walton on the radio. Fred is sometimes a little overly critical of the refs. but last night didn't do much complaining. So I don't think the ref's called a bad game against DB. Sounded like the Indians just lost focus in the second half. Clark going conservitive might of had something to do with that. Sometimes that will cause a team to lose timing and focus. Could it of been that Clark didn't want to show everything he had, knowing he would probably be facing Oak Ridge again in the playoffs? The Indians did make to many mistakes in that second half. I think three holding penalties, one of which brought back a 30+ yard run by Crawford that probably cost the Tribe a touchdown and two personal foul penalties, one of which led to a Oak Ridge touchdown. Thats a 14 point swing on two penalties. Not Good! I give DB a A+ for the first half and a D for the second half.

I thought Johnny Majors was calling the plays for Kingsport in the second half. Boy GC could have really put a Ron Wright east Tenn dog whooping on us if he had wanted to.

And as for the pizza I'm sure if he wanted it , it would have gladly been given free. Most coaches I know are too nervous before the game and just want to get the team home after the game.

Good first half by DB, not so bad 4th quarter by Oak Ridge, David Irby did a good job coming off the bench( I know he played DE all game) to fill in as QB. There I said something positive.

The officals are from the Oak Ridge area and usually do a very good job. I listened on the new 1 mile fm radio station (thank you David Clary) and it seemed for the most part a fair called game. It got messy in the 4th quarter but and even the announcers didn't agree with every call.

The officials for the DB/OR game were not from the Knoxville Association. In the playoffs, you could get officials from just about any association except the one that works your regular season games unless you are playing a team in the first two rounds that use the same officials as you do.

I will have to agree with Titansvols that the officials took over

the game in the 4th period.Did any other official besides the one in the white hat throw a flag? When Crawford ran one down to the goal there was a mystery hold,with no flag throw late in the 4th.Whow. I think someone was trying to keep it close.IMO.I agree that DB should have tacked on 2 more tds easily.Maybe GC doesn't want to run the score up.We had a chance at Bearden last week also to score more.Oh well a win is a win,especially over the OR Cats. Ole Dad the pizza at Big Ed's was great.It was too good to save any for anybody! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I thought Johnny Majors was calling the plays for Kingsport in the second half. Boy GC could have really put a Ron Wright east Tenn dog whooping on us if he had wanted to.

And as for the pizza I'm sure if he wanted it , it would have gladly been given free. Most coaches I know are too nervous before the game and just want to get the team home after the game.

Good first half by DB, not so bad 4th quarter by Oak Ridge, David Irby did a good job coming off the bench( I know he played DE all game) to fill in as QB. There I said something positive.

The officals are from the Oak Ridge area and usually do a very good job. I listened on the new 1 mile fm radio station (thank you David Clary) and it seemed for the most part a fair called game. It got messy in the 4th quarter but and even the announcers didn't agree with every call.

First half was near perfect for DB but the second half was a circus of errors. .... Some very stupid penalties on the Indians in the second half. Maybe some guys should be running sprints next week.

This could have/should have been much worse. .... I think most of the sloppiness after half-time was Clark calling off the dogs late in the 2nd quarter. Everyone on DB seemed to relax and we didn't take advantage of that until the 4th quarter. I would say if DB wants to make a run deep into the playoffs they need to bury a good opponent when they have the chance.

Clark going conservitive might of had something to do with that. {the poor showing in the 2nd half} Sometimes that will cause a team to lose timing and focus. Could it of been that Clark didn't want to show everything he had, knowing he would probably be facing Oak Ridge again in the playoffs? The Indians did make to many mistakes in that second half. I think three holding penalties, one of which brought back a 30+ yard run by Crawford that probably cost the Tribe a touchdown and two personal foul penalties, one of which led to a Oak Ridge touchdown. Thats a 14 point swing on two penalties. Not Good! I give DB a A+ for the first half and a D for the second half.

I think someone was trying to keep it close.IMO.I agree that DB should have tacked on 2 more tds easily. Maybe GC doesn't want to run the score up. We had a chance at Bearden last week also to score more. Oh well a win is a win,especially over the OR Cats.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate this DB team. They are a very good team. And this was a good win, but I don't think it was a great win. They could become an excellent team by the end of regular season but I see a situation that is summarized by comments above, by the radio announcers and my observations.

If it had been the OR team that was superior, they would not have put the brakes on in the 3rd quarter like DB did ... until it was time to play the 2nd and 3rd strings in the 4th quarter. GC does not have the moxie to play hard until it's time to back off when the game is truly over. The former Oak Ridge coach was a winner and was not afraid to do it. Other schools like Riverdale/Rankin have not been afraid to do it. You have to have that mentality to win State IMO. Until GC changes how he thinks in this regard, DB will not win State. I like GC. He is a very good man. I greatly appreciate what he has done for DB and the football program. TSSAA has set the rule - 35 points is the time to back off. I see no value in a 80-0 score over anybody so I do not advocate something like that. So I was not very happy with what happened in the 3rd. Frankly, maybe GC should run laps this week too.

Main thing is the question........did anyone get GC some PIZZA?

In listening to WGOC, I believe that their people saved a slice of pizza for GC to be given during the post game interview.

Im not so sure it was Clarks play calling that changed the game. Actually a lot of times when you go up by 21 points on a team your players will relax. I know the offensive line and receivers did a awsome job blocking in the first half, but didn't do a very good job in the second. Also the final score could of been 35-7 or even 42-7 if it hadn't been for mistakes by players on the field. If not for those mistakes we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Having said that I have never seen in my lifetime a Oak Ridge team that wasn't capable of beating anyone they come up against at any time. We should consider ourselves lucky that the score remained close. You don't want to throw rocks at a hornets nest. We will probably meet them again in the playoffs. If Clark did hold back it was probably a good move.