When does basketball practice start?

VolunteerGeneral

I thought students went to school for an education, not basketball practice. This might explain the ever declining grades of students. Now I know most teams have students that make excellent grades, but school is meant for the students to learn math, science, history, and other much needed skills. And don't forget reading.

On the subject of teams having in school practice, Sequatchie County High School had at least three athletes that were not eligible at division one schools because of in school practice. They were a credit short because they had taken an in school sport each year. Those students had to take a course over the summer to make up that credit. Some students were in danger of losing their scholarships. Now that's a shame!

I am all for high school sports. I spend two or three evenings a week watching high school sports. But what happened to extracurricular activities. These students need to learn as much in the actual classroom as they can. Basketball knowledge will get you to college but what about after college, or better yet after high school when you need a job and you can't pass the entrance exam to get that job.

A 26 one the ACT will get you into most any college you want with a full academic scholarship. The problem is there are no basketball questions on the ACT. Put these students back in the classroom where they are supposed to be so they can better themsleves for what awaits after high school.

not so on the 26

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone is directing this @ the wrong people. If y'all don't like this, make complaints to the TSSAA to change the rules. Right now it's allowed & some schools are doing it. By the way, my daughter's school doesn't do this, but then her school system doesn't do much at all.

I think everyone is directing this @ the wrong people. If y'all don't like this, make complaints to the TSSAA to change the rules. Right now it's allowed & some schools are doing it. By the way, my daughter's school doesn't do this, but then her school system doesn't do much at all.

The schools make the rules for the TSSAA. The schools do not want to be investigated and do not want the TSSAA to have investigators. In the past, if someone walked into a gym and there were basketballs out and it was off-season, there was an obvious violation. Now you just say it is open gym and everything is fine. Schools all over the state, but not all schools, are cheating and they know it and their admin knows it. How could they not? The first day of basketball does not even raise the adrenalin any more because it is just like yesterday, and the day before, etc.

None of what I am posting is aimed at Gibson County any more so than any other school in the state. I have never been in Gibson County.

Well I started this thread because I wanted to know when basketball practice started. I observed Gibson County girls scrimmaging in practice uniforms under the observation of their coach. It looked like a practice to me but it seemed way too early from my knowledge. I`ve learned that these are called "pick-up" games and are allowed by rules as long as the coach is just observing which in this case I can state that the few minutes I observed the coach was kicked back in the bleachers and not saying a word to his team. So by all accounts everything was perfectly legal at Gibson County.

However. that being said I can certainly see how easily it could be to break the rules if a coach decided to offer playing tips during these sessions and it would be very difficult for anyone to monitor especially if the "pick up" game was occurring during the first block of school.

I have no reason to contact the TSSAA because I saw no rule being broken, however, I certainly would have reported them if they were doing something wrong. And not because I have some vendetta against Gibson County, but because no one should be allowed to cheat. If this thread has done anything, it has shown that GC is abiding by the rules. Good news if you ask me.

Now with that, I`m gonna ask another question related to this subject. Basketball coaches can`t be coaching during this period, but it is my understanding that baseball coaches can instruct, pitchers and hitters during the off season. Can someone verify that? I find it ironic that the rules are very strict on some sports such as basketball and more lax with others such as baseball.

Hey VG, I was also told by someone that is close to our program that the girls basketball period is offered to all girls students in the school as is boys basketball is offered to all the boys in the school. I'll guarantee you there aren't many girls in our school that would want to play in scrimmages with our girls as they don't play too soft out there on the court as shown if you've ever seen us play. I figured I'd let you in on that small bit of info that I honestly wasn't even aware of.

Ha Ha Too funny!! Don't want an uninvited guest showing up at your door do you? Most good programs "cheat." They can't stand not practicing. Tips can come in all forms--text messages, emails, snippets in the hall, study hall, etc. In my opinion, if you're playing, you're cheating.

Open gym allows play. I suggest many of you should read the handbook for the TSSAA. You can download it. It is extremely boring and many times vague on purpose. The TSSAA purpose is to simply to allow schools to play on a somewhat equal playing field. It is not in the investigation business. It asks schools if they violate the rules established by the Legislative Board. This is a group of people voted on by the member schools. The schools then vote to adopt the changes. It expects the Administration and Coaching staffs to act as responsible adults and supply truthful information. If the class at GC is open to all students and there are no prerequisites for the class that all members of the student body has a chance to qualify for then they can play every day in there and it is ok. They could do history of basketball in a classroom. They could talk about theory of basketball in a classroom setting.

I wish Shelby County Schools would adopt a block schedule so our students could gain up to 8 credits a year.

Average freshman at UT has a 27. There must not be many students from Memphis City schools going there this year.

I don't want there to be a misunderstanding. I was saying if you don't like the rule that allows it during school time then go to the TSSAA. I was not implying that anyone was cheating. My daughter & some of her team play pickup games after conditioning. The coach has already left by the time they start.

Open gym allows play. I suggest many of you should read the handbook for the TSSAA. You can download it. It is extremely boring and many times vague on purpose. The TSSAA purpose is to simply to allow schools to play on a somewhat equal playing field. It is not in the investigation business. It asks schools if they violate the rules established by the Legislative Board. This is a group of people voted on by the member schools. The schools then vote to adopt the changes. It expects the Administration and Coaching staffs to act as responsible adults and supply truthful information. If the class at GC is open to all students and there are no prerequisites for the class that all members of the student body has a chance to qualify for then they can play every day in there and it is ok. They could do history of basketball in a classroom. They could talk about theory of basketball in a classroom setting.

I wish Shelby County Schools would adopt a block schedule so our students could gain up to 8 credits a year.

Average freshman at UT has a 27. There must not be many students from Memphis City schools going there this year.

har har, Dragonmaster. There you go hatin' on Memphis City schools again. The top 7 academic high schools in Tennessee as rated by Newsweek were all from the Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin area. At 8th place is White Station High (and we can't even get air conditioning in our basketball facilities) of the Memphis City Schools. Then comes Oak Ridge. And rounding out the top 10 is... drum roll, please... Collierville. Go West TN!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We can play ball AND bring home the grades. Watch out for WSHS!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I don't want there to be a misunderstanding. I was saying if you don't like the rule that allows it during school time then go to the TSSAA. I was not implying that anyone was cheating. My daughter & some of her team play pickup games after conditioning. The coach has already left by the time they start.

and even then having the coach in the building isn't a violation.