When does basketball practice start?

VolunteerGeneral

har har, Dragonmaster. There you go hatin' on Memphis City schools again. The top 7 academic high schools in Tennessee as rated by Newsweek were all from the Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin area. At 8th place is White Station High (and we can't even get air conditioning in our basketball facilities) of the Memphis City Schools. Then comes Oak Ridge. And rounding out the top 10 is... drum roll, please... Collierville. Go West TN!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We can play ball AND bring home the grades. Watch out for WSHS!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Phil,

White Station is a great academic institution. You know I feel that way.

ALL I CAN SAY AT THIS POINT IS: " BLOW THE WHISTLE AND THROW UP THE BALL!"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil,

White Station is a great academic institution. You know I feel that way.

ALL I CAN SAY AT THIS POINT IS: " BLOW THE WHISTLE AND THROW UP THE BALL!"

Just messing with you a little and making sure that everybody knows that not all Memphis City schools are alike. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Man, and I didn't even get you anything................ /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

We're cool. What school do you follow, Bri ?

Directly I follow McGavock, but my daughter has friends all over that she has played with. So indirectly, Smyrna, Riverdale, Blackman, LaVergne, Clarkrange, Wilson Central, CPA, MTCS, Father Ryan, Ensworth, Forrest. Whew! I'm sure there's more but I havent slept since Sunday afternoon so my brain's dead. Needless to say during the season I'm looking @ alot of box scores & catching as many different games as I can.

A couple of key Component that has been left out on a block classes for basketball.

1) they must be open to all students with the same opportunities.

2) you better have a nice name for the phys ed class so that it can meet state requirements for a credit.

can't be BB class even if the kids refer to it as that.

Question...would it be within rules if the class was made up of just basketball players or could that just be coincidence?

If there were more than just basketball players in the class, but say on Tuesdays and Thursdays there were girls in the class who used those days for conditioning by running outside and all those girls happened to be basketball players would it be a violation?

Directly I follow McGavock, but my daughter has friends all over that she has played with. So indirectly, Smyrna, Riverdale, Blackman, LaVergne, Clarkrange, Wilson Central, CPA, MTCS, Father Ryan, Ensworth, Forrest. Whew! I'm sure there's more but I havent slept since Sunday afternoon so my brain's dead. Needless to say during the season I'm looking @ alot of box scores & catching as many different games as I can.

I hear ya there. Normally, I follow Bartlett and the rest of 14-AAA closely and then the Memphis area as a whole. Although, I'm going to be a lot busier this season and I may not get to watch as many Lady Panther games as I'd like. Still, I can't wait for the season to roll around.

Question...would it be within rules if the class was made up of just basketball players or could that just be coincidence?

If there were more than just basketball players in the class, but say on Tuesdays and Thursdays there were girls in the class who used those days for conditioning by running outside and all those girls happened to be basketball players would it be a violation?

Could be coincidence /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> or you have a cut off of 20 and the first 20 enrolled were BB players. easy to do on computers, just flag the BB players and computer magic takes over. VG, I feel like I'm at work again and I just retired.

To be honest, even when classes are open, non athletes often feel uncomfortable to be in classes like that, same for football. Plus kids aren't stupid, they know the true purpose of these classes.

According to TSSAA, basketball teams, by rule, can be having weight training/conditioning and open facilities during this time...until Oct. 27

For those of you who don't know what those are....here are the definitions directly from TSSAA.

Weight Training / Conditioning ??“ Must be a generic type program that would be beneficial to all students and not sport specific. Exception: In baseball and girls softball, players may throw to condition arms.

Open Facilities ??“ Schools may use their facilities for students in their building prior to or at the conclusion of the school day. Coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only. There is no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. Coaches may not participate or play in any manner. It is a free play type atmosphere.

Therefore, if a school is having "pick up games" during a school period or block..they are in violation. Why are they in violation? Because they are having OPEN FACILITIES during the school day, which is not "prior to or at the conclusion of the school day"

There are many schools in this state that have a period of the day for basketball and football, and some...all sports. If this was legal, and done in every school, I would be fine with it. But as we all know, it is not, and the school who are doing this are benefiting from it.

Below is the link to the 2008-09 handbook. Go to pg.21 for the definitions and pg.25 for basketball calender.

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf