Maryville complacent?

STARSNBARS

He's right Oak Ridge had at least two boys that struck fear into the heart of our senior classes freshman team. The two are now at other schools, but one was 6'3 or so with a 7 foot wingspan and near impossible to stop, the other was short, but fast and would be gone before you blinked twice. Both had academic or behavioral problem and couldn't stay at the school. I have watched Maryville practice, fron inside the gym where I practice basketball and they look very intense. At the end they are running as hard as they are in the beginning. They know there is a lot of weight and expectation on them so they are trying to be the best they can!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thetruth11

I think that the only one who thinks fbwiz is a wiz is fbwiz. Quarles will not let the Rebs get even a little bit complacent. They will be much better this year with all the Sr that are back. New QB (Rouse) has everything to prove and with TJ gone the backfield will also have something to prove. I don't think Mville was complacent when they got beat by M-West last year, West was just the better team that night. The real question is will any one and I repeat any one be able to hang with the Rebs this year?

Posted by MaryvilleRebels:

I don't really think the seniors care about TJ, sure everyone loved TJ, but they are focusing on the task at hand, they have moved on. Not only did they lose TJ they also lost a pretty darn good punter, in an even worse fashion. The punter, now at Farragut, was cheap and dirty enough to cheer against his own school and insult one of his good friends, Lee Humphrey at a basketball game. He led the Farragut cheering section in a chorus of "over rated." The kicker was supposedly absolutely awesome in practice, but his nerves got the best of him in games and was only decent.

:( You may not think that the seniors care about T.J., but I promise you that his real close senior friends care and feel the loss. It is sad that you would dismiss T.J. so easily after the way he gave his all the last two seasons. Even thought you did not ask T.J. is doing great at Sweetwater and has been welcomed by a great Coaching staff and players.

Guest trojanball4
Posted by thetruth11:

I think that the only one who thinks fbwiz is a wiz is fbwiz. Quarles will not let the Rebs get even a little bit complacent. They will be much better this year with all the Sr that are back. New QB (Rouse) has everything to prove and with TJ gone the backfield will also have something to prove. I don't think Mville was complacent when they got beat by M-West last year, West was just the better team that night. The real question is will any one and I repeat any one be able to hang with the Rebs this year?

i agree with you that the only one who thinks that fbwiz is a wiz is fbwiz. and i appreciate the comment that you thought morristown west was the better team the night they beat maryville. they were a better team the night they beat west. i dont see where fbwiz gets that west beating maryville was a fluke. do maryville fans think it was?

Guest caligula

Did you or anyone see my post, I said being complacent gets you beat at home by West. Letting your gaurd down against teams that as good as M'West, Central, Halls, will get you beat. It was no fluke so lets put that to rest once and for all. I was there on the front row and Maryville lost because west was the better team! But anyway my friends, I don't think the team is complacent and I think that they have a good shot at 15 wins.

Hey buddy, don't ever think that I would dismiss TJ. I have been friends with TJ since I was 11 years old and I moved to this town. Sure we all miss him, but thats life. I believe that they have put it behind them and they are focusing on the future and not worrying about the past. He made a mistake and they realize that, there is nothing they or anyone else can do about it!

maryville complacent? nah. i like what trojanball4 and the truth said, west was the better team the 1st time but maryville was better the 2nd time. i still don't know if people are giving morristown west the credit they deserve not only for beating maryville(and not using the words "wake up call") but becoming one of the top teams in the state consecutivly each year. i can't wait until these two teams meet again should be the game of the week for sure.

Posted by jiveturkey:

maryville complacent? nah. i like what trojanball4 and the truth said, west was the better team the 1st time but maryville was better the 2nd time. i still don't know if people are giving morristown west the credit they deserve not only for beating maryville(and not using the words "wake up call") but becoming one of the top teams in the state consecutivly each year. i can't wait until these two teams meet again should be the game of the week for sure.

I do not understand all the talk Morristown West beat Maryville straight-up. What is there to talk about? :confused:

Posted by MaryvilleRebels:

Hey buddy, don't ever think that I would dismiss TJ. I have been friends with TJ since I was 11 years old and I moved to this town. Sure we all miss him, but thats life. I believe that they have put it behind them and they are focusing on the future and not worrying about the past. He made a mistake and they realize that, there is nothing they or anyone else can do about it!

Since we are Buddies now I quess you are speaking for Lucas Tipton, Brad Merritt, Brandon Waters and Carl Stewart. :x

Guest bandit16

You're right. These guys are still TJs' best friends. They are playing with their same intensity not only to win a 3-peat, but also to not let TJ down since he helped the team get this far. I would love to go to Murfreesboro on Friday night to watch TJ play with Sweetwater for the state championship & Saturday to watch the Rebels play for the 3-peat! :D

Since Earl Nall is updating the playoff history link, I was wondering if any Rebel fan could tell me if Maryville won the state title in 1977 when they started off the first round by thrashing Tazewell (now Claiborne County soon to be just Claiborne) 44-0 or 48-0? Or was it even during the 77 season? Was it 78? I really don't know because Claiborne County has not returned a survey to Murphy Fair for years.

And while we're on that subject...why, coaches, do you not turn the survey in? Are you embarassed? It's only a game...some people take it more serious than others, but in the long run it's the players that suffer because no one has ever heard of them. So what if your coaching record is 15-70? Send the survey back.

I don't know Murphy personally, but I'd bet he's like most every other sports writer in the state...he's with you when you're winning AND when you're losing.

Any help on the first question will be greatly appreciated. I might even give a special mention when my preview comes out in the Tribune. :D

[Edited by KevB1990 on 8-9-02 7:25P]

maryville lost to milan i think the score was 28-6 in 1977. it was a double header championship game played at alcoa and alcoa won the singleA championship in the first game. maryville won the state in 1978 beating brentwood academy in the championship game in nashville. i was able to attend both of those games. that 78 team went undefeated.