What would you do if you were the coach?

Pantherman85

Our school, Lenoir City, had 3 players that told the team and coach they quit because other team members were not serious about playing football. The coach told them he does not like quitters and to clean out their lockers and leave and that they would not be allowed back. (BTW,2 of players are team Captains) . A day later, the coach tells the team that he may be letting the players come back on the team. Personally, I have always been taught, "Winners never quit, Quitters never win". If I was the coach and this happened I do not think I would allow them back on the team after they basically quit on their teammates. I don't think that sets a good example for other players on the team. Just curious what everyone else thinks about this????

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our school, Lenoir City, had 3 players that told the team and coach they quit because other team members were not serious about playing football. The coach told them he does not like quitters and to clean out their lockers and leave and that they would not be allowed back. (BTW,2 of players are team Captains) . A day later, the coach tells the team that he may be letting the players come back on the team. Personally, I have always been taught, "Winners never quit, Quitters never win". If I was the coach and this happened I do not think I would allow them back on the team after they basically quit on their teammates. I don't think that sets a good example for other players on the team. Just curious what everyone else thinks about this????

Simple... Let the members they let down make the call. Then, if they are voted back on, they take their place on second team. Everyone can make a mistake, but you should have to pay your dues.

Everybody makes mistakes, especially high school boys so they would get the opportunity at least. But....

I would let the players on the team vote on it. And if they were approved, the 3 that quit would be staying after practice every day to do extra work and would also be solely responsible that the locker room was clean daily before they left.

If nothing else it would teach them that decisions have consequences for further down the road.

if they have never done anything wrong before and since they were captains my guess is they havent...then i would make them run a lot for 2 reasons punishment and to show thjey want back on the team..if they had been in trouble and a distraction before then they are gone...they are kids and deserve a second chance

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well as far as letting their team down goes...it seems as if they though their teammates were letting them down first by their actions and attitudes on playing the game, but that is NO excuse. This could have been handled a different way. Some people always decide they need to make a dramatic scene for some reason...probably too many movies. Discussion could have settled that, and if not, they could just play for themselves and have fun like they should be having anyway. It was immature, BUT people do make mistakes and I believe they should be let back on the team, but not without punishment. I would remove them of their captain status, and they would be doing some extra work everyday after practice. It would've been a much better situation if they had discussed the situation with the coach, and NOT used the word "quit". All would have been avoided. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Life imitates art. A similar situation occurred in the movie "Coach Carter" which is based on a true story. He assigned over 1,000 sprints and the young offender won back his teammates to the point that they helped him by completing some of his running. It turned a negative situation into a positive and taught everyone about team building and commitment.