Clinton vs Halls

coonhunter293

This famous "LDLDL" that you talk about... wasn't this installed last year by coach ward? I was at the central, west, and maryville games last year and Halls ran wing-t type plays from the shotgun. Which seems to be exactly what they did at the bearden game. I don't remember anyone complaining when wesley kitts was doing it. If that's not what you're talking about then, I've personally talked to three of the Halls RB's about the new running backs coach and they told me that he has a drill where they are taught to make square precise cuts on a brick wall (so they can't cheat) at least once a week. If this is true, then again it goes back to execution. So, I hope zcar (or whoever said it) is right. I too hope we can simplify things and get the job done!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach J's record stands at 22-17 after 3 1/2 seasons, IN THE TOUGHEST REGION IN THE STATE. He has suffered thorough the toughest injury bug and illness situation in recent memory. Now somebody can look this up, but how does this stack up with Sheppard, Kurr, and the other former head coaches at Halls. I would bet it is right in line with all of them maybe even a bit better!

My only thought would be for Coach J to call the offense. If I'm a head coach, I want to be in charge of the offense and the defense. Now someone else may signal the call in but I'm calling the shots. That is prolly why I work in the business world and not in coaching.

I have not seen any practices but I do know this. If we don't beat Clinton, we will not go to the playoffs.

New to the post here so bare with me. We all have our right to our opinion and by going on here we are opening that door to get comment. So sit back and read for a while cause this one is gonna be a long one.

Now, I have read some pretty good ones and some that are pretty much a joke. Bugman...Yours has to be the biggest joke of all. Not trying to bash a kid at all, but you may want to revisit the whole Zach Batts being the best there is...just not feelin ya on that one buddy. Gibbs may have been the better choice afterall in that regard. On the other hand Bugman, playing some different players was right on key. I have heard the words that this is a senior leadership team and I get that...to a point. Halls needs more rotation. Don't leave those boys on the field longer than they are capable of playing a good game. They are not conditioned enough not to get tired and last for four quarters. If you look at it, Halls come out strong the first half most of the time, and then need a nap the second half. The seniors are doing a good job as long as they dont get wore down.BUT...there have been some outstanding plays made by the boys that are coming in second string or coming in for relief. These boys need more rotation. Fresh minds and legs make a difference.

The boys production starts with the coaches. I think there are some underlying issues with the coaching staff. You can hear it in the stands from observance and you can see it in the boys faces. I think OC was a poor choice. Not asking for the job, but still think it was a poor choice. There is no mutual respect between Williams and the players... you gotta have respect! With Ward, that was a given. He gave respect and therefore earned respect. The coaches need to start taking some responsibility on the losses and not putting it all on the boys. Maybe part of it could be how the routes are being taught by the coaches that makes it look like the boys are not making their play. Some of the formation being taught on the practice field is a having to be untaught at college football camps. May need to readjust on a few things. Guess that is why I'm on the outside of the fence and not on the inside of the fence.

In reference to the players, why don't we touch on a few without bashing. The senior boys are really good kids and nobody can take that away from them. Waggoner, good kid, makes good plays, pushes for yardage and good all around. McGill, good kid but could be rotated out more and get the plays a little more downpat. Hodge, great kid, good strong play maker, quick on his feet, great all around kid, good head on his shoulders. Leonard, good kid, gentle giant, just not as aggressive as he could be with his size. Dorian, good kid, good size, quick on his feet, makes some really good plays. Raby, good kid, could use some aggressiveness. Turner, would probably be a better fit at defense. Hill, great kid, could be more aggressive, missing some plays. The senior list could go on. Lets hit on a few Juniors...Burton, good kid, good size, could be used a bit more on defense. McFalls, good kid, good size, makes some really good plays and plays a lot now as it is, he's aggressive, would like to see more on defense as well. Long, good kid, aggressive, lost some size this year but picked up speed, makes some head rolling plays when given the opportunity and again could be used more on defense, good at reading plays, better athlete than given credit for, a silent beast, needs more chance to shine. Fitzpatrick, good kid, aggressive, plays hard, good athlete, need to see him on the field more. Dowdy, good kid, should be given a more opportunity to show his abilities, has pulled Halls out of some spots in the past (QB is a hard spot because everyones watching). Alley, good kid, quick on his feet, hope to see him more as a senior as he could produce more than expected. Sophomores...Batts, needs guidance and training, not ready for big boy football. Coffman, good kid, has good arm, great potential will see more of him to come. O'Laughlin, give him a hole and he can't be stopped, seems to get a little timid after a few hits, good on defense as well. Stansberry, great kid, good athlete, not afraid to hit, more to come with this guy, good all around. Not too many other players that stand out in this group. This group needs to replace "I" with "team". Freshman...some to watch out for! Brady Brown, QB, good kid, not intimidated, not afraid to throw the ball. Makes plays both as QB and on defense. His quietness shouldn't be mistaken. Jared Long, good kid, boy has some wheels, great RB and on defense, like his brother, will take your head off (brother mentioned above is junior - this may be a brother combination next year like no other)will definitely be seeing and hearing about this kid. Austin Smith, back from injury, good size, making plays, as long as he stays healthy, throw him a pass and watch his arms unroll. Bryant (Rico) he makes some really good plays when his head is in the game. Tatum, great size, good speed for such a big guy, good playmaker. Freshman line needs some work.

The opportunity is there for winning games, just have to find the right combination. Momentum is key. Halls definitley needs to make some changes and start winning some games. We have the players out there that can get the job done, we just need the right combination all the way around.

Enough for now.

I like what I see from a lot of concerned first time posters. Some really good posts on this thread this week.

I'll go one further and say I'm not happy about the record we have so far. But I'm not going to bash the coaches and or the kids for their performance and hard work. I don't think this season is written off just yet. I still like our chances with the rest of the schedule. So I'm still in the camp we are a work in progress and good things happen to programs that work hard and keep a good attitude. I still believe you have to position your best athletes to do the job if not it's like the talents parable in the Bible if you don't use it you lose it.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed for the future.

I like what I see from a lot of concerned first time posters. Some really good posts on this thread this week.

I'll go one further and say I'm not happy about the record we have so far. But I'm not going to bash the coaches and or the kids for their performance and hard work. I don't think this season is written off just yet. I still like our chances with the rest of the schedule. So I'm still in the camp we are a work in progress and good things happen to programs that work hard and keep a good attitude. I still believe you have to position your best athletes to do the job if not it's like the talents parable in the Bible if you don't use it you lose it.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed for the future.

I agree with you totally ZCAR! That is a really good bunch of players and they, along with the coaches, just need to find the nitch that works.

- Still waiting on someone to comment on why O'laughlin #6 struggles in the 4th quarter (8 yards rushing total after 6 games). It's obvious to me which posters have underclassman, because they all point to something else.

- This team has been built around #6 - passes are drawn up to get hm the ball, punt returns, kick returns, and when healthy 80% of the run plays. Everyone talks about 4th quarter collapses, but that only applies when #6 is in. What about S. County?? Same "tired" players made a heck of a rally when #6 was out. Funny that after a timeout, the big play we came out with was a deep pass to #6 at Bearden. Is he the only one the coaches feel can make a play?? I.e. = 4 losses.

- This looks like I'm out against #6, but I'm not. I just think to much has been placed on him. Talk about leadership, when everything is built around a SOPH , he has to be the leader. Could it be as simple as getting fresh legs in at RB, throughout the game, so he is not beat up and scared to death by the 4th quarter (again, I've been saying this for a long time). We seem to try everything else.

- Untammed - funny how these same seniors all played the same spots last year (both ways) and we were known as a second half team. Now it's their fault we struugle in the 4th. Not a rocket scientist, but wouldn't you check out the new guys before blaming the old ones?

ironman80too -

- The famous LDLDL has nothing to do with te shotgun. Has to do with getting thru the hole quickly. Watch the games and films. RB's are taught to "loop" back this year. New to this year. One practice drill does not reflect the actual ballgame. #23 does not loop back as much, but that is because he played last year. New backs are getting way back.

- Question - when was the last time you had trouble finding out who had the ball. Then think back to last year. The "loop" was created this year, and like yourselve I have spoken to several people in the know. Backs ARE told to loop back, and timing/quickness of offense HAS been changed from day one.

Not execution, instruction.

- Note - blocking schemes have not changed. Lineman should be taught to stay with blocks longer and the LDLDL might have a chance. As it is they are taught to "flip" and go on. Also, chop or cut, which when you watch the film many defensive palyers get up from and make tackles before the ball gets back to the line of scrimmage.

ironman80too -

- The famous LDLDL has nothing to do with te shotgun. Has to do with getting thru the hole quickly. Watch the games and films. RB's are taught to "loop" back this year. New to this year. One practice drill does not reflect the actual ballgame. #23 does not loop back as much, but that is because he played last year. New backs are getting way back.

- Question - when was the last time you had trouble finding out who had the ball. Then think back to last year. The "loop" was created this year, and like yourselve I have spoken to several people in the know. Backs ARE told to loop back, and timing/quickness of offense HAS been changed from day one.

Not execution, instruction.

- Note - blocking schemes have not changed. Lineman should be taught to stay with blocks longer and the LDLDL might have a chance. As it is they are taught to "flip" and go on. Also, chop or cut, which when you watch the film many defensive palyers get up from and make tackles before the ball gets back to the line of scrimmage.

I have felt this pain... I don't see Williams changing this any time soon, since this is what he was coaching Clinton's backs to do back when he was there.....

On a different note, what does the overall attitude of the halls team seem like right now? Is there a sense that this season can really be turned around, or is the frustration to the point where it's making matters worse? From the outside, halls is always a scary team with a lot of heart. I feel like if halls' minds are right, clinton will have to play their absolute best game to have a chance. However, if halls gets discouraged, clinton can win by a couple of scores.

- Still waiting on someone to comment on why O'laughlin #6 struggles in the 4th quarter (8 yards rushing total after 6 games). It's obvious to me which posters have underclassman, because they all point to something else.

- This team has been built around #6 - passes are drawn up to get hm the ball, punt returns, kick returns, and when healthy 80% of the run plays. Everyone talks about 4th quarter collapses, but that only applies when #6 is in. What about S. County?? Same "tired" players made a heck of a rally when #6 was out. Funny that after a timeout, the big play we came out with was a deep pass to #6 at Bearden. Is he the only one the coaches feel can make a play?? I.e. = 4 losses.

- This looks like I'm out against #6, but I'm not. I just think to much has been placed on him. Talk about leadership, when everything is built around a SOPH , he has to be the leader. Could it be as simple as getting fresh legs in at RB, throughout the game, so he is not beat up and scared to death by the 4th quarter (again, I've been saying this for a long time). We seem to try everything else.

- Untammed - funny how these same seniors all played the same spots last year (both ways) and we were known as a second half team. Now it's their fault we struugle in the 4th. Not a rocket scientist, but wouldn't you check out the new guys before blaming the old ones?

I will respond and i have no dog in the fight. Most dont know it but #6 has had 2 concussions already this year. He played in both games even after he was knocked out! THAT IS ANOTHER TOPIC ABOUT THE TRAINER! As far as the kick and punt returning-he is the best they have. Pass plays to #6- thats a joke. They either throw the fade to the receiver or a screen. They threw 2 against bearden to 6 but hasnt been thrown many passes. Let me tell everyone 2 things i know. 1) The football team DOES NOT watch game film from the previous game!!!!!!! They do not go back and grade or show the players what they are doing wrong or right. What better way to coach and learn than by seeing it on film. I have never played for or heard of a team that doesnt watch the film. 2) I knew there might be a problem this year when the coach let any players that sold 30 coupon books out of running at the end of practice. What a joke. You open up with a team that has won 60 in a row and he is letting kids out of conditioning.

I will respond and i have no dog in the fight. Most dont know it but #6 has had 2 concussions already this year. He played in both games even after he was knocked out! THAT IS ANOTHER TOPIC ABOUT THE TRAINER! As far as the kick and punt returning-he is the best they have. Pass plays to #6- thats a joke. They either throw the fade to the receiver or a screen. They threw 2 against bearden to 6 but hasnt been thrown many passes. Let me tell everyone 2 things i know. 1) The football team DOES NOT watch game film from the previous game!!!!!!! They do not go back and grade or show the players what they are doing wrong or right. What better way to coach and learn than by seeing it on film. I have never played for or heard of a team that doesnt watch the film. 2) I knew there might be a problem this year when the coach let any players that sold 30 coupon books out of running at the end of practice. What a joke. You open up with a team that has won 60 in a row and he is letting kids out of conditioning.

sunday afternoon, players come in and watch the tape of their last game, and they watch the tape of the upcoming team. i also believe coach kirby breaks down the film with all the guys that actually play or could play on monday morning.

its not coupon books, they are called gold cards and he has done this every year since he has been here and it has never been a problem.