WHY THE HATE?

AttenCHUN

Is it the schools/teachers or the parents/students? I saw an article about a month ago in the Chattanooga paper about a Howard graduate starting a career as a pharmacist, it was a regular feature about local job promotions, business news, etc. Howard has been among the lowest-performing high schools in the state but it didn't hold him back.

Now imagine that Howard was a well performing school that pushed all kids to excel. They might be running a story saying that class had 20 pharmacists now. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Why are we happy to say "look, they have one kid who was strong enough to forge ahead in a bad situation - so it can't be that bad" ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hampton has been to the 4th round 3 years straight, never ran the score up 1 single time in the process. tHE REAL REASON PEOPLE DON'T LIKE YOU IS BECAUSE YOU ARE GATHERING UP TRANSFERS LIKE FLIES. Where were all these current players when they were freshmen.

Hampton actually was in the 4th round (semi-finals) 4 years in a row.

If significant numbers of parents aren't involved in the public schools as a community endeavor, the schools will suffer. The trend for several decades has been for a significant number of parents to not want the schools to maintain a learning environment and as a result, Billy and Susie have been allowed to disrupt classes across the board. This in turn creates an environment counter conducive to learning for other students.

Like I've said before I know you DONT recruit , you DRAW players to your school with advertisements on fancy web pages , scorin 80 on bad teams , buildin nice fascilities , puttin emphasis on winning , hiring kids parents as coaches , and finally portraying the whole we will make your kids better Students, Athletes and people than a public school can.

WOW - this is the definition of bitterness. You definitely have a chip on your shoulder. I have been reading these posts with interest, beacuse it is an ongoing national debate. However, I felt the need to put some perspective on this debate. In my experience, those parents I have known that have chosen a private school education for their children, have done so first and foremost to give their kids a superior education and prepare them for college and careers. Athletic playing time would be VERY low on the list of deciding factors - say behind curriculum, class size, college guidance, AP class offerings, oh - and willingness to give up a lot of luxuries to afford the tuition.

As for "recruiting,"I am not sure about everywhere, but in my home town, private schools are not allowed to give athletic scholarships. Parents of athletes either pony up the big $$$ or apply for need-based financial aide distributed through a national clearing house. In addition, the children must meet the stringent academic testing requirements for admission.

I recently attended a senior night celebration for a good friend's child. All five seniors at this prestigious private school have numerous college athletics scholarship opportunities, several in more than one sport. However, I had to learn this from my friend. Why? , The proud coach presenting them was too busy listing their academic and extra-curricular honors and the fact that each had a GPA over 3.6!

WOW - this is the definition of bitterness. You definitely have a chip on your shoulder. I have been reading these posts with interest, beacuse it is an ongoing national debate. However, I felt the need to put some perspective on this debate. In my experience, those parents I have known that have chosen a private school education for their children, have done so first and foremost to give their kids a superior education and prepare them for college and careers. Athletic playing time would be VERY low on the list of deciding factors - say behind curriculum, class size, college guidance, AP class offerings, oh - and willingness to give up a lot of luxuries to afford the tuition.

As for "recruiting,"I am not sure about everywhere, but in my home town, private schools are not allowed to give athletic scholarships. Parents of athletes either pony up the big $$$ or apply for need-based financial aide distributed through a national clearing house. In addition, the children must meet the stringent academic testing requirements for admission.

I recently attended a senior night celebration for a good friend's child. All five seniors at this prestigious private school have numerous college athletics scholarship opportunities, several in more than one sport. However, I had to learn this from my friend. Why? , The proud coach presenting them was too busy listing their academic and extra-curricular honors and the fact that each had a GPA over 3.6!

Good and correct post. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 4 weeks later...

Reaction .I just tell it like I see it, Grace has I think 49 kids on their roster.They are going out of their way to get transfers,doing a pretty good job of it. Its not like they are a great team yet, but they have the fullest intentions of getting that way. They are even hiring people to get the kids. Taking alot of shortcuts. As far as the kids at Grace, I'm sure they are fine kids. Idon't even have a problem with people putting their kids in private schools. I'm sure its for the best in alot of cases.Their is a difference in just taking the kids who walk threw the doors and going out and hunting them down. Its pretty obvious that the administration at Grace is working hard to build up their atheletic programs. Its a big drawing cark. Knoxville is a great place to build success. It don't exactly look like Jellico.

Who has Grace hired to recruit players? I don't go there but I'm curious if you have facts why don't you report them? You can't recruit in D1. I'm sure Alcoa and Maryville don't recruit either /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />. You guys have it the toughest since you are pulling from a lower population center. It would be nice to have a relatively fair playing field for all kids(since the sport is supposed to be about them) but as long as kids from Karns can pay $100, provide their own transportation and go to Alcoa--as long as there are privates that give scholarships----as long as there are privates that don't(and follow the D1 rules--some do, believe me)----we will have these inequalities. Perhaps we should just do it on winning championships--you win two state championships in a row you have to move up a classification for four years.