Bledsoe County Football

SPLITBACK

i here you.....you just have to live here to understand......they want you to win first.....then they want to jump on the BAND wagon " don't know where that came from "...........thats Bledsoe Co. for you.....

They must be Alabama fans! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> You can still smell the moth balls on all these bama tee shirts and hats that are walking around now..... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I don't have the answers for BCHS.... but I do know this.... What these Hubert Haters are doing is not the answer at all.... if the program is down, you have to do things to lift it back up and that means jumping in with both feet and helping to turn it around.... Getting on here bashing coaches and administrators causes more harm than good and those who do it simply do not care about BCHS.... regardless of what they may say....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They must be Alabama fans! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> You can still smell the moth balls on all these bama tee shirts and hats that are walking around now..... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

truth...truth /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> next thing you know bledsoeb will be dusting one off to wear......

i think hubert is doing the best HE can do.....as for what i would do......i'm like you.....don't know if there is enough money left in pikeville to dive in this bee's nest right now...

I think hubert is doing his best and he has some good help around him,but as you should know that dont always cut up here. The money to help support that would have to fall out of the sky......... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

To many people are having to travel out of the county to make a living and lets face it they dont go to pikeville for the fine dining or anything else for that matter. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Dont know how to fix it but I do know setting here at home and complaining about it is not helping at all.

When Dickie Brown was our coach he didn't want volunteers, he was not a people person at all, if someone would have volunteered to mow or stripe the field he would have told them NO! your not touching the field. after 10 years or so of Coach Brown we get the Great Johnny Boynton. Coach Boynton gets 2 University of Tennessee Players ( Kelly & Thomas) to help and basically turns the cold shoulder to them. & after 7 strait loosing seasons the county is fed up with the current administration. I guarentee you if Bledsoe went out & hired a good young coach, and he held a meeting with the parents, the middle school parents he could get all kinds of support from this community. Unfortunatly with Hubert & Johnny Boynton running things no one is going to help, it's like this everywhere, Last Year Marion was down and what happened ya'll bickered and got a new coach, now all is well in South Pittsburg North. I think our whole entire athletic program needs a going over, coaches with 5 or 6 strait loosing seasons need to go, there assistants are not the answer to replace them, ( look at Hubert for that answer) The parents want to win in this county & if we are given a adminstration & coaches that give hope of winning this whole county will be behind them & mabey we can stop the pipeline of players to Rhea county that accually live in Bledsoe or at least went through Middle School here. Why would a parent that had a 8th grade kid with alot of talent want him to play for us now??? Hubert had 2 or 3 kids that could have played Div II college ball & what did he do to help them??? Ans- NOTHING

Is there a relationship between the high school coach and the middle school coaches, or even the pee wee football teams? Does the middle school and pee wee do the same offense and defense as the high school? My personal opinion that would be the first step /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Is there a relationship between the high school coach and the middle school coaches, or even the pee wee football teams? Does the middle school and pee wee do the same offense and defense as the high school? My personal opinion that would be the first step /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No, they do not communicate as far as what to run, terminology, and practice routines. I am sure they talk but not about the things you are talking about. Also I agree, this would be a great start.

As far as the volunteers go I will refer to the good book "ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE".

As far as who mowed the field for the '83 team, John Swafford. He and Jim Warden were the only coaches on staff, a year or so later Sanford Quay began to help as an assistant, but the staff for the '83 team only had 2 coaches. They had a volunteer that kept stats on game night and another volunteer that helped upstairs in the box watching things and would go down and tell what they saw at halftime. As far as the field being given a makeover, John Swafford and 1 volunteer brought in Bermuda sod just before the '85 season. They had to go pick it up in the coaches old worn out green pickup and borrowed a neighbors equipment to put in down with along with another volunteer and a couple of kids. The program back then was funded with gait money and a little fundraising and players were even given the cleats to wear so no player had to spend any of their own money to play and a couple of years they took trips to Florida and Disney World after going to the playoffs. Their was no field house then it was later built before the '88 season while Sanford Quay was coaching. The weight room was an old classroom before the field house was built and the weight benches and squat racks were built by a volunteer whose family has contributed greatly to the athletics in Bledsoe as well as other counties that I will not name on here (I never knew him to want any credit for all he did, someone else can tell if they want). Before that equipment was available the coach made a deal with "The Spa" to let players work out 3 days per week for free for a couple of years. Believe me I know things and times have changed since those days and I have been fortunate enough to have grown up here and now to be raising my son here. I know there are problems that need to be worked through, and if I had the answers I would certainly share them. But remember, Bledsoe County has had problems in the past with lots of different things and has always bounced back. We will again, just like the '83 team that has been referred to, that bunch in the 8th grade had no coach, so a woman said she would do it and has the best record ever of a middle school team in Pikeville.

Go Big Blue!

As far as who mowed the field for the '83 team, John Swafford. He and Jim Warden were the only coaches on staff, a year or so later Sanford Quay began to help as an assistant, but the staff for the '83 team only had 2 coaches. They had a volunteer that kept stats on game night and another volunteer that helped upstairs in the box watching things and would go down and tell what they saw at halftime. As far as the field being given a makeover, John Swafford and 1 volunteer brought in Bermuda sod just before the '85 season. They had to go pick it up in the coaches old worn out green pickup and borrowed a neighbors equipment to put in down with along with another volunteer and a couple of kids. The program back then was funded with gait money and a little fundraising and players were even given the cleats to wear so no player had to spend any of their own money to play and a couple of years they took trips to Florida and Disney World after going to the playoffs. Their was no field house then it was later built before the '88 season while Sanford Quay was coaching. The weight room was an old classroom before the field house was built and the weight benches and squat racks were built by a volunteer whose family has contributed greatly to the athletics in Bledsoe as well as other counties that I will not name on here (I never knew him to want any credit for all he did, someone else can tell if they want). Before that equipment was available the coach made a deal with "The Spa" to let players work out 3 days per week for free for a couple of years. Believe me I know things and times have changed since those days and I have been fortunate enough to have grown up here and now to be raising my son here. I know there are problems that need to be worked through, and if I had the answers I would certainly share them. But remember, Bledsoe County has had problems in the past with lots of different things and has always bounced back. We will again, just like the '83 team that has been referred to, that bunch in the 8th grade had no coach, so a woman said she would do it and has the best record ever of a middle school team in Pikeville.

Go Big Blue!

All that stuff sounds well and good, and it is easy for you to just say "well it will get better". Your son is not having to deal with all the junk going on right now. All the kids don't have several years to wait for this thing to turn around like yours does. If your son was in High School you would not be so easy going about the way the program is going.

watching big #30 randy sharp running the last play of the game like it was the first ....as hard and for all he could get...aaaaaaaaaaaayea.....the good ole days.....

My freshman year at Wartburg was the fall of 82 and we played Bledsoe County at home that year. I remember they had a HUGE running back and a big kid at linebacker who was one of the best I've ever seen. I also remember that they beat us like 28-8 or something like that. Tell me, did either of those guys play college ball?

At the risk of being jumped on by every Hubert Hater on this forum... I have some questions... And please answer them honestly....

What type of Athletic Club / Quarterback Club does Bledsoe County have? How is the football (or any sports program) funded? Do they have to make their own way off gates, concessions and fundraising or is there some supplemental funding by the school district? What kind of staff does the football program have (paid assistants, volunteer coaches, etc...)?

Let's face it... Bledsoe's facility is not the worst around but it could use some renovations.... Is there money available to do a makeover? The first step, as silly as it seems, to getting young people to perform well is to have a facility that they can take pride in.... For those of us who are older, it doesn't make sense, but I've seen it first hand in today's young people.... If they look good... If their facilities look good.... They will have more pride and will perform better.... Ask SP people what their new weight room meant to team morale... Ask Marion people about the affects of the new lockers and minor renovations in the weight room.... It makes a difference...

I noticed when we (JMS) came up there to play BCMS, there were only two or three people helping Hubert... I'm assuming these were all paid assistants... Where are the volunteers that could be helping? Answer.... on here bashing the coach and program.... again, look at SP... they have three assitants (paid or volunteer) for every player it seems like.... but the result is that things get done and the coach isn't bearing all of the load.... Same for Marion... we have several unpaid volunteers that devote a lot of their personal time to helping the program.....

Who does the maintenance on the field and facility? From what I understand, the unfortunate events that took place recently happened because Hubert was mowing the field and left the kids unattended.... It's ridiculous to think that a high school coach in a football rich area of the state would have to mow his own field. I'm not certain, but I'd be willing to bet that a head coach at Marion County hasn't mowed his own field since the 1970's.... We have people who take care of things like that.... SP just did some renovations/painting at their stadium... I doubt very seriously that Vic did very much manual labor on it... Why? Because they have people in their community who are willing and able to do the work so that the boys can have a place to play that they are proud of.....

Winning and losing at the high school level doesn't always come down to knowing X's and O's.... Sometimes, it's the simple things that can boost morale, instill a sense of pride and create an environment that makes young men and women have a desire to improve..... The kids have to have pride in their school and their program before they will bust their butt to get better themselves.... Just because you are the BIG BLUE (and it means alot to some of you old timers) doesn't cut it with the young people of today.... They are different....

What I see at Bledsoe is a bunch of people who like to get on here and dog the coach(es), the programs, the administration and anyone else they can blame rather than stepping up to the plate and offering to do something productive to help support the school and it's programs.....

The University of Tennessee has one of the nicest stadiums in the country, and they are not doing well. Sequatchie County has some of the nicest facilities aswell but, look at the record we had the last two years compared to now. If you are not prepared to play football and excecute on game day having nice facilities is mute. However, having nice facilities probably will help moral as you said but, once yhe helment is strapped on it's erelevent.

At the risk of being jumped on by every Hubert Hater on this forum... I have some questions... And please answer them honestly....

What type of Athletic Club / Quarterback Club does Bledsoe County have? How is the football (or any sports program) funded? Do they have to make their own way off gates, concessions and fundraising or is there some supplemental funding by the school district? What kind of staff does the football program have (paid assistants, volunteer coaches, etc...)?

Let's face it... Bledsoe's facility is not the worst around but it could use some renovations.... Is there money available to do a makeover? The first step, as silly as it seems, to getting young people to perform well is to have a facility that they can take pride in.... For those of us who are older, it doesn't make sense, but I've seen it first hand in today's young people.... If they look good... If their facilities look good.... They will have more pride and will perform better.... Ask SP people what their new weight room meant to team morale... Ask Marion people about the affects of the new lockers and minor renovations in the weight room.... It makes a difference...

I noticed when we (JMS) came up there to play BCMS, there were only two or three people helping Hubert... I'm assuming these were all paid assistants... Where are the volunteers that could be helping? Answer.... on here bashing the coach and program.... again, look at SP... they have three assitants (paid or volunteer) for every player it seems like.... but the result is that things get done and the coach isn't bearing all of the load.... Same for Marion... we have several unpaid volunteers that devote a lot of their personal time to helping the program.....

Who does the maintenance on the field and facility? From what I understand, the unfortunate events that took place recently happened because Hubert was mowing the field and left the kids unattended.... It's ridiculous to think that a high school coach in a football rich area of the state would have to mow his own field. I'm not certain, but I'd be willing to bet that a head coach at Marion County hasn't mowed his own field since the 1970's.... We have people who take care of things like that.... SP just did some renovations/painting at their stadium... I doubt very seriously that Vic did very much manual labor on it... Why? Because they have people in their community who are willing and able to do the work so that the boys can have a place to play that they are proud of.....

Winning and losing at the high school level doesn't always come down to knowing X's and O's.... Sometimes, it's the simple things that can boost morale, instill a sense of pride and create an environment that makes young men and women have a desire to improve..... The kids have to have pride in their school and their program before they will bust their butt to get better themselves.... Just because you are the BIG BLUE (and it means alot to some of you old timers) doesn't cut it with the young people of today.... They are different....

What I see at Bledsoe is a bunch of people who like to get on here and dog the coach(es), the programs, the administration and anyone else they can blame rather than stepping up to the plate and offering to do something productive to help support the school and it's programs.....

purplegrad if only you knew how some of our volunteers coaches are treated. i for one know first hand because i'm one of these people, i have put in hundred of hours working to make our team better and all it takes is one or two parents to run in to the Principle and your off the field because they want some one eles out there. so tell me why i would spend all this money and time in the off season just to be stabed in the back.

My freshman year at Wartburg was the fall of 82 and we played Bledsoe County at home that year. I remember they had a HUGE running back and a big kid at linebacker who was one of the best I've ever seen. I also remember that they beat us like 28-8 or something like that. Tell me, did either of those guys play college ball?

The running back you are talking about would have been Randy Sharp, he was a Jr. that year. His brother was a Sr. the year before that and played Tail Back for that team that went 8-2 and won the district. Randy played the next year on the '83 team that won the district and region and lost in the quarterfinals to Loundon. Randy walked on at Carson Newman and I don't believe he played the entire first season, but I know if he did he did not go back to school after Christmas. The linbacker that I think you are talking about was Kyle Thomas. He was a Sr. that year and ran the ball some as well. I am sure that is who you are talking about and he did not play college ball anywhere. His younger brother played linebacker and running back the next year on the '83 team as a Jr. and went on to be the Special Teams captain at UT. I remember that game well. My brother changed a play at the line of scrimmage and ran a touchdown. I thought the coach was going to kill him for not running what he had called, and rightfully so. It probably made him a better player for it. Fun times!