WEBB VS. RYAN

GOAT2000

Back to the original point if I may......Webb was very well prepared for this game...nothing fancy, just some off balance and a little misdirection and Voila!....One score was all that was needed....I will say that Ryan shot themselves in the foot with costly penalties particularly right before halftime....Cbg is correct, The Irish are done for the season with murderers row awaiting them ....BGA and Webb were the swing games and we lost both....Our offense is in shambles and will probably not improve in the next 3 games...What we are trying to run (the spread) will simply not work against the DIV II top teams.........Plus we are not even trying to feature our best athletes........Our offensive coaches at Ryan are just pitiful.......Even worse than the Jemison years........

[/quo

Everyday in life you hear or read something that is just plain old ignorant. For you to say the coach's at Ryan are just pitful makes no sense at all. How many games have you coached or played in your for that matter? Ryan is goin to be just fine the rest of this season, and for years to come.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goat2000, I never played 1 single down of high school football a Father Ryan.....I witnessed my first Father Ryan football game in 1968....I have personally attended well over 250 Ryan games since then.....Maybe "pitiful" was too harsh a word to use to describe the "offensive" coaches at Ryan...."inept" is a better adjective to describe them. I made my observations after having attended 5 of the 7 games we have played so far, speaking to two assistant coaches of teams we have already played...speaking with parents of 3 offensive starters....I make no apologies for my original statement....It is what it is.......I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong going forward....On the flip side of things, Our defense has done a pretty good job for most of the season considering what position the offense has put them in time and time again and how long they have had to stay on the field....Kudos to the defensive coaching staff.

P S Cbg....I was referring to Ryan`s version of the spread offense not working against DII top level teams....I know it can be effective with the right personnel, coached and executed correctly.

Goat2000, I never played 1 single down of high school football a Father Ryan.....I witnessed my first Father Ryan football game in 1968....I have personally attended well over 250 Ryan games since then.....Maybe "pitiful" was too harsh a word to use to describe the "offensive" coaches at Ryan...."inept" is a better adjective to describe them. I made my observations after having attended 5 of the 7 games we have played so far, speaking to two assistant coaches of teams we have already played...speaking with parents of 3 offensive starters....I make no apologies for my original statement....It is what it is.......I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong going forward....On the flip side of things, Our defense has done a pretty good job for most of the season considering what position the offense has put them in time and time again and how long they have had to stay on the field....Kudos to the defensive coaching staff.

P S Cbg....I was referring to Ryan`s version of the spread offense not working against DII top level teams....I know it can be effective with the right personnel, coached and executed correctly.

Sounds good, but the coaches from another team should not be assessing the coaching of another ball club. The ryan offensive staff and staff in general is a very good on and will be just find. The spread offense is not one that can be picked up over night. The Irish will be fine, and all true Ryan fans and alumni will continue to believe in them. Band wagon riders there are no room for them

Sounds good, but the coaches from another team should not be assessing the coaching of another ball club. The ryan offensive staff and staff in general is a very good on and will be just find. The spread offense is not one that can be picked up over night. The Irish will be fine, and all true Ryan fans and alumni will continue to believe in them. Band wagon riders there are no room for them

Goat2000,

You don't have to worry about "band wagon riders" with the Irish football team. The 2007-08 season was the best that you will have for the next few years so there should be all the room that one could desire in the old covered wagon. You should not have any "front runners" trying to climb on board in the near future.

DS2001,

Your words were not too harsh but only truthful. The problem with Ryan is they need to go back to the day's of Donnley, Bateman & Drennan and stop trying to "sugar coat" everything. When the team is bad just say they are a bad team. When the pain get's bad enough and the Irish faithful get tired of loosing they will make the necessary changes to fix the problems with the football program. When the alumni, parents & friends get ticked off they will start to call & email the president & principal and only then will the problem be fixed because they will not want to hear all of the complaints. Trust me when I say that a bad football team will hurt the fundraising efforts that are taking place as we speak. You will get your new stadium but who will show up to watch a bad team play in a new stadium other than the parents?

That is a very good question about parking. I am not sure if there is additional pavement on campus in the new plans or not. But it may have to be shuttling again from a short distance away. You are correct about St. Joseph, virtually all its players go to JPII. And it appears that Ensworth will be tempting to St Henry athletes as well. I have often wondered about the mystery of the freshman to varisty transition in football. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> PS--its your stadium too Woodroof, you are part of the family.

Actually, it's not my stadium...the only common family we share is the Catholic one. I'm an old (emphasis on old) MBA man. In my day, BA was a single A school, Ensworth was the equivalent of a bye week in the HVAC, and MBA-Ryan was THE game in Nashville.

Like most MBA people, our joy at tearing down the old facility on Elliston Place was crushed by the news that they were building a new place. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Actually, it's not my stadium...the only common family we share is the Catholic one. I'm an old (emphasis on old) MBA man. In my day, BA was a single A school, Ensworth was the equivalent of a bye week in the HVAC, and MBA-Ryan was THE game in Nashville.

Like most MBA people, our joy at tearing down the old facility on Elliston Place was crushed by the news that they were building a new place. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I know what common family we share, thats what I was referring to. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Goat2000,

You don't have to worry about "band wagon riders" with the Irish football team. The 2007-08 season was the best that you will have for the next few years so there should be all the room that one could desire in the old covered wagon. You should not have any "front runners" trying to climb on board in the near future.

DS2001,

Your words were not too harsh but only truthful. The problem with Ryan is they need to go back to the day's of Donnley, Bateman & Drennan and stop trying to "sugar coat" everything. When the team is bad just say they are a bad team. When the pain get's bad enough and the Irish faithful get tired of loosing they will make the necessary changes to fix the problems with the football program. When the alumni, parents & friends get ticked off they will start to call & email the president & principal and only then will the problem be fixed because they will not want to hear all of the complaints. Trust me when I say that a bad football team will hurt the fundraising efforts that are taking place as we speak. You will get your new stadium but who will show up to watch a bad team play in a new stadium other than the parents?

Father Ryan does not need to go back. They need to go forward. And they have in most sports, just not football. And fundraising is not dependent on football and it never has been. Poor ole cbg, he still remembers the good ole days when football superseded every other sport and other athletes were treated unfairly if by nothing else by being largely ignored. I wonder if back in those days if a Catholic student attempting to get into Ryan was turned down, but when some big boy came through the door, all of a sudden, there was an opening. I can't say for sure that this ever happened, but not many Catholics would want this. The Irish might get tired of losing if football was the only sport played at Ryan. This is not the same ole all boys school that I bet you favor. Father Ryan was created to give a quality education to its students in every way, spiritually, academically, and socially. Thats what it was created for. Thats not going to change. There might be a time when several top-notch public school players like Mike Wright (zoned for Glencliff) come to Ryan, but I doubt it. I don't see any alumni standing in line to write checks for players to play at Ryan. That would be the only way, they certainly aren't not going to bend the rules on fiananial aid. Ryan has an excellant coach, just don't have the talent to compete with what is arguably the toughest division in the state of Tennessee. The fundraising efforts are moving forward just fine, I sure am glad that most people realize that winning is not everything, and certainly should not be the guage as to a decision to contribute to Ryan or not. PS Ryan has much bigger problems being down over a hundred students from just a few years ago. JPII not reached the student level it had hoped for either. Capacity for JPII 800-present student population approx 683, Ryan capacity 1000-present student pop approx 860. Tuition at both schools approaching 10,000 a year. What should be priority number one? It should be for Father Ryan and JPII to make every effort possible for any Catholic student that has a desire to go there to be able to do it. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> PS. I and many others will show up to watch the Irish cause true fans come rain or shine.