WEBB VS. RYAN

GOAT2000

I'm sure Father Ryan was confident this past Friday night against Knox Webb. Once the game started, they knew they were in a fight with a team they thought had no chance to beat them.

I think it fired Knox Webb up that Father Ryan didn't provide a locker room for Knox Webb and they had to change in the parking lot or bus.

Knox Webb doesn't have the numbers or depth of athletes that DII teams have, in fact they dress about 50 players and dozen or so of them are freshman. What Knox Webb does have are a staff of very good coaches who squeeze every ounce of their ability out and makes them competitive with much better, more athletic teams.

Greer is a but they are building a stadium on campus. There will be plenty of locker room from what I hear, for both sides.

Also, cbg, Ryan has one of the best athletic programs in the state. State-winning soccer, wrestling, bowling, and baseball teams, as well as basketball and volleyball programs that win titles annually. Sure football is not our best sport, buts its getting better every year. Find me a school thats as well rounded as Ryan is in athletics with the same academic standards and achievements, if you can.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a school rule that says you are not able to have great academics and a successful football program at the same time? If the volleyball, soccer, wrestling & baseball teams are able to compete with some of the top teams in the USA, why would the football team not be able to do the same?

I would guess that one of the reasons is that we haven't tapped Highland Heights middle school and other public school students that are obviously going to be great athletes like some schools have. During the telecast of MBA and Ensworth. MBA's commercial cited 1.2 million of financial aid available each year, I bet Ryan does not have that much. And the reason that Ryan is successful in the other sports you mentioned is because the athletes they have are simply good enough to do it from the normal pool of students that come to Ryan. There is a school rule that says you don't favor athletes to those students in need of assistence to go to Ryan. And no Catholic student should ever be turned down for financial aid that qualifies for it, especially if a non-catholic student is receiving it, athlete or not. It is by definition a Catholic school. The main rule is do things right, fair, just, if football has to suffer, so be it. PS The construction of the stadium on Ryan's campus will begin this spring, has 2300 seats, new concession stands, other buildings as well, new track not made of asphault, renovation of the baseball and softball fields. Perhaps things are progressing pretty good, just not good enough for all. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

2006 girl's soccer-runners up, guy's soccer-state champs, baseball-runners up, golf-runners up?

2007 girl's soccer-state champs, golf-runners up

2008 class of 09 has 7 national merit scholars, football is 6-0, soccer is top 10 in midstate again

7 state championships in football

3 in soccer

back to back in basketball in the 90's

best baseball facility in the southeast

and im sure im leaving out alot of others

just saying

Back to the original point if I may......Webb was very well prepared for this game...nothing fancy, just some off balance and a little misdirection and Voila!....One score was all that was needed....I will say that Ryan shot themselves in the foot with costly penalties particularly right before halftime....Cbg is correct, The Irish are done for the season with murderers row awaiting them ....BGA and Webb were the swing games and we lost both....Our offense is in shambles and will probably not improve in the next 3 games...What we are trying to run (the spread) will simply not work against the DIV II top teams.........Plus we are not even trying to feature our best athletes........Our offensive coaches at Ryan are just pitiful.......Even worse than the Jemison years........

Back to the original point if I may......Webb was very well prepared for this game...nothing fancy, just some off balance and a little misdirection and Voila!....One score was all that was needed....I will say that Ryan shot themselves in the foot with costly penalties particularly right before halftime....Cbg is correct, The Irish are done for the season with murderers row awaiting them ....BGA and Webb were the swing games and we lost both....Our offense is in shambles and will probably not improve in the next 3 games...What we are trying to run (the spread) will simply not work against the DIV II top teams.........Plus we are not even trying to feature our best athletes........Our offensive coaches at Ryan are just pitiful.......Even worse than the Jemison years........

DS2001,

The spread will work in D2!!!!! Look @ what MUS does!!!!! Look @ what Byrnes did to MBA!!!!!!! The problem is that the Irish do not know how to run the spread!!!!

I would guess that one of the reasons is that we haven't tapped Highland Heights middle school and other public school students that are obviously going to be great athletes like some schools have. During the telecast of MBA and Ensworth. MBA's commercial cited 1.2 million of financial aid available each year, I bet Ryan does not have that much. And the reason that Ryan is successful in the other sports you mentioned is because the athletes they have are simply good enough to do it from the normal pool of students that come to Ryan. There is a school rule that says you don't favor athletes to those students in need of assistence to go to Ryan. And no Catholic student should ever be turned down for financial aid that qualifies for it, especially if a non-catholic student is receiving it, athlete or not. It is by definition a Catholic school. The main rule is do things right, fair, just, if football has to suffer, so be it. PS The construction of the stadium on Ryan's campus will begin this spring, has 2300 seats, new concession stands, other buildings as well, new track not made of asphault, renovation of the baseball and softball fields. Perhaps things are progressing pretty good, just not good enough for all. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

We've had this discussion before and I agree completely with your priorities. Ryan does have an outstanding athletic program; their football team is not what it used to be. As much as I love football (and on this board, it's all I follow, until there's a HS hockey section), that's not the be-all, end-all of an athletic program. One of the things that probably hurts the football program is that I suspect (though can't prove) that you lose a lot of St. Joseph kids to JP II. I think you also lose a fair number of St. Henry kids to MBA (or at least it was in my day). Those are two of the traditionally stronger football teams in the parochial school league.

Still, it's hard to get around the fact that Ryan produces good freshman football teams; somewhere, there's a disconnect.

And while your new stadium may seat 2,300, where on earth will they park? I was at a freshman game and it was chaos; I can't imagine a big game out there.

When and where has Coach Lussier ever run the spread offense? Why do I get the feeling he is going to be turning this program over to the OC (McPhail) soon. I may be way off base on this but something doesn't seem right. Even Ole Dad doesn't post about Ryan anymore. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Baylor?

2008 Wrestling, Girl's track

2007 Wrestling, Soccer, Cross Country, Boy's and Girls Golf

2006 Wrestling, Baseball, Boy's and Girl's Golf

Girls's softball, 2003, 2004, 2005

The list goes on

98 total state championships

academic excellence

just saying

You forgot #1 in the NATION in swimming and top ranked, again, in girl's soccer.

10 National Merit Semifinalists this year

"Just saying"

We've had this discussion before and I agree completely with your priorities. Ryan does have an outstanding athletic program; their football team is not what it used to be. As much as I love football (and on this board, it's all I follow, until there's a HS hockey section), that's not the be-all, end-all of an athletic program. One of the things that probably hurts the football program is that I suspect (though can't prove) that you lose a lot of St. Joseph kids to JP II. I think you also lose a fair number of St. Henry kids to MBA (or at least it was in my day). Those are two of the traditionally stronger football teams in the parochial school league.

Still, it's hard to get around the fact that Ryan produces good freshman football teams; somewhere, there's a disconnect.

And while your new stadium may seat 2,300, where on earth will they park? I was at a freshman game and it was chaos; I can't imagine a big game out there.

That is a very good question about parking. I am not sure if there is additional pavement on campus in the new plans or not. But it may have to be shuttling again from a short distance away. You are correct about St. Joseph, virtually all its players go to JPII. And it appears that Ensworth will be tempting to St Henry athletes as well. I have often wondered about the mystery of the freshman to varisty transition in football. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> PS--its your stadium too Woodroof, you are part of the family.

When and where has Coach Lussier ever run the spread offense? Why do I get the feeling he is going to be turning this program over to the OC (McPhail) soon. I may be way off base on this but something doesn't seem right. Even Ole Dad doesn't post about Ryan anymore. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Thats an interesting point. Time will tell. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />