Oak Ridge @ William Blount

tpoole12

Okay, here's how the situation was described to me. Coach Stevens and a handful of players were joking around during a break in practice. Coach pulled out a pocket knife in a joking manner and opened it. It wasn't like he pulled out a dangerous weapon and threatened a kid, they were joking. Now, was it poor judgement and a foolish thing to do? Definately. Carringer talked to all the players that saw or heard the incident on Friday during school, and he's already talked to Stanton, before the game on Friday. So, where does that leave us? Zero tolerance? How will Bailey handle this? Do you fire an adult teacher/coach for having a pocket knife? I guess we shall see.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tposter, I have heard the same rumors as everyone else. I know the coaches met on Sunday as they usually do, there was nothing said about the alleged incident. I just talked to one of the assistants, I won't say which one, but a current member of this years staff knew nothing about it as of 9:30 on Monday morning. So, if in fact Coach Stevens is in some trouble, his assistants don't know anything about it yet. So, who knows? Until an administrator addresses the situation publicly, we won't know anything for sure. I will say this, the story I've heard seems pretty far fetched. I don't know how the other coaches wouldn't know about the alleged incident. BUT, stranger things have happened. So, I don't know what to think.

Thanks Kat, it does seem a little far fetched. But if you would have told me Booster Club members were fighting in the bathroom, that would be out there with it. Everyone too may be on the hush hush about this to respect Stephens until its made public. It also may be like someone else told me last night, that he is wanted gone by so many, that people are just starting to make these things up as they go to speed up the process. Anyway, hope you know who this is.

Okay, here's how the situation was described to me. Coach Stevens and a handful of players were joking around during a break in practice. Coach pulled out a pocket knife in a joking manner and opened it. It wasn't like he pulled out a dangerous weapon and threatened a kid, they were joking. Now, was it poor judgement and a foolish thing to do? Definately. Carringer talked to all the players that saw or heard the incident on Friday during school, and he's already talked to Stanton, before the game on Friday. So, where does that leave us? Zero tolerance? How will Bailey handle this? Do you fire an adult teacher/coach for having a pocket knife? I guess we shall see.

I heard the same thing,

it would not be ok for a student/ teacher to pull a knife & joke about it, There are many examples of the zero tolerance policy across the country. Do I think he meant to hurt anyone? No.

Has anyone at the school been suspended or expelled for doing the same thing? If so, Stevens should share their fate.

The admin needs to be consistent..... His file must be a mile high by now with things that are inappropriate.

If he does get away with this, what example are we setting? If a student is expelled for a similar act, look out for the lawsuit.

I heard the rumors from a parent of a current player who said Stevens pulled out a knife and said that's what he carries for protection. The post I posted about the ACHS students had nothing to do with Stevens other than the fact that they arrested 4 kids just for having a weapon in their car on campus. I suspect that zero tolerance applies to teachers as well as students. If it doesn't apply to teachers then I pity the school system the next time they try to expel a student.

I guess we will wait and see if true and what Bailey does if it is true. This is one that Bailey could go out on as well.

Ole Dad

Tposter, I have heard the same rumors as everyone else. I know the coaches met on Sunday as they usually do, there was nothing said about the alleged incident. I just talked to one of the assistants, I won't say which one, but a current member of this years staff knew nothing about it as of 9:30 on Monday morning. So, if in fact Coach Stevens is in some trouble, his assistants don't know anything about it yet. So, who knows? Until an administrator addresses the situation publicly, we won't know anything for sure. I will say this, the story I've heard seems pretty far fetched. I don't know how the other coaches wouldn't know about the alleged incident. BUT, stranger things have happened. So, I don't know what to think.

William Blount is coming off a tough loss to Farragut. I dont think that they will come to play and Oak Ridge will win this one 41-28.

Big Blue you could not be more wrong. Having watched WB against the Owls the one thing they are not short on is heart. They come to play every down. Have they had some tough losses... yes, have they had plenty of injuries... yes, are they yount... yes, but they do not hang their heads. They will play hard and with all the turmoil happening at OR, they should and will win. With all the expierence they are gaining look out next year, the Gov's will be a force to reckon with.

I hope Cope is ok, I really enjoyed talking with his Dad and TPoole.

By definition, the pocket knife is not a "zero tolerance" offense. Read the code for yourself.

http://www.ortn.edu/default.cfm?TargetSchoolMenuID=955

Even if it was an official Swiss Army Knive? With 3 different cutting blades; a saw; a bottle opener; a cork screw; both phillips and flathead screwdrivers; a magnifying glass; a removeable toothpick; and a l.e.d. light? Surely this type of knife would merit "zero tolerance."

You need to go back to law school, because that is not what it says at all.

If you say" This is my protection I carry" then that item becomes a weapon. Also, is determined by length of blade, etc. according to the code. It does absolutely not exclude a "pocket knife".

We will see what Bailey thinks. I see a can of worms.

Ole Dad

By definition, the pocket knife is not a "zero tolerance" offense. Read the code for yourself.

http://www.ortn.edu/default.cfm?TargetSchoolMenuID=955