Ranked Teams

MVM

Farragut scored in the 2nd minute of the game. Oak Ridge outshot Farragut 9-5 but was unable to finish. OR was missing their starting keeper; however, I doubt she would have prevented the goal.

After that, did Farragut revert to a defensive game, and pack the box, or did they continue trying to score?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that, did Farragut revert to a defensive game, and pack the box, or did they continue trying to score?

Saw the game, tough, hard fought, quality win for the Admirals. O.R. out shot Farragut and was putting typcial pressue last part of 2nd half during crunch time. Farragut did not pack it in the box after the score, they continued their normal game plan and tried to put pressure and score as well. Pretty much looked like a track meet with some long deep runs and counter attacks for both sides. O.R. has a tough defensive line and was it difficult to play through balls, something that they couldn't solve in last years regional game. They didn't solve it in this game either as the goal started from a throw in deep in O.R. territory.

Mid field wings for Farragut were constantly chasing O.R. attackers to support their defensive backs. O.R. penetrated several times, but it always seemed like they took that extra touch in attempts to get in a better position to take the shot. O.R. hit cross bar, I think three times, and Buzzio did come up big with some quality saves for Farragut.

Next game, again in the regionals, AND assuming both advance through districts, should be fun.

Farragut, Bearden, Oak Ridge, and West seem to be the favorites to come out of their respective districts barring a Karns or Maryville upset. Who seem to be the frontrunners for the district and regional titles? Does one stand out above the rest? What strengths and weaknesses exist that will be the difference makers?

Greeneville has 12 wins and 6 losses. 5 of those losses were against teams currently ranked in the top 10; 1 was against a previously ranked team (Dobyns-Bennett). 2 losses were blow-outs (Oak Ridge and Bearden - both 5-0 scores) The other games all very close. 3 losses were by 1 goal scored late in the game (ECS, Briarcrest, DobynsBennett); The Farragut loss was by a goal scored on an early direct just outside the 18 without any further scoring.

Then I look at the Eurosport rankings for AAA. There's Gtown Houston at #10 with a 10-5-1 record who also lost to all its ranked opponents; Soddy-Daisy at #8 with an impressive sounding 13-1-0 record but its only game against a ranked team is a loss to Riverdale; Then Riverdale at #11 with a 12-2-1 record with only 3 games against ranked teams winning 1(see Soddy-Daisy above) and losing 2.

No way do I think Greeneville should be ranked but looks like you can either pad your schedule and get ranked or run with the big dogs and get experience for the post season.

Greeneville has 12 wins and 6 losses. 5 of those losses were against teams currently ranked in the top 10; 1 was against a previously ranked team (Dobyns-Bennett). 2 losses were blow-outs (Oak Ridge and Bearden - both 5-0 scores) The other games all very close. 3 losses were by 1 goal scored late in the game (ECS, Briarcrest, DobynsBennett); The Farragut loss was by a goal scored on an early direct just outside the 18 without any further scoring.

Then I look at the Eurosport rankings for AAA. There's Gtown Houston at #10 with a 10-5-1 record who also lost to all its ranked opponents; Soddy-Daisy at #8 with an impressive sounding 13-1-0 record but its only game against a ranked team is a loss to Riverdale; Then Riverdale at #11 with a 12-2-1 record with only 3 games against ranked teams winning 1(see Soddy-Daisy above) and losing 2.

No way do I think Greeneville should be ranked but looks like you can either pad your schedule and get ranked or run with the big dogs and get experience for the post season.

Where did you get your numbers? Eurosport has a 9-6-1 record for G'ville. And Soddy has played 4 ranked teams (Riverdale, Notre Dame, GPS & CCS). Nevertheless, I do agree with some other parts of your analysis. I had similar thoughts when I read MVM's post on unranked 10 win teams. When you get right down to it though, in post-season, rankings won't matter but experience and preparation will.

Updated 10/10/2008

Record Rank Team

6-3-1- 1- Notre Dame

3-1-2- 2- Franklin Road Acad.

2-1-1- 3 CAK

1-2-1- 4- Chatt. Christian

4-1-0- 5- USJ

0-2-0- 6- Knox Catholic

0-5-2- 7- CPA

0-4-2- 8- David Lipscomb

1-2-0- 9- Jackson Christian

1-0-0- 10- Station Camp

0-2-2- 11- Hume Fogg

AAA

4-2-1- 1- Oak Ridge

5-2-1- 2- Bearden

5-1-1- 3- Brentwood

5-2-1- 4- Franklin

4-2-1- 5- Collierville

2-2-5- 6- Ravenwood

1-3-0- 7- Siegel

3-1-0- 8- Soddy Daisy

3-3-0- 9- Farragut

3-5-1- 10- Gtown Houston

1-2-0- 11- Riverdale

D2

9-0-1- 1- Baylor

5-5-1- 2- Brentwood Acad.

7-1-0- 3- ECS

5-5-3- 4- BGA

3-4-3- 5- Father Ryan

1-3-0- 6- Briercrest

1-4-2- 7- St. Angus

0-5-2- 8- GPS

2-4-4- 9- Pope John Paul II

1-5-1- 10- St Benedict

0-9-1- 11- Ensworth

Ilovethisgame, The post above this one are the records of teams that have played each other that are ranked. I took the time to compile it because everyone seems to put so much into the rankings. I will agree that Greenville has a fine program and has done quite well in the past and this year also. Good Luck to your girls in the post season.

Where did you get your numbers? Eurosport has a 9-6-1 record for G'ville. And Soddy has played 4 ranked teams (Riverdale, Notre Dame, GPS & CCS). Nevertheless, I do agree with some other parts of your analysis. I had similar thoughts when I read MVM's post on unranked 10 win teams. When you get right down to it though, in post-season, rankings won't matter but experience and preparation will.

Eurosport does not have all of Greeneville's schedule posted - they are 12-6-1 as of last pm. Also, I looked at the AAA rankings today. There the schedule shows the only ranked teams SD played are Notre Dame and Riverdale - so I missed ND. If you go to AA/A and D11 I see that indeed GPS and CCS are ranked, so the AAA schedule is misleading. My apologies to Soddy-Daisy

Eurosport does not have all of Greeneville's schedule posted - they are 12-6-1 as of last pm. Also, I looked at the AAA rankings today. There the schedule shows the only ranked teams SD played are Notre Dame and Riverdale - so I missed ND. If you go to AA/A and D11 I see that indeed GPS and CCS are ranked, so the AAA schedule is misleading. My apologies to Soddy-Daisy

Love, you might want to start a new thread that analyzes unranked teams that have played ranked opponents to see who has played ranked opponents, and done well, yet aren't ranked.....

And what are the 3 games that Greeneville has not posted on Eurosport?

BTW, all of Eurosport schedules omit the ranking for teams from other divisions. Greeneville's page on Euorsport does not show that ECS and Briarcrest are ranked teams. Yet, you noted it in your original post.

And what are the 3 games that Greeneville has not posted on Eurosport?

BTW, all of Eurosport schedules omit the ranking for teams from other divisions. Greeneville's page on Euorsport does not show that ECS and Briarcrest are ranked teams. Yet, you noted it in your original post.

Answer #1

9/11/08 Greeneville 6 Science Hill 3

9/23/08 Greeneville 10 Jeff County 0

9/28/08 Greeneville 6 Crockett 0

Answer #2

Probably because I'm more obsessive about Greeneville's schedule. But if you notice, Notre Dame, Baylor and Brentwood Academy are ranked on AAA opponent schedules. Eurosport can sometimes be difficult to follow. I did overlook Soddy's ranked opponents and called myself on that point after reviewing to the other divisions rankings.