District 11aa

HHSnumber1fan

Season is about over. . . good time to bring back up the subject who is all district from each team?

Fairview: Johnson and Bledsoe

Harpeth: Caruthers

Sycamore: Dempsey

Creek Wood: Hyndman and Dotson

Waverly: Leonard

SC: Dylan Smith

MC: Daniel

Cheatham: Smart

These are my picks. Lets hear your opinions.

Here's my annual "I hate individual awards in team sports" rant.

Defense is under rated in the vote.

The vote doesn't really 'get' you anything.

Every vote is subjective and maybe biased.

Every team is not deserving of having a guy on a true all district team.

If you took your all star and put him on any of the other teams, does he make them better?

Now, uncharacteristically, here's why I think Trey Caruthers should be MVP.

1. He'd be the first pick by an unbiased observer in a pick up game at the gym from the 11AA candidates.

2. He makes everyone around him better.

3. When he had to be the leader, he stepped up. Write this down. He's the best leader that Harpeth has had on and off the court since I've been watching, which is Shane Dansby's senior year. He's a better teammate from his senior peers down to every freshman on the team. Trey could have packed it in after last year and decided just to 'get his' and the heck with the team. Instead, he's brought along a young team with him and made them better individually.

4. None of the other candidates are playing night in and night out with the weight that Trey has on his shoulders. Thank God.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you took your all star and put him on any of the other teams, does he make them better?

1. He'd be the first pick by an unbiased observer in a pick up game at the gym from the 11AA candidates.

3. When he had to be the leader, he stepped up. Write this down. He's the best leader that Harpeth has had on and off the court since I've been watching, which is Shane Dansby's senior year. He's a better teammate from his senior peers down to every freshman on the team. Trey could have packed it in after last year and decided just to 'get his' and the heck with the team. Instead, he's brought along a young team with him and made them better individually.

4. None of the other candidates are playing night in and night out with the weight that Trey has on his shoulders. Thank God.

I would have to agree with you about Trey's leadership. I would even go as far as saying Kevin and Trey were both better leaders than Shane. Shane was a great player and great guy, but was never really involved with the freshman, as Trey helps out the younger players. Trey decides how the team is going to act, if he is pumped then the team will be pumped, if he is having a bad day the team will have a bad day. They all really look up to him as a player and friend, and for a young team like this squad it is the only thing holding them up above water. Without Trey Harpeth would definitely by a 6 seed or worse. Based on depth and experience. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I appreciate your post. I said Trey is the M.V.P. and everyone is a distant second over a week ago. I am not a Harpeth parent, just an old man that has seen alot of roundball. That is not a knock on any of the other players in the district, just a compliment to Trey. When you talk about all tournament it is way more than just points and blocks and when you talk about C.W. you have to mention Hyndman and Dotson, but you cannot leave out Palmore. He is the only Senior and he leads by effort and desire to win. He does not care who scores or gets credit. He only cares about C.W. winning and he makes everyone else better.

Yep. To me, if you've got a lock down defensive guy that holds everyone's scorer to below their average by a good margin, you are positively affecting the game more than a guy who scores 20 and the guy he's guarding scores 20. Don't get me wrong, you have to have some offense too, it's just not the only thing and all district is typically all about offense.

Ok, I'm gonna rant some more. If you're bound and determined to give out individual awards for a team sport, then at least recognize the best defender, the best rebounder, the assist guy, 6th man and so on. Don't look at a scoring book and pick out the top 10 scorers in the league.

Tonight's action will pretty much let us know what the first round matchups are going to be once the district tournament begins.

1.) Creek Wood (11-1)

2.) Sycamore (9-3)

3.) Harpeth (8-4)

3.) Fairview (8-4)

5.) Waverly Central (5-7)

6.) Stewart Co. (4-9)

6.) Montgomery Central (4-9)

8.) Cheatham Co. (0-12)

Fairview at Harpeth: if the Indians win this contest then they will finish at #3 in the district because they would have completed a season sweep over the Jackets. If Fairview wins then they would have the inside track to #3 in the district and could clinch it on Friday with a win over Waverly.

Montgomery Central at Sycamore: if the War Eagles win then they are #2 in the district. If the Indians win + Stewart Co. loses to Creek Wood then they will be #6 in the district. If the Indians lose then they will finish at #7 in the district regardless of what the result of the Stewart Co. game finishes.

Creek Wood at Stewart Co.: the Red Hawks are #1 in the district. If the Rebels win then they are #6 in the district. If Montgomery Central loses then the Rebels are #6 in the district. If the Rebels lose and Montgomery Central wins then they are #7 in the district.

Cheatham Co. at Waverly Central: the Cubs are #8 in the district. The Tigers are #5 in the district.

I expect for Fairview, Sycamore, Creek Wood, and Waverly Central to all come away with victories tonight. I believe Fairview will win on Friday night as well and send Harpeth to the #4 spot to open against a Waverly Central squad that they have had trouble beating. The Yellow Jackets are on a roll coming off of wins at Waverly Central, Sycamore, and Cheatham Co. Look for Creek Wood to really use tonight's game as a tournament "tune up" against Stewart Co. I don't look for Taylor to play his main guns much at all against Harpeth at the end of the week. He'll rest them as much as possible. Sycamore is playing at home with a chance to finish at #2. I look for them to really clamp down and blow the Indians of Montgomery Central right out of the gym tonight. Waverly Central & Cheatham Co. are playing to better themselves as teams before next week's toruney. The Tigers still do have an opportunity to finish the season at .500 in district play so look for Rawling to use that as motivation for his guys starting tonight against the winless Cubs.

Finally ksgovols, my vote for District MVP is going to Ben Johnson from Fairview. He is the best "all around" player in the district and I would pick him for my team anyday over Trey Curruthers. Of course that is just my opinion.

2008-2009 All-District 11-AA Basketball Team

Creek Wood: Hyndman, Dotson, Darden, Palmore

Sycamore: Dempsey, Staggs, Froedden

Fairview: Johnsoon, Bledsoe, Hills

Harpeth: Curruthers, Jones, Horkins

Waverly Central: Vogel, Leonard, Gilbert

Stewart Co.: D. Smith, B. Smith

Montgomery Central: Hyatt, Daniel

Cheatham Co.: Smart

2008-2009 District 11-AA Most Valuable Player Award

1.) Ben Johnson (Fairview)

2.) Trey Curruthers (Harpeth)

3.) Travis Dempsey (Sycamore)

4.) Dylan Smith (Stewart Co.)

Again the way I vote the award doesn't mean that I vote for the best player off of the best team. I vote for the player that is most important to any chance of success that his team may have and helps put his team "over the top". Ben Johnson makes Fairview a completely different basketball team. He is a very versitile player that can play inside as well as out on the perimeter. Trey Curruthers is a very athletic versitile player who can finish near the rim. Travis Dempsey is the top traditional post player in the district. He has been a force for the last three years. Dylan Smith carries Stewart Co. and some of his performances have helped the Rebels knock off some teams that were expected to take care of them when looking at the preseason schedule.

Yep. To me, if you've got a lock down defensive guy that holds everyone's scorer to below their average by a good margin, you are positively affecting the game more than a guy who scores 20 and the guy he's guarding scores 20. Don't get me wrong, you have to have some offense too, it's just not the only thing and all district is typically all about offense.

Ok, I'm gonna rant some more. If you're bound and determined to give out individual awards for a team sport, then at least recognize the best defender, the best rebounder, the assist guy, 6th man and so on. Don't look at a scoring book and pick out the top 10 scorers in the league.

Havent seen Dotson kid from creek wood score many but theres not a defender

in the district that affects the game more from a defensive stand point.Him and hyndman

block or alter more shots than anybody in district,and there is not even a close

second to this duo. Dotson is great shot-blocker. Hyndman more of an offensive

threat.

So tonight's game is going to decide #3 and MVP? Cool.

Agreed about Dotson. I don't know if he could throw a basketball into the ocean, but he can block some shots and I think Hyndman is the quintessential post player in the district and Dempsey would be my power forward. If we're looking at it that way, my starting 11AA five would be:

PG Ben Leonard

SG Trey Caruthers

SF Ben Johnson

PF Travis Dempsey

P Aaron Hyndman

Harpeth beats Fairview at home tonight 69-67. Harpeth jumped out to a 13-2 lead in the first but Fairview came storming back to go up by 6 at the half. Harpeth cut into the lead by 1 and trailed by 5 at the beginning of the 4th. Caruthers had 23 on 9 of 16 shooting and Horkins had 23 on 10 of 12 shooting. Johnson led Fairview with 24 on 8 of 22, Bledsoe and Mills had 13 each. It was physical as promised with Johnson and Bledsoe fouling out in the 4th. I thought Trey's dunk from the baseline was the most athletic one he's ever made. Two steps from beyond the arc and airborn with his left. The Indians were without 2 of their first 7, home with fevers. Get well Collin and Travis.

Districts are set

1.) Creek Wood (12-1)

2.) Sycamore (10-3)

3.) Harpeth (9-4)

4.) Fairview (8-5)

5.) Waverly Central (6-7)

6.) Stewart Co. (4-10) split with MC, swept Cheatham and beat Harpeth

7.) Montgomery Central (4-10) split with SC, swept Cheatham and beat Waverly

8.) Cheatham Co. (0-13)

Nothing on the line but pride Friday night as Harpeth hosts Creekwood, Sycamore @ Cheatham, Fairview hosts Waverly.

Tonight's action will pretty much let us know what the first round matchups are going to be once the district tournament begins.

1.) Creek Wood (11-1)

2.) Sycamore (9-3)

3.) Harpeth (8-4)

3.) Fairview (8-4)

5.) Waverly Central (5-7)

6.) Stewart Co. (4-9)

6.) Montgomery Central (4-9)

8.) Cheatham Co. (0-12)

Fairview at Harpeth: if the Indians win this contest then they will finish at #3 in the district because they would have completed a season sweep over the Jackets. If Fairview wins then they would have the inside track to #3 in the district and could clinch it on Friday with a win over Waverly.

Montgomery Central at Sycamore: if the War Eagles win then they are #2 in the district. If the Indians win + Stewart Co. loses to Creek Wood then they will be #6 in the district. If the Indians lose then they will finish at #7 in the district regardless of what the result of the Stewart Co. game finishes.

Creek Wood at Stewart Co.: the Red Hawks are #1 in the district. If the Rebels win then they are #6 in the district. If Montgomery Central loses then the Rebels are #6 in the district. If the Rebels lose and Montgomery Central wins then they are #7 in the district.

Cheatham Co. at Waverly Central: the Cubs are #8 in the district. The Tigers are #5 in the district.

I expect for Fairview, Sycamore, Creek Wood, and Waverly Central to all come away with victories tonight. I believe Fairview will win on Friday night as well and send Harpeth to the #4 spot to open against a Waverly Central squad that they have had trouble beating. The Yellow Jackets are on a roll coming off of wins at Waverly Central, Sycamore, and Cheatham Co. Look for Creek Wood to really use tonight's game as a tournament "tune up" against Stewart Co. I don't look for Taylor to play his main guns much at all against Harpeth at the end of the week. He'll rest them as much as possible. Sycamore is playing at home with a chance to finish at #2. I look for them to really clamp down and blow the Indians of Montgomery Central right out of the gym tonight. Waverly Central & Cheatham Co. are playing to better themselves as teams before next week's toruney. The Tigers still do have an opportunity to finish the season at .500 in district play so look for Rawling to use that as motivation for his guys starting tonight against the winless Cubs.

Finally ksgovols, my vote for District MVP is going to Ben Johnson from Fairview. He is the best "all around" player in the district and I would pick him for my team anyday over Trey Curruthers. Of course that is just my opinion.

2008-2009 All-District 11-AA Basketball Team

Creek Wood: Hyndman, Dotson, Darden, Palmore

Sycamore: Dempsey, Staggs, Froedden

Fairview: Johnsoon, Bledsoe, Hills

Harpeth: Curruthers, Jones, Horkins

Waverly Central: Vogel, Leonard, Gilbert

Stewart Co.: D. Smith, B. Smith

Montgomery Central: Hyatt, Daniel

Cheatham Co.: Smart

2008-2009 District 11-AA Most Valuable Player Award

1.) Ben Johnson (Fairview)

2.) Trey Curruthers (Harpeth)

3.) Travis Dempsey (Sycamore)

4.) Dylan Smith (Stewart Co.)

Again the way I vote the award doesn't mean that I vote for the best player off of the best team. I vote for the player that is most important to any chance of success that his team may have and helps put his team "over the top". Ben Johnson makes Fairview a completely different basketball team. He is a very versitile player that can play inside as well as out on the perimeter. Trey Curruthers is a very athletic versitile player who can finish near the rim. Travis Dempsey is the top traditional post player in the district. He has been a force for the last three years. Dylan Smith carries Stewart Co. and some of his performances have helped the Rebels knock off some teams that were expected to take care of them when looking at the preseason schedule.

All good choices except for Waverly's Gilbert. No way he's all District. He scored 20 against a one win team from Cheatham tonight but other than that, he's been pretty silent this year. In fact, he has gradually declined in production since his sophomore year. He's a good kid, but not all District. Now Leonard and Vogel are all District.

great game at harpeth last night. harpeth hit a big shot when they needed it and fairview had two shots at the end to tie or win and came up short.

i am going to rant for a minute, and having been a high school ref for 9 years before deciding to take time off to watch some family members play high school sports, i think i am qualified to question refs and by no means do i want to take anything away from harpeth's win tonight but here goes:

i agree the game was physical, but in the fourth quarter the refs flat out dominated the game. in the last minute, fairview was shooting a pair to tie the game and the closest player to the shooter was horkins and just as the fairview player was getting ready to release his shot horkins raises both arms and shouts hey. this is a no brainer and is against the rules, you can have you arms up or down, but cannot move them up while the shooter is shooting. the rule states that the first time it happens if the free throw is missed it is a violation and a shot is awarded and a warning, the second time it is unsportsman like and a tech is accessed. then not 30 seconds later while fiarivew was shooting three free throws to tie he did it again. the ref was asked by the fairview staff why that it wasn't called both times, and the ref on the first one said it didn't effect the shot which was missed and the ref on the second one said he saw it and again did not think it effected the shot. the rule states that if it happens it should be called, not in the judgement of the ref did it affect the outcome.

also, when fairview would pick up at half court and the harpeth players drove to the hole, mainly horkins and trey, fairview was called for 6 hand checking fouls in the second half. on numerous occassions when bledsoe and johnson would be picked up at half court, the harpeth players would get body to body and ride the player all the way into the lane. no foul calls and the refs explaination was their hands were up. this is why bledsoe and johnson ended up fouling out and trey ended up with one foul. the body checks the harpeth player put on the fiarview players as they drove would have made the predators coaches proud.

the other problem was offensive fouls and the lack of them. bledsoe stepped through a double team and was called for pushing off which was a joke, and then on his fifth foul dansby was body checking him down the side lines and when bledsoe stopped dansby went flying by off balance and a whistle for pushing off again. the ref actually made the blocking foul signal and then saw who the players involved were and changed it to a charge on bledsoe. the other thing on that play i find distrubing is the ref immediately as he called the foul told the fairview coaches that was five fouls on bledsoe before the scorers table told the ref. how can a ref know exactly how many fouls a player has before being told by the score table if he wasn't looking to foul a player out.

trey on 5 occassions drove the lane and twice a block was called which i agreed with, but the other 3 times when it was clearly a charging foul the refs said play on and had a no call. i have sat it the preseason meetings between coaches and ref on numerous occassions and the TSSAA man running the meeting says every year there is no such thing a a play on, if there is contact it is either a block or a charge yet we keep seeing these non-calls. the foul that sent johnson out of the game a ticky tack foul and there was more contact on trey's steals and hills's steals earlier in the quarter. again the ref told the fairview coach that is was 5 fouls before being informed by the scorers table.

how about a loose ball in the lane and a fairview play dives on it, a harpeth player dives on top of him and knocks the ball loose, then lays on top of the fairview holding him down as the ball rolls out of bounds. the refs explanation was no one had control of the ball so no foul was called even though the ref admitted that the harpeth play was holding the fairview down on the court.

and not to sound one sided here, the refs let the fairview post players do pretty much anything they wanted. several times they jump to block shots and clearly hacked the harpeth players to death with no calls.

again, despite the horrible officiating the game came down to the final seconds. was a great game to watch, would have been even better had both teams had an equal chance at the end with their best players on the court.