Indy's future

footballin

I would like to wish Indy good luck against Ravenwood. I predict a shoot out. I hope final score 35 Indy 28 Ravenwood. Not sure if that's how it will go. Both of these teams control their own destiny. Who will want it the most? Which teams coach will rise to the occassion. What players will will their team to victory? How will be the best Alex of the night? Both quarterbacks are named Alex. Again, good luck Indy. Players must play for themselves not coaches or fans.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After losing all those seniors last year who meant so much, I think a 4-4 record is pretty decent in this region.

There was a lot of rebuilding that needed to be done. Before you get too down on things, smitty could have still been at the helm and this program would be in the pits.

It is in good hands, let the guy work on developing the team. There just wasn't a lot experience returning this year and this region is alredy tough enough without that.

Here's to Indy finishing strong!!!!!!

That is a point well made. It could have been a lot worse with him there.

still would be nice to rain on brentwood and beat the bruins -

again didnt see the game but noted RWOOD had bout 300 yds rushing and ran ball 26 straight times. . . . Rector is well versed and although rain played a big key he had great game plan on offense and even better job on the defense- spoke to one of RHS assistants and he told me that the naked backfield that Indy had really plays into the RHS strength and really takes alot of what INDY could do on offense...

Indy will challenge next year, but does anyone know if they can find a tailback that can help offset the offense?

still would be nice to rain on brentwood and beat the bruins -

again didnt see the game but noted RWOOD had bout 300 yds rushing and ran ball 26 straight times. . . . Rector is well versed and although rain played a big key he had great game plan on offense and even better job on the defense- spoke to one of RHS assistants and he told me that the naked backfield that Indy had really plays into the RHS strength and really takes alot of what INDY could do on offense...

Indy will challenge next year, but does anyone know if they can find a tailback that can help offset the offense?

I still think, and now more than ever, that the RB they were missing is/was Heckman. He still could have taken direct snaps and thrown the ball around. But his primary role would have been to be the RB.

Wish they would give Meeker more reps at running back. They also have B. Steyer, J. Ryan and C. Alessi that they can develop into great running backs. Just not sure what direction they will go.

Heckman and Meeker made for a great team during their freshman year. With Heckman's versitility and Meeker's hard hitting approach, that Freshman team was virtually unstoppable. This can be replicated but Meeker has to be on the field. You need flash and dash but sometimes that's not enough. You have to hit someone in mouth every now and then.

Heckman and Meeker made for a great team during their freshman year. With Heckman's versitility and Meeker's hard hitting approach, that Freshman team was virtually unstoppable. This can be replicated but Meeker has to be on the field. You need flash and dash but sometimes that's not enough. You have to hit someone in mouth every now and then.

okay swith sleepers favorite backup qb graduating this year , we wont have the heckman at qb debate so i ask how will they look next year overall- do they have anyone at frosh level =

i think on offense they were fine considering a new line,no running back and darn good coaches nowing the fact that indy was one dimensional-and lets face all coaches in the region could scheme very well knowing this.....my question is will defense improve look at time of possesion,and rush total yds game they gave up

Freshman level - I have heard that A. Thompson is a great quarterback and maybe a Fetler or Fetter kid or something like that.

Sophomores - D. Kelley, who is already starting varsity, C. Leake who has had a lot of varsity play this year and who has had some big games playing wide receiver in JV. B. Steyer, J Obusui - playing some defense on varsity, and Jay R. are all incredible players who should bring this team along in the coming years

Juniors - Turnbull, Hckman, Box, meeker, bailey, Burge, and maybe Boatman should come back better next year

I think the guys can eventually take the Eagles back to a championship, but we have got to improve the play calling. We are definitely too easy to figure out and from the looks of last nights game, we lack passion. From the minute the game started, I didn't think the Eubanks even looked like he cared. If time was spent developing young men into football players instead of writing this season off, we might have some successful sesaons in the future. We played seniors last night who have lost the desire to even try. We are playing Sheppard hurt and it cost us 2 touchdowns. I am all about giving seniors time to play, but you don't build a successful program that way. There is talent on the sideline that needs to be used and developed. Shame on the coaches for not taking advantage of that last night.

Seen thompson play,kid does have talent.one thing the d needs some help,look at yds per game they gave up on the ground, and the plus 40 yd runs they surrenderd.very shocked @ score last nite-did they lay down or just overmatced.I tell you coach crawford had 2 weeks to prepare for the game, plenty of times to see the sets iformations and that indy can't run and or has no runningback.one dimmensional,its amazing hecman hasn't been knocked out silly.I believe indy will be back but remember new region next year

Defense definitely needs some work. They only block for a second and then think their job is over. Special teams is killing us. I am not even sure our special teams guys know what their job is on the field. They need to be coached more in that area. FUNDAMENTALS!!! Punter????? Surely with all the guys on the sideline, we can find another punter besides our quarterback... Hot and cold wide-recievers.....can we not take them out when they are having a bad game and give someone else a shot????? I know there is unused talent on that sideline that could have helped us out this season. and...in my opionion, when a player gets called for unsportsman-like conduct on the field, they should be yanked for a series or two. Not acceptable coaching in my opinion. Uncalled for penalties have killed us this year!

I don't think that our team went in to that game even thinking they could win. I think they all, including coaches, just laid down. I blame that on the coaches. They need to learn to pump the players up. That is not a Eubanks strongpoint. Have you ever seen him pump up the team? If the coaches and seniors want to give up, that is one thing, but there are kids on that sideline who have a desire to play and want to try to win. Give them a shot! I heard parents in the stands start yelling at the coahces to put someone in who wants to play. It was obvious that many on the field just gave up early on. Let those younger guys, who want to prove themselves, have a chance. There are many parents who are beginning to vent their frustrations over things they have seen and been dealing with all season. It will be interesting to see what changes the off-season brings.

Heckman has had a rough season, not totally his fault, but he looks like he thinks he has to take it all on himself, which makes him make major mistakes. He threw several interceptions in the game and was eventually pulled (too late) and replace with Smith kid. Smith actually seemed calmer and more in control than Heckman ever did in that game. Smith did eventually throw and interception near the end of the game, but overall looked very good. I am not one to get into the quarterback arguments on Coach T, but Smith looked more in control and less rattled against Brentwood.

Now, I consider myself a supporter of the program, the team and the coaches. I am not out to see heads roll like some are, but if some coaching changes aren't made and some play calling and teaching aren't better in the future, then Eubanks may face some challenges.

Ok just looked at game -heckman does have to do it all.the o line is very poor, recievers decent but grade poor due to lack of run game hence no play action. Heckman has no running game so yeah safe to say he does have to do it all spoke to rhs coach few days back he said indy easier team to prepare for as one dimmensionaln.take last year had decent line recievers and moe importantly runnin game. Sorry you pick for qb didn't face the blitz packages ,schemes many 2nd team players in and again brentwood way ahead giving up shortpass to keep play in front

FACTS) Heckman is a good quarterback. Heckman is arguably the "best" player at his position in the region (Nichols, Williams, Krow, and Scales). Heckman is also only a Junior. BUT... neither IHS or Heckman have looked anything near impressive this year.

QUESTIONS) How does IHS go from "state powerhouse" to "homecoming doormat"? How does one of the most promising young QBs in the region look absolutely horrendous this year? I know Alex Heckman lost a lot of weapons, but is that the sole reason for his poor performance this year, and why has his performance undergone such a drastic change since last year?

OBSERVATIONS & ANSWERS (which raise more & more questions)) I know IHS graduated a ton of starters last year, but every High school graduates seniors (who are starters) every single year. The only difference is "solid programs" find ways to survive and thrive every year throughout these losses. Obviously Coach Eubanks has not established a "solid program" at IHS, because he has not been able to weather the changes. He has taken a State "runner-up" all the way down to a 3-4 win team, is that a coach worth standing behind? Who's team was it last year? Was that team the result of Smith's work or Eubanks inheritance? Either way the fact of the matter is that Coach Eubanks has not been able to nurture and surround young Heckman with the proper system to be able to succeed (or the entire Independence Eagles team for that matter). But Eubanks has managed to make his team the "laughing stock" (or I guess you could call them the "new Centennial") of the region, and to allow one of his only rays of hope for the future to get abused and hurt all season.

If 3-7 and crippled stars is what you "INDY supporters" want...I guess Eubanks is the man for the job.

(have fun taking a few months off next after next week...the other "solid programs" in the region have work to do)

FACTS) Heckman is a good quarterback. Heckman is arguably the "best" player at his position in the region (Nichols, Williams, Krow, and Scales). Heckman is also only a Junior. BUT... neither IHS or Heckman have looked anything near impressive this year.

QUESTIONS) How does IHS go from "state powerhouse" to "homecoming doormat"? How does one of the most promising young QBs in the region look absolutely horrendous this year? I know Alex Heckman lost a lot of weapons, but is that the sole reason for his poor performance this year, and why has his performance undergone such a drastic change since last year?

OBSERVATIONS & ANSWERS (which raise more & more questions)) I know IHS graduated a ton of starters last year, but every High school graduates seniors (who are starters) every single year. The only difference is "solid programs" find ways to survive and thrive every year throughout these losses. Obviously Coach Eubanks has not established a "solid program" at IHS, because he has not been able to weather the changes. He has taken a State "runner-up" all the way down to a 3-4 win team, is that a coach worth standing behind? Who's team was it last year? Was that team the result of Smith's work or Eubanks inheritance? Either way the fact of the matter is that Coach Eubanks has not been able to nurture and surround young Heckman with the proper system to be able to succeed (or the entire Independence Eagles team for that matter). But Eubanks has managed to make his team the "laughing stock" (or I guess you could call them the "new Centennial") of the region, and to allow one of his only rays of hope for the future to get abused and hurt all season.

If 3-7 and crippled stars is what you "INDY supporters" want...I guess Eubanks is the man for the job.

(have fun taking a few months off next after next week...the other "solid programs" in the region have work to do)

Re read my post about heckman as stated if you don't have a runnin back( trust me rhs and franklin coach) told me that without runnin game indy is too easy to prepare for hence yoy see subpar stats for heckman, don't care if payyon manning or sony gray back there without a running game your dead meat stat wise these coaches are too good in region to know how to stop a one dimmensional team. Now as for you saying state runner up to doormat coach eubanks fault but om other poists you praise rhs rector as the best seems like his state runner up team last year didn't make playoffs.smyrna this year only thing savin them is a very poor region with exception of oakland and I'm not sold on them.

Thus is high school ball all teams have up and down cycles,unless you recruiut ie ensworth BA or open zomes like maryville,alcoa. Franlin 4 years ago was a doormat before that brentwood.

Indy is not even in its 8th year of foot ball.

Fact you are hiding the truth u r disgruntled dad with few screenmaes here think we all know whom

Well I haven't posted on here in quite some time mainly because of being to busy and teid up in other things. I have seen Indy play 2-3 times this year and here is my take. First the coaching, I think Eubanks is a descent coach but the others on his staff are subpar at best. Everytime you see one of the coaches and talk football all they can talk about is last years state championship game. I really believe that this group of seniors have been done an injustice because they haven't been given the same guidance as the seniors from last year. Lets look at last year. I made a statement last year that everyone jumped on me and bashed me for. I said that last years group was still Scott Smith's team and Eubanks real challenge would come this year. Weeeelllllll one year later and??? I am no way a Smith supporter mind you I can't stand the guy but he did build and mold that team. As for going to the title game lets take a look. 1) The region was way down last year. 2) The region they play in the first 3 rounds is garbage. 3) The best safety in the league last year let a pass slip through his hands and fall right into the hands of a Indy player on the ground. 4) Millington was up 21-0 and let Indy come back. No team worth any thing should ever let that happen. 5) We saw in the championship game that they didn't deserve to be there. Now coaches those are the facts and yes you got there but move on. I still question whether Eubanks and this staff can mold and develop team chemistry and the athletes it takes to win consistently. It is easy to win with seasoned 4 year starters but building from that success is much tougher

Now to this year's talent. Indy has a ton of speed probably more than anyone else in the region. it just hasn't showed on the field. The way Indy has thrown the ball you can easily make a run game. They have good size up front and good speed in the back field. So maybe just maybe it could be coaching or even the run system. Do they run the zone or is it more man or option? I think Eubanks is a good coach maybe not ready for 5A football at this point in his career but none the less he was hired and now we need to get behind him. That starts with him getting top notch coaches for the program. He is the guy the communikty wanted and now the community is turning like a bunch of wolves. If I am not mistaken he threw the ball all over the field at Heritage so the "community" knew what they were getting. Maybe he just doesn't understand the run game the way he needs to and needs to bring in someone that understands it a little better. (that would take swallowing some pride but just a thought)