JCS vs. USJ

Starkiller

This week, Jackson Christian and University School of Jackson square off at Ronnie Fowler Field. USJ's Jake Overby

and Jackson Christian's Cody Jones will meet under the lights Friday. Can USJ pass their way to victory? What running game will we see from them? Can Cody Jones lead the Eagles in the air and on the ground? This will surely be a feat. What are your thoughts on these two teams? Who will be victorious this year in the old rivalry?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been several years since a regular season game between these two foes has ment so much.

For all practical purposes, USJ is already in the playoffs with at least a wild card. Six wins got you in last season. A USJ win over JCS would solidify their position as the current number two seed and pretty much assure them an automatic qualifying bid to the show. After Friday, their remaining games are with Gibson County and at Trenton.

JCS faces a must win game if they want a realistic playoff spot. A win keeps them alive for an automatic bid. It also helps to solidify their position for a wild card bid, should they have to go that route. If JCS wins out during the rest of the season, they should have enough wins to gain a wild card birth and with some help, they could get an automatic bid. There is still a possibility for a three way tie for second at the end of the season. I am not sure of how a tie breaker would go though. After Friday, JCS plays at Trenton and closes the season versus Dresden at home.

For JCS, I strongly feel that if they win 6, then they are in. If they go 5-5, they would probably have to rely on a state wide tie breaker. Last season, the wild card teams won 7 games (JCS), two got in with 6 wins and the final two spots were filled with 5 win teams using a very complicated tie breaker formula.

It's been a few years since this regular season game has ment so much. This game will be huge!

For JCS, it all depends on RB Will Johnson. Sure Cody Jones has to be smart and make good, quick decisions, but if the Eagles feed Johnson the ball and he can stay healthy, I expect big stuff out of him. For USJ, Overby is a stud, leaps and bounds ahead of Hardegree if you ask me. His air attack will be very hard to stop.

In the end USJ - 35

JCS - 38

Its gonna be a barnburner...

This should be a wild game with the offenses that these two teams play. The final score could be in the 40's for both teams. If both QB's stay healthy, then I'm gonna say that the final score will be.....

Bruins......45

Eagles.....42

I expect it to be a high scoring affair too... Another Oklahoma State-Missouri matchup... But it could end up like that game and surprise us all... The Oklahoma State-Missouri game was supposed to be in the 40's... maybe even 50's... It ended up being 28-23... Sometimes two high-powered offenses neutralize each other and you end up with a surprisingly low score... To most teams 28-23 is not low-scoring... But it was by far the lowest scoring game for the two of them... Oklahoma State came in averaging 52.6 a game and giving up 23 while Missouri was averaging 53.4 and giving up 25... A recipe for at least a 45-42 game...

Bottom line, and not to be cliche, about it but this game will come down to who makes the least mistakes... Right now that edge would have to go to USJ... JCS should be a one loss team too... Unfortunately they have made their biggest mistakes in big games and situations... Two fumbles inside their own 20 against Westview and an interception in the redzone---also a punt return for a touchdown... Two kickoff returns for touchdowns against Milan... They are without a doubt the most talented 3-4 team in the state in their classification... With their backs against the wall---and the rivalry added it makes for a great game!!! Go Eagles!!!

A couple of years ago everyone thought the USJ/JCS game would be a "barnbunner," and USJ ended up winning 6-0 in OT after four scoreless quarters LOL. Dunno what the scoring will be like, but I imagine this will be a classic.

That game was actually during the 2004 regular season.

I agree that this will be THE game in West Tennessee this week.

USJ threw for over 400 yards against Milan and JCS throw for right at 400 yards against the same d.. now to my point thats 800 yards at the least not gettin serious with those stats but the point is these offenses meet friday night for a shootout!! this game will be a very high scoring game and im gonna say JCS by 3 in one maybe two overtimes!!