Week 8 Big Games in Memphis

kwc

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the East/Kingsbury game. If East wins and Fairley wins, then East is in driver's seat (East 3-0 beat Fairely 2-1). East would have to beat Melrose though. A loss will create a 3 way tie.

eastMustang you never gave me your picks of the games I mentioned. It's obvious that you are rolling with East to win ... but what about the other games?

Based on ECS's schedule, i would say they would lose the rest of their games. They have played absolutely no one. Its almost embarrasing, i dont know why their coach would want to have that kind of schedule then have 3 difficult games at the end of the year. CBHS has had a hard enough schedule to where they should take care of ECS pretty easily since this will be ECS's first real game of the season.

footballace1 ... you never gave us your picks on the other games either. Who do you think wins the other games I mentioned at the beginning of this thread?

OK ... you are picking ECS ... what about the other games I mentioned at the beginning of this thread? Who do you like in those games?

Ok,

Melrose vs. Fairley, I like Melrose

Kingsbury vs. East, I like East

Mus vs. Briarcrest, my brain says go with MUS, but something tells me Briarcrest may surprise them. I'm on the fence with this one.

Ridgeway vs. Craigmont, I like Craigmont

Houston vs. Germantown, I like Houston, I believe it's time for them to rebound from 2 straight losses.

Whitehaven vs. Kirby, I like Whitehaven. Kirby has improved but Whitehaven is too strong.

Ok,

Melrose vs. Fairley, I like Melrose

Kingsbury vs. East, I like East

Mus vs. Briarcrest, my brain says go with MUS, but something tells me Briarcrest may surprise them. I'm on the fence with this one.

Ridgeway vs. Craigmont, I like Craigmont

Houston vs. Germantown, I like Houston, I believe it's time for them to rebound from 2 straight losses.

Whitehaven vs. Kirby, I like Whitehaven. Kirby has improved but Whitehaven is too strong.

Hmmmmmmmm .... veeeeeery interesting ... Briarcrest to upset the applecart at MUS? So ... you are just going to ignore what the ole brain says huh? LOL ... that's usually when I get into trouble!

You think Houston has what it takes to stop Sir what's his name and the Germatown machine ... well, if Houston is going to make it to post season play ... now is the time to step up to the plate!

Hmmmmmmmm .... veeeeeery interesting ... Briarcrest to upset the applecart at MUS? So ... you are just going to ignore what the ole brain says huh? LOL ... that's usually when I get into trouble!

You think Houston has what it takes to stop Sir what's his name and the Germatown machine ... well, if Houston is going to make it to post season play ... now is the time to step up to the plate!

I hear ya on the brain thing, lol, me too. Yeah, I think Houston will step up, you're right, it's do or die time for 'em.

Ok,

Melrose vs. Fairley, I like Melrose missed that one.

Kingsbury vs. East, I like East got that one

Mus vs. Briarcrest, my brain says go with MUS, but something tells me Briarcrest may surprise them. I'm on the fence with this one. wow is all I can say. Briarcrest QB went down with a separated shoulder early, not sure if it would have mattered though.

Ridgeway vs. Craigmont, I like Craigmont missed that one.

Houston vs. Germantown, I like Houston, I believe it's time for them to rebound from 2 straight losses. got that one.

got that one.

Also missed ECS vs. CBHS. It was a tough fought game. We didn't have any offense the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Plus they exploited our weak pass defense. Ended up being the difference, final 10-3.

I was quite surprised to hear that Fairley beat Melrose, but at the same time I wasn't. Melrose is always good. Theyve got some great athletes over there. But I knew Fairley was a good team after having a scrimmage against them earlier this year. Good job Bulldogs. As for Craigmont.......###### poor effort. This team came into this game thinking that all they had to do was show up and they would win. They were proven wrong. The defense looked worse than I have seen them all year. Only a couple players showed up to play and we all know it takes 11 players on each side to win. The offense was unable to move the ball effectively against a tough Ridgeway defense. But it is hard to sustain any offensive drive when the other team is bringing 7-8 players every play and your O-line doesn't pick them up properly. Kudos to Ridgeway for bringing the heat and pulling this one out in OT.

What makes you think that the Melrose/Fairley game will be sloppily played? I think it will be emotional and heavily contested. I think that both defenses will be come to play. I think it will be a close game. But ... I don't get the impression that it will be sloppy.

It has been my experience that when two good teams play against each other people will say that the game is ugly ... or sloppy or some other adjetive that gives the impression that the game wasn't played well. Well ... teams with good defenses make games LOOK ugly. Both of these teams have good defenses ... it's going to be a battle. Sloppy? Well ... if guys flying around laying their helmets on folks make a game sloppy ... so be it. I absolutely LOVE those types of games. Good competition against good competition. Sloppy isn't the word that I would use. Slobbernocker comes to mind. Slugfest. War. Battle in the trenches. To me ... sloppy just gives the wrong impression.

Fairley fought back from 12-0 and 18-13 deficits, to nip Melrose @ the wire -- 19 to 18.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a highly charged, hard fought, exciting, but somewhat sloppy game -- lots of penalties & a bench-clearing brawl!

Emotions were in overdrive the entire game. Tempers hit the breaking point, just before half-time, following Fairley's late-out-of-bounds hit upon Melrose's QB Toney....on Melrose's sideline!

Melrose's sideline players took great exception to the "dirty" hit, on Toney! They all bum-rushed the Fairley player (I couldn't see if anybody actually started swinging and fighting, ets). Then, of course, all the Fairley players left the playing field to go to the defense of their fellow commrad. The Melrose on-field players did likewise.

Amazingly, I don't think ANY Fairley players left their sideline to go across the field to join in the meley! Their Coaching staff did a great job restraining those players and maintaining order.

Mphs City School Security officers, Police officers, Refrees, Principals......EVERYBODY who was "somebody" sprinted across the field to try and break up all the mayhem! They eventually restored order.

There were no ejections. There were off-setting "unsportsmanlike" penalties but, AMAZINGLY, no penalty against Fairley for the grossly late-hit-out-of-bounds!

Approximately 15-minutes later, after all the dust settled, both teams were sent to opposite ends of the end zones....This turned out to be a 10-minute "cooling off" period. After that, both teams returned to the field to finish the last 1:40 seconds of the 2nd QTR (all except Melrose's QB Toney. He apparently sustained a minor injury, from the late-hit).

All the while, the adrenalin-laden Fairley's fans loudly booed the Melrose players. The Melrose fans were equally juiced up. They responded by booing the Fairley players!

This whole fiasco delayed the game for about 30-minutes. Then, they STILL held a (longer-than-normal) half-time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toney came back in the 2nd-half....

After Fairley fell behind 18-13, with just over 6 minutes remaining, they mounted an impressive game-winning 70+ yard drive. The QB was the catalyst, as he consistently beat Melrose with his arm and feet.

Melrose's offense was left with approximately 1:30 seconds (& 1 timeout) in which to go appx 70 yards, and claim victory....

After moving to mid-field, Melrose then promptly shot itself in the foot with a series of penalties. They found themselves back on their own 30-yard line, with about 40 or so seconds remaining...

Facing a 3rd down and 10 or 15, Melrose's QB Toney dropped back & got flushed out to the right. He threw an absolute laser of a pass down to a wide open receiver, at Fairley's 15-yard line! He caught the ball and ran it into the endzone, for the APPARENT game-winning touchdown!

Melrose got flagged for, what else...holding AND unsportsmanlike conduct! Touchdown called back, plus another 20-25-yards in penalties!

After another incomplete pass, Fairley took over on downs...Game over. Fairley wins.... They FINALLY got over the "Melrose" mental block.

No postgame incidents.....at least, none that I saw.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Both teams' passing games were lethal (no stats, just memory):

1) Melrose's Toney had 3 TD passes, no INTs and probably about 300+ yards passing! Poor running game.

2) Fairley had abouot 2 TD passes, I think. No INT's. Probably around 200 yards passing.

3) Fairley's running game was not great either, except for the (many) highly effective QB scrambles.