Week 8 Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Questions, Kwc:

1) Did you happen to notice the technique of Kirby's linemen?

2) If so, what were your observations?

3) How do you rate Kirby's chances of "running the table, " & grabbing that 4th playoff spot in Region 8?

1) I noticed how the bookend tackles blocked during passing situations ... and they were pretty good at it because of their athletic ability ... the Kirby QB was still under duress though. Other then that ... I didn't pay attention.

2) Answered in reply to your first queary.

3) They have a chance. They play Houston then Collierville. They have their work cut out for them. This is the fun part of the season for 8-5A. There are 6 quality teams and only 4 playoff spots. Whitehaven, White Station, Kirby, Houston, Collierville, and Germantown. Man ... all six are good teams but two will be left out in the cold. (IF Kirby wins both games ... they could be third. IF they win ONE of the two ... they could be the 4th seed still. You gotta love this time of year, especially in 8-5A.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Escalade, you know what you know and I know what I know. I will tell you who I am because I have nothing to hide. Can you do the same? I post under my name. I am the president of the Millington Football booster club and have been their PA announcer and kept stats for the last 15 years. I call them like I see them. If Millington was bad, I would tell you and if they weren't, I would tell you that too. In regards to cam6, he was a heck of a player not only in high school but in college as well playing with Steve Matthews and Isaac Bruce at the U of M. He was also a coach as well. He has been and will continue to be successful in whatever he chooses to do. He doesn't look through colored glasses when making comments. I will give Cordova credit because I didn't think they would be 7-1 but I also know that they (just like Millington) haven't played anybody yet. Yes you did play ECS and to balance that out Millington has played Collierville. But we have both played Central, Overton, Arlington, Ridgeway and Bartlett. Ridgeway is better than what they were last year and the other 4 are pretty bad. Good luck vs Craigmont and see you Halloween night at Cordova. If you are out there, find me and introduce yourself as well as Dash. I am not hard to find. Just ask someone in a Millington shirt.

Okay, congratulations on being a PA announcer. What about your accomplishments on the field? I will assume the cam6 is Chris Michaels and he was a great player and a coach, but what about you MarkH? Have you ever coached or just sniffed jocks?

Okay, congratulations on being a PA announcer. What about your accomplishments on the field? I will assume the cam6 is Chris Michaels and he was a great player and a coach, but what about you MarkH? Have you ever coached or just sniffed jocks?

Just so you know, I played college football as well and even though I'm not from Memphis, I do know alot of the area coaches and players. I don't even have kids at Cordova, but I like what their coaches are doing. I also think there are other good teams and coaches in this area, I just don't like seeing Cordova NEVER get any credit.

I guess a prerequisite for knowing anything about football or any other sport is what you have done on the field. Well, medical problems that I have had since birth have prohibited me from playing so I guess you have me there. There have been a number of great coaches over the years in many different sports that have been nothing but bench warmers when it comes to playing. So under your way of thinking they couldn't have been great coaches, could they?

I know a lot of the area coaches and players as well. I know Coach Dowtin, Alsbrook and Pieh. I have hosted a radio show on high school sports numerous times over the last 10 years and have been recognized by the state for my contributions to high school athletics. But I guess since you played college football and you are not from Memphis that you know more about high school football in Memphis than I do. I might be willing to give you a little more credit if you didn't post behind a nickname. Anybody can get on the internet and say whatever they want to. If you believe in what your saying, why hide? Anybody that has the guts to say "this is who I am and what I believe" gets a little more credit in my book than someone who just hides behind a nickname.

I did give Cordova credit (just scroll up a little bit and you will see it). I think what Coach Dowtin and his staff have done is remarkable. They are always getting numerous players in college somewhere every single year regardless of what overall success their team has had. I think that is fantastic and more coaches should follow their example.

I guess a prerequisite for knowing anything about football or any other sport is what you have done on the field. Well, medical problems that I have had since birth have prohibited me from playing so I guess you have me there. There have been a number of great coaches over the years in many different sports that have been nothing but bench warmers when it comes to playing. So under your way of thinking they couldn't have been great coaches, could they?

I know a lot of the area coaches and players as well. I know Coach Dowtin, Alsbrook and Pieh. I have hosted a radio show on high school sports numerous times over the last 10 years and have been recognized by the state for my contributions to high school athletics. But I guess since you played college football and you are not from Memphis that you know more about high school football in Memphis than I do. I might be willing to give you a little more credit if you didn't post behind a nickname. Anybody can get on the internet and say whatever they want to. If you believe in what your saying, why hide? Anybody that has the guts to say "this is who I am and what I believe" gets a little more credit in my book than someone who just hides behind a nickname.

I did give Cordova credit (just scroll up a little bit and you will see it). I think what Coach Dowtin and his staff have done is remarkable. They are always getting numerous players in college somewhere every single year regardless of what overall success their team has had. I think that is fantastic and more coaches should follow their example.

Sorry for the comment about not playing football, I had no idea about your health issues. I apologize for anything said that might insult or anger you or anyone else on here, I just like the Cordova program and think it would nice if they, along with the rest of Region 7-5A got alittle bit of respect. I alos know some about R. Shaw and I'd like to see him get some respect as well. The kids has great grades, tremendous work ethic and is very humble young man. He deserves to recognized for his accomplishments. Everyone on here has pride in their team and I am no different. I wish Millington and the others the best and I hope we can beat them.

Sorry for the comment about not playing football, I had no idea about your health issues. I apologize for anything said that might insult or anger you or anyone else on here, I just like the Cordova program and think it would nice if they, along with the rest of Region 7-5A got alittle bit of respect. I alos know some about R. Shaw and I'd like to see him get some respect as well. The kids has great grades, tremendous work ethic and is very humble young man. He deserves to recognized for his accomplishments. Everyone on here has pride in their team and I am no different. I wish Millington and the others the best and I hope we can beat them.

escaladedriver32:

It seems that the Tenn AP voters have taken notice. The Commercial Appeal's sport section has the AP poll listed as follows:

Tennessee prep football poll from AP

Monday, October 20, 2008

CLASS 5A

1. Dobyns Bennett (11) (8-0) 189

2. Whitehaven (3) (8-0) 163

3. Millington (4) (8-0) 162

4. Ooltewah (2) (6-1) 123

5. Franklin (7-1) 113

6. Farragut (7-1) 89

7. Brentwood (7-1) 84

8. Oakland (7-1) 51

9. Cookeville (7-1) 44

10. Soddy Daisy (7-1) 22

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Gallatin 21. 12, Hunters Lane 16. 13, Cordova 12.

I do have to agree with the Millington fans this year, 7-5A is not a good region. Bolton is good year and year out and they are down. I thought Bartlett had turned the corner last year evn though they missed the playoffs but they are down. Arlington will be good in the next year or two. Craigmont and Ridgeway are decent teams at best and I think Cordova is a good team maybe not as good as Millington but we will see in a couple weeks. I still like Cordova, like their players and coaches. They are having a good year.

Ace5 , i am glad i finally found some one who would agree that 7-5A is down this year, There has been some good teams over the past years between millington Cordova Ridgeway and Bolton but never as good from top to bottom as 8-5A. Cordova is having a good year and i think come playoff time they could advance to the second round as well as Millington but it would ashame to have no or only one team make it to the second round. To bad probably will not know until after week 10 what the playoff matchups will be.

Just so you know, I played college football as well and even though I'm not from Memphis, I do know alot of the area coaches and players. I don't even have kids at Cordova, but I like what their coaches are doing. I also think there are other good teams and coaches in this area, I just don't like seeing Cordova NEVER get any credit.

escaladedriver, i think you are wrong about cordova getting credit in some ways. This message board is fun for fans and outside of your fellow fans there will be little respect given to any school just read through the post. Memphis city schools get a lot of press and coverage and it is usually not cordova probably because they are still kinda viewed as a county school and the news and papers keep the credit inside the city with regular names. In the county it is usually Houston Gtown and Collierville, believe me being from millington the feeling is mutual but it really doesn't matter because high school has playoffs and we all get our chance. On the inside circles (coaches) there has always been respect for cordova from when Coach Morris, and Coach Wiley and now with coach Dowtin and his guys. they have a young quality group that does a good job and always has. Don't take the things said on this site to seriously just have fun with it and take it for what it is.