Week 8 Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Rubber ... meet Road; Road ... meet Rubber. It's that time of the season in high school football in Tennessee, especially in Memphis and the surrounding area. Crucial, seed determining games will be played in the next few weeks. I have seven games that I think are big in the Memphis area.

Melrose (8-4A) vs Fairley (8-4A): @ JPF

Melrose is currently 6-2 with losses to MUS and Whitehaven; Fairley is 6-2 with losses to Memphis East and Whitehaven. The common opponent being Whitehaven where Melrose loss 13-7 and Fairley loss 20-14 in OT. Both games were nail bitters and very physical. Both Melrose and Fairley have potent offenses and good defenses. I just think Melrose's defense is a tad bit better then Fairley's ... but not by a large margin. Both teams have balanced offenses. Either team can win this game and Fairley is playing at home. If Fairley wins then there could possibly be a 3-way tie in 8-4A with the Melrose/East game remaining to determine who gets what seed. If Melrose wins then more then likely the last regular season game between Melrose and East will determine who gets the number one seed. This is a HUGE game for both teams.

Pick: Melrose

Kingsbury (8-4A) vs Memphis East (8-4A): @ Fairgrounds

Kingsbury (3-4) can possibly get a higher playoff seed if they can defeat Memphis East (6-2). Memphis East has lost to White Station and Maplewood. Kingsbury has lost to Germantown, MUS, Melrose, and Fairley. East has put together an impressive season but if they look past Kingsbury they could lose. Gabriel Hunter has returned but it didn't help Kingsbury in their game against Germantown last week. I don't think his return will be the difference this game either.

Pick: East

MUS (D2-2A West) vs Briarcrest (D2-2A West): @ MUS

Briarcrest (6-2) has put together an impressive resume' this year compared to last year. Coach White has them playing very well. Their two losses came by the hands of USJ and BGA. Both losses where by wide margins. MUS is 7-0 and they have competed well in every game. Briarcrest has improved, but not enough to win @ MUS this season.

Pick: MUS

CBHS (D2-2A West) vs ECS (D2-2A West): @ CBHS

CBHS is 5-3 with losses to MUS, Briarcrest, and Mitchell. ECS is 7-0. Glancing at the records would lead one to pick ECS ... but taking a closer look at ECS' schedule reveals that they have a softer schedule then CBHS. The ECS victory over Cordova is looking a lot more impressive, but that is the only victory ECS can really hang their hat on. Beating a 4-3 CPA team is their only other victory worth mentioning ... and THAT win is just not that impressive. ECS still has to play CBHS, Briarcrest, and MUS. That will indicate how good ECS really is. CBHS, on the otherhand has been through the wars. They are battle tested and they have their back up against the wall. This is a must win game for both schools.

Pick: CBHS

Ridgeway (7-5A) vs Craigmont (7-5A): @ Raleigh Egypt

Ridgeway, 5-3, has losses to CBHS (31-7), Cordova (24-0), and Miliington (28-19). I listened to portions of the Ridgeway/Millington game on the radio on FM 88.5 and that game was a whole lot closer then the score indicates. Craigmont, 5-2, has losses to Millington (17-12) and CBHS (21-7). Craigmont and Ridgeway also have other common opponents in Bolton, Arlington and Memphis Central in which they both won those games. This game is for seeding purposes. If Craigmont wins ... then their game against Cordova next week 'could potentially' determine who the number 2 seed will be (Cordova and Millington still have to play). If Craigmont loses, then their game next week against Cordova 'could potentially help to determine' if they are a 3 seed or a 4 seed. If Ridgeway wins this game, they will more then likely be a 3 seed. If they lose then they will probably be the 4th seed. Craigmont played CBHS and Millington tougher then Ridgeway played those two teams. The game is being played at RE which gives an advantage to Craigmont.

Pick: Craigmont

Houston (8-5A) vs Germantown (8-5A): @ Houston

Houston, 5-2, started the season 5-0. Then they loss their next two games to Collierville (24-0) and then Whitehaven (19-6). Their fast start was misleading because their oppenents prior to the Collierville game was a combined 3-21, or something like that. Houston still has to face Germantown, White Station, and Kirby ... all very good teams. Germantown, 6-1, has it's one loss to region foe White Station. They also have region wins over Collierville (20-10) and Kirby (21-16). This is a crucial game for both teams. If Houston loses this game, they will be eliminated from the playoffs if they follow with a loss to either White Station or Kirby. Kirby use to be a 'gimme' game ... not anymore. Houston's back is up against the wall. The game is at Houston so that gives them a slight advantage but not much. These schools are both in the city limits of Germantown which means most of these players know each other and grew up around each other; playing pee-wee football against each other in years past. This is going to be a battle of intense proportions. I think Germantown's tough schedule pays divedends in this game. Houston hasn't won a tough game against a good team. Time is running out for them.

Pick: Germantown

Whitehaven (8-5A) vs Kirby (8-5A): @ Kirby (Homecoming)

Whitehaven, 7-0, has an impressive resume'. Not only are they undefeated, but the only cupcake they have played to date is Hamilton. Every other team they have faced is a good quality team that will have a chance to play in the post season. Kirby, 5-2, started the season 5-0, which was a surprise from last season where they were 1-9. They have lost their last two games to White Station (42-6) and Germantown (21-16). The loss to White Station should be looked at with a grain of salt because the head coach for Kirby benched five of his starters because they broke team rules and Kirby took their lumps that game. The 21-16 loss to a 6-1 Germantown team is a better indication of how good Kirby has become. This game is being played at Kirby, so they have a small advantage there but not much because the Whitehaven contingent will travel with their team basically negating whatever home team advantage Kirby would have. This is Kirby's homecoming game and I think that will give the Whitehaven players some added motivation and focus; like they need any added incentive. Also, homecoming can be a distraction to the players living through that week of school. Kirby has a good defense. White Station was an exception to the rule. Germantown and Haywood put 21 points on them and Hamilton put 14 on them; they held Raleigh Egypt, Wooddale, and Fayette Ware to one TD. Kirby is playing to make it to the post season. Whitehaven is playing for being the number one seed. Kirby is a dangerous team. Whitehaven has one of the best defenses around and a very solid running game. Kirby is good, but I don't think they are good enough just yet.

Pick: Whitehaven

That's it for me. Jump on in ... the water is fine. Tell me what you think.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all these except Kingsbury and ECS. I think Kingsbury can run all over East. I saw East in a scrimmage and they were vulnerable against the run. They may have improved since then, but I like Kingsbury in this game. I also think ECS will handle CBHS. Christian Brothers is not that great of a team this year. Their offense can be held in check pretty well. I think ECS pulls out a W in this one. Great analysis though. I like reading about football in this area every week in your posts.

Good read. I'll be paying close attention to the Fairley/Melrose game as well as the Kingsbury/East game as it looks like these shall be the 4 8-4A playoff teams.

One question - IF Fairley pulled it out against Melrose, then I presume they'd be in the drivers seat for the first seed. Am I correct in that logic?

Rubber ... meet Road; Road ... meet Rubber. It's that time of the season in high school football in Tennessee, especially in Memphis and the surrounding area. Crucial, seed determining games will be played in the next few weeks. I have seven games that I think are big in the Memphis area.

Melrose is currently 6-2 with losses to MUS and Whitehaven; Fairley is 6-2 with losses to Memphis East and Whitehaven. The common opponent being Whitehaven where Melrose loss 13-7 and Fairley loss 20-14 in OT. Both games were nail bitters and very physical. Both Melrose and Fairley have potent offenses and good defenses. I just think Melrose's defense is a tad bit better then Fairley's ... but not by a large margin. Both teams have balanced offenses. Either team can win this game and Fairley is playing at home. If Fairley wins then there could possibly be a 3-way tie in 8-4A with the Melrose/East game remaining to determine who gets what seed. If Melrose wins then more then likely the last regular season game between Melrose and East will determine who gets the number one seed. This is a HUGE game for both teams.

Kingsbury (3-4) can possibly get a higher playoff seed if they can defeat Memphis East (6-2). Memphis East has lost to White Station and Maplewood. Kingsbury has lost to Germantown, MUS, Melrose, and Fairley. East has put together an impressive season but if they look past Kingsbury they could lose. Gabriel Hunter has returned but it didn't help Kingsbury in their game against Germantown last week. I don't think his return will be the difference this game either.

Briarcrest (6-2) has put together an impressive resume' this year compared to last year. Coach White has them playing very well. Their two losses came by the hands of USJ and BGA. Both losses where by wide margins. MUS is 7-0 and they have competed well in every game. Briarcrest has improved, but not enough to win @ MUS this season.

CBHS is 5-3 with losses to MUS, Briarcrest, and Mitchell. ECS is 7-0. Glancing at the records would lead one to pick ECS ... but taking a closer look at ECS' schedule reveals that they have a softer schedule then CBHS. The ECS victory over Cordova is looking a lot more impressive, but that is the only victory ECS can really hang their hat on. Beating a 4-3 CPA team is their only other victory worth mentioning ... and THAT win is just not that impressive. ECS still has to play CBHS, Briarcrest, and MUS. That will indicate how good ECS really is. CBHS, on the otherhand has been through the wars. They are battle tested and they have their back up against the wall. This is a must win game for both schools.

Ridgeway, 5-3, has losses to CBHS (31-7), Cordova (24-0), and Miliington (28-19). I listened to portions of the Ridgeway/Millington game on the radio on FM 88.5 and that game was a whole lot closer then the score indicates. Craigmont, 5-2, has losses to Millington (17-12) and CBHS (21-7). Craigmont and Ridgeway also have other common opponents in Bolton, Arlington and Memphis Central in which they both won those games. This game is for seeding purposes. If Craigmont wins ... then their game against Cordova next week 'could potentially' determine who the number 2 seed will be (Cordova and Millington still have to play). If Craigmont loses, then their game next week against Cordova 'could potentially help to determine' if they are a 3 seed or a 4 seed. If Ridgeway wins this game, they will more then likely be a 3 seed. If they lose then they will probably be the 4th seed. Craigmont played CBHS and Millington tougher then Ridgeway played those two teams. The game is being played at RE which gives an advantage to Craigmont.

Houston, 5-2, started the season 5-0. Then they loss their next two games to Collierville (24-0) and then Whitehaven (19-6). Their fast start was misleading because their oppenents prior to the Collierville game was a combined 3-21, or something like that. Houston still has to face Germantown, White Station, and Kirby ... all very good teams. Germantown, 6-1, has it's one loss to region foe White Station. They also have region wins over Collierville (20-10) and Kirby (21-16). This is a crucial game for both teams. If Houston loses this game, they will be eliminated from the playoffs if they follow with a loss to either White Station or Kirby. Kirby use to be a 'gimme' game ... not anymore. Houston's back is up against the wall. The game is at Houston so that gives them a slight advantage but not much. These schools are both in the city limits of Germantown which means most of these players know each other and grew up around each other; playing pee-wee football against each other in years past. This is going to be a battle of intense proportions. I think Germantown's tough schedule pays divedends in this game. Houston hasn't won a tough game against a good team. Time is running out for them.

Whitehaven, 7-0, has an impressive resume'. Not only are they undefeated, but the only cupcake they have played to date is Hamilton. Every other team they have faced is a good quality team that will have a chance to play in the post season. Kirby, 5-2, started the season 5-0, which was a surprise from last season where they were 1-9. They have lost their last two games to White Station (42-6) and Germantown (21-16). The loss to White Station should be looked at with a grain of salt because the head coach for Kirby benched five of his starters because they broke team rules and Kirby took their lumps that game. The 21-16 loss to a 6-1 Germantown team is a better indication of how good Kirby has become. This game is being played at Kirby, so they have a small advantage there but not much because the Whitehaven contingent will travel with their team basically negating whatever home team advantage Kirby would have. This is Kirby's homecoming game and I think that will give the Whitehaven players some added motivation and focus; like they need any added incentive. Also, homecoming can be a distraction to the players living through that week of school. Kirby has a good defense. White Station was an exception to the rule. Germantown and Haywood put 21 points on them and Hamilton put 14 on them; they held Raleigh Egypt, Wooddale, and Fayette Ware to one TD. Kirby is playing to make it to the post season. Whitehaven is playing for being the number one seed. Kirby is a dangerous team. Whitehaven has one of the best defenses around and a very solid running game. Kirby is good, but I don't think they are good enough just yet.

1) I agree with all except CBHS.... ECS will deafeat CBHS.

CBHS is not a very good team. I don't care what their record says.

ECS may have only 1 quality win (vs Cordova), but it is not going to take a whole lot to defeat the 'Brothers.

------------------------------------------------------------

2) I suspect that the Kingsbury/East game will be the wildest, most entertaining of all the games.

3) Melrose & Fairley will be a very sloppily played game, with Melrose coming out on top by 2 TDs.

4) Whitehaven's RB will have a huge game and lead Whitehaven to a solid 21 - 6 victory over Kirby. The final score will NOT be indicative of Whitehaven's dominance.

5) MUS will blowout Briarcrest.

Good read. I'll be paying close attention to the Fairley/Melrose game as well as the Kingsbury/East game as it looks like these shall be the 4 8-4A playoff teams.

One question - IF Fairley pulled it out against Melrose, then I presume they'd be in the drivers seat for the first seed. Am I correct in that logic?

Depends on the East/Kingsbury game. If East wins and Fairley wins, then East is in driver's seat (East 3-0 beat Fairely 2-1). East would have to beat Melrose though. A loss will create a 3 way tie.

1) I agree with all except CBHS.... ECS will deafeat CBHS.

CBHS is not a very good team. I don't care what their record says.

ECS may have only 1 quality win (vs Cordova), but it is not going to take a whole lot to defeat the 'Brothers.

------------------------------------------------------------

2) I suspect that the Kingsbury/East game will be the wildest, most entertaining of all the games.

3) Melrose & Fairley will be a very sloppily played game, with Melrose coming out on top by 2 TDs.

4) Whitehaven's RB will have a huge game and lead Whitehaven to a solid 21 - 6 victory over Kirby. The final score will NOT be indicative of Whitehaven's dominance.

5) MUS will blowout Briarcrest.

What makes you think that the Melrose/Fairley game will be sloppily played? I think it will be emotional and heavily contested. I think that both defenses will be come to play. I think it will be a close game. But ... I don't get the impression that it will be sloppy.

It has been my experience that when two good teams play against each other people will say that the game is ugly ... or sloppy or some other adjetive that gives the impression that the game wasn't played well. Well ... teams with good defenses make games LOOK ugly. Both of these teams have good defenses ... it's going to be a battle. Sloppy? Well ... if guys flying around laying their helmets on folks make a game sloppy ... so be it. I absolutely LOVE those types of games. Good competition against good competition. Sloppy isn't the word that I would use. Slobbernocker comes to mind. Slugfest. War. Battle in the trenches. To me ... sloppy just gives the wrong impression.

What makes you think that the Melrose/Fairley game will be sloppily played? I think it will be emotional and heavily contested. I think that both defenses will be come to play. I think it will be a close game. But ... I don't get the impression that it will be sloppy.

It has been my experience that when two good teams play against each other people will say that the game is ugly ... or sloppy or some other adjetive that gives the impression that the game wasn't played well. Well ... teams with good defenses make games LOOK ugly. Both of these teams have good defenses ... it's going to be a battle. Sloppy? Well ... if guys flying around laying their helmets on folks make a game sloppy ... so be it. I absolutely LOVE those types of games. Good competition against good competition. Sloppy isn't the word that I would use. Slobbernocker comes to mind. Slugfest. War. Battle in the trenches. To me ... sloppy just gives the wrong impression.

Excessive penalties.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of penalties by 2 penlty-prone teams in a highly charged, EMOTIONAL game with a lot at stake! I expect to see lots of holding & illegal blocks taking place, as each team tries extra hard to "sneak" an advantage over the other....In addition, this has been the tendency (no stats, just memory...) in prior games between these two teams.

For me, excessive penalties equate to poor, sloppy football & lack of discipline. Whereas, good defensive execution, hard hitting, etc....now, that's where we share sentiments. That tends to make for an "ugly" game! Slugfest. Slobbernocker.

I don't have a problem with "ugly" football games, not at all. As a matter of fact, I much prefer "ugly," hard-fought ball games between two closely matched teams (versus "pretty" blowouts). My problem lies with "sloppy" football ....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HOPE that this Melrose/Fairley game turns out to be "ugly," not sloppy. If that happens, then it'll be an absolute joy to watch.

Excessive penalties.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of penalties by 2 penlty-prone teams in a highly charged, EMOTIONAL game with a lot at stake! I expect to see lots of holding & illegal blocks taking place, as each team tries extra hard to "sneak" an advantage over the other....In addition, this has been the tendency (no stats, just memory...) in prior games between these two teams.

For me, excessive penalties equate to poor, sloppy football & lack of discipline. Whereas, good defensive execution, hard hitting, etc....now, that's where we share sentiments. That tends to make for an "ugly" game! Slugfest. Slobbernocker.

I don't have a problem with "ugly" football games, not at all. As a matter of fact, I much prefer "ugly," hard-fought ball games between two closely matched teams (versus "pretty" blowouts). My problem lies with "sloppy" football ....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HOPE that this Melrose/Fairley game turns out to be "ugly," not sloppy. If that happens, then it'll be an absolute joy to watch.

You know ... holding could probably be called on just about every play ... depends on who is calling the game. I agree though ... a lot of flags is usually a sign of sloppy play. But ... playing against good competition will cause more calls due to the fact ... the OL is trying to block better athletes then what they normaly face. However, the Whitehaven/Melrose game wasn't sloppy nor was the Whitehaven/Fairley game. Both teams have played good tough schedules and they are use to lining up against competative teams. I wouldn't think this game would be sloppy either.

You know ... holding could probably be called on just about every play ... depends on who is calling the game. I agree though ... a lot of flags is usually a sign of sloppy play. But ... playing against good competition will cause more calls due to the fact ... the OL is trying to block better athletes then what they normaly face. However, the Whitehaven/Melrose game wasn't sloppy nor was the Whitehaven/Fairley game. Both teams have played good tough schedules and they are use to lining up against competative teams. I wouldn't think this game would be sloppy either.

I hope you're right, Kwc.

-------------------------------------------

2 days and counting....

Picks:

Melrose

East

MUS

ECS

Craigmont

Whitehaven

Houston

Thinks the only close games will be Houston / Germantown and Craigmont / Ridegway. The rest of the games will be one sided. The other games clearly have two teams facing each other that are not evenly matched.

Picks:

Melrose

East

MUS

ECS

Craigmont

Whitehaven

Houston

Thinks the only close games will be Houston / Germantown and Craigmont / Ridegway. The rest of the games will be one sided. The other games clearly have two teams facing each other that are not evenly matched.

You don't think that Fairley/Melrose will be close nor ECS/CBHS?

WOW!

You don't think that Fairley/Melrose will be close nor ECS/CBHS?

WOW!

Just my opinion and i don't know anything about ECS but CBHS is not very good so i expect ECS based on record to be the better team. Fairley has a psychological hill to climb against melrose so i think Melrose gets in front and builds the lead.