Mcminn Central against Polk Co.

sportsman88

Was defensive speed a factor? Its not a surprise Polks offense struggled it was a matter of how good was thier defense against a good team. Lets not call kids out by name I'm sure it wasnt all on them.

I think speed is always a factor, even if it isn't used. Just the threat of Central's speed affected how Coach Davis had to prepare his defense - even in wet conditions. The mental part of this helped Central early on, as well as being tougher in the trenches throughout the game.

I had mentioned earlier in the week that Central's "gaudy" offense wasn't just razzle-dazzle. Sometimes they just line up and virtually let the defense know they're going to ram it down their throat, and challenge the defense to stop them. This was what Coach Derrick and his coaching staff planned to do last Sunday, and all week, in preparing the team. He said that Polk was considered the most physical team in the trenches and he wanted to show that he could beat them at their own game. He challenged his offensive and defensive linemen to "line up and hit them in the mouth......come off the ball and get in their face." His tactic was brilliant!

Brandon addressed the "gaudy, flashy, trick-play, showy" offense comment last night in the post-game.......saying that people didn't realize that Central could grind it out between the tackles against a team as good as Polk is defensively. I think his strategic planning showed that he had a great plan, and the weather actually played to his advantage. After Central scored their first touchdown, Brandon said he felt good about their chances....because he knew how physical his defense was.

I think Coach Davis and his staff did as well as they could in preparing their defense. Thay had to respect Central's speed, yet when the Chargers consistently moved the ball between the tackles, the Polk coaches didn't have an answer.

Not just because Central won the game, but "how" they mentally won the game is what impressed me.....both in coaching and execution. The Chargers still have some things they need to work on to be able to compete with the top teams in region 4, but this weekend they need to savor their second victory in a row over a tough region rival. Come Monday, the players will have Howard on their mind.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McMinn Central's defense held Polk Co. to 71 yards of total offense.......with 43 of those yards coming on one failed drive in the fourth quarter.

The Chargers defense overshadowed an offense that mustered 266 yards of total offense. ???People always want to talk about our offense, but I??™ve said all along that our defense would be tough,??? McMinn Central coach Brandon Derrick said. ???Tonight they played tough and read their keys. The coaching staff did a great job preparing them for the game.???

I posted previously of Centrals defense and special teams being the difference. Give your kicking team some love, making field goals in that weather, tough.

Sounds like Polk got dominated. I read all week speed wouldnt matter, my friend speed is athleticism. Why do you think the SEC recruits speed? Polk is a typical 3-3A team, slow and lacking offensive power.

I posted previously of Centrals defense and special teams being the difference. Give your kicking team some love, making field goals in that weather, tough.

Sounds like Polk got dominated. I read all week speed wouldnt matter, my friend speed is athleticism. Why do you think the SEC recruits speed? Polk is a typical 3-3A team, slow and lacking offensive power.

And to beat it all I believe it was a 43 yard field goal in the wet conditions. He made two 52 yarders in practice, and had the leg on a 57 yard attempt but missed the first one wide left and the second one wide right. And remember guys hes just a Sophmore!!

Yes you did note that about defense and special teams, and I credit you for knowing your football. Many people - including a lot of Polk fans - were lulled into thinking it was all about Central's "gaudy" offense versus Polk's pseudo-impenetrable defense.

Can you believe a 43 yard field goal in conditions like last night???!!! That was a huge play at the time!

I know the Polk folks who posted on here tried to convince everyone that Central's speed wouldn't be an issue. Anyone offering a differing opinion was labeled as a know it all and belittled for not extolling the virtues of what Coach Davis would do. As you so knowledgeably said, speed is athleticism. Coach Davis knows this (even if a majority of Polk fans don't) and he had to prepare his defense "mentally" for it. As Central's offense was consistently ripping off 4-5 yards up he gut, Coach Davis knew then his team was in big trouble.

Although the entire Central team played well, and many players are worth commenting on, in this post I want to commend Mr. Rayl for playing a very good game. His coolness and composure was evident as he managed the game and displayed excellent leadership and patience in running the offense. And his defensive play was even more impressive.

I'm not one with too much pride to admit when I'm wrong, but when he transferred to Central I wasn't one of his biggest fans for many reasons - which I won't delve into. But I was wrong about his leadership and ability to be a team player. Amidst controversy, naysayers, jealousy, and being physically attacked, this young man has just gone about the business of improving as an individual, and improving those around him, by his actions - not just words. I commend Coach Derrick for seeing something special in Zack and sticking with molding him into the leader and positive example he is becoming.

Although the entire Central team played well, and many players are worth commenting on, in this post I want to commend Mr. Rayl for playing a very good game. His coolness and composure was evident as he managed the game and displayed excellent leadership and patience in running the offense. And his defensive play was even more impressive.

I'm not one with too much pride to admit when I'm wrong, but when he transferred to Central I wasn't one of his biggest fans for many reasons - which I won't delve into. But I was wrong about his leadership and ability to be a team player. Amidst controversy, naysayers, jealousy, and being physically attacked, this young man has just gone about the business of improving as an individual, and improving those around him, by his actions - not just words. I commend Coach Derrick for seeing something special in Zack and sticking with molding him into the leader and positive example he is becoming.

Hey Crew,, Are you going to be able to pull "Mr. Rayl" into the Baseball program at Central?

He's just as good at baseball. Question is, Can you get him to play baseball at Central?

Hey Crew,, Are you going to be able to pull "Mr. Rayl" into the Baseball program at Central?

He's just as good at baseball. Question is, Can you get him to play baseball at Central?

I'm not a coach or in administartion at Central, so I can't answer that. I saw his baseball talents when he was a freshman at Meigs, as they beat a solid Central baseball team for the region championship. The young man is definitely a talented athlete, so I hope he plays. I think I heard he might play basketball for the Chargers, but I don't know that as fact.

We'll worry about that after football season.. Right now hes not too intersted in playing baseball, he wants to concentrate on football

I would agree that football is first and foremost on his mind, and will be his ticket to play collegiately.

thanks for everything the charger fans, the booster club, woods memorial, Thomas contracting, and all others who gave money for serge foster.. it was a great gesture and it will be greatly appreciated by serge and his family.. once again thanks for everything /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

thanks for everything the charger fans, the booster club, woods memorial, Thomas contracting, and all others who gave money for serge foster.. it was a great gesture and it will be greatly appreciated by serge and his family.. once again thanks for everything /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think this just goes to show that there are more important things in life than football. I know Polk would do the same for one of our players if something like this happened. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good luck the rest of the way.

I agree with the other poster who replied to you - in light of Mr. Foster and his family's situation, the football game was only for our entertainment value. A larger emphasis was placed this week on raising money for the Foster family, not the game.

They'll remain in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us informed about him and tem!