Grace Christian Academy gives 6K to their opponents

CosbyEagle

story and video here:

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?...920&catid=2

Grace Christian Academy wrapped up their first annual homecoming penny drive this week. Their mission was to collect and donate money to a group or charity of their opponent's choice.

Their opponent this year was the Jellico High School Blue Devils.

"We wanted to donate the money to something within the Jellico community in Jellico High School's honor," said Kristi Stewart, a GCA faculty member. "We heard that one of the families at Jellico High School's house burned down."

With a recipient in mind, GCA students brought in their extra change for a week. That money added up to a whopping $4,500. Grace Baptist Church pitched in $1,500 more.

The $6,000 gift was given to Eva Lay and her six kids from Jellico during a special ceremony at Friday's football game.

The Lay family lost their house to a fire in late September. They are currently living with family members. Two of the six children are students at Jellico High School.

"I'll never be able to express my feelings and be able to thank everybody enough for what they did for me and my family," Eva Lay said.

GCA hopes to make the penny drive a homecoming tradition

I know TGCA did his best to get on here and tarnish the reputation of grace but this story says a lot about the students, faculity and parents of GCA.

Just thought I would post this as a FYI (Cosby is still gonna hit 'em in the mouth on Halloween : /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> )

Doesn't surprise me. Grace Christian Academy continues to live up to its name with another "grace"ful act. And, before you ask, no I am not an employee at Grace and have no family member involved there in any capacity. Having coached at two other schools in the area, I have always been impressed by, and appreciated, the hospitality shown by members of Grace's coaching staff, parents/fans, and their athletic director, whenever we have played them during the regular season and during tournaments at our school and theirs.

Truly a classy group of people!

What a life lesson (their gift to the Lay family of Jellico) that we can all glean from!

---rSquared

Doesn't surprise me. Grace Christian Academy continues to live up to its name with another "grace"ful act. And, before you ask, no I am not an employee at Grace and have no family member involved there in any capacity. Having coached at two other schools in the area, I have always been impressed by, and appreciated, the hospitality shown by members of Grace's coaching staff, parents/fans, and their athletic director, whenever we have played them during the regular season and during tournaments at our school and theirs.

Truly a classy group of people!

What a life lesson (their gift to the Lay family of Jellico) that we can all glean from!

---rSquared

Classy Act. True. But as for the rest of your post, I would have to strongly disagree.

When I read the title of this post I thought it meant that they ran the score up on someone 6,000 - 0 /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

That was a great thing to do though, I had someone I work with have their house burn down and its a tough situation to deal with.