MBA-Ryan Classic Rivalry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you would be wondering how a FB player could be good in the classroom! LOL

You may not have seen the play, Ryan punted and the MBA player let it bounce. The official blew the whistle, and marked the ball where it hit. I assumed that the ball hit a Ryan player as it came down and that is why the official blew the whistle. Instead they let Ryan re-punt the ball from the same line of scrimmage, with no penalty called...it was a "do-over". There was no explanation.

Sure we won big, but we have had a lot of really badly refed games this season. I usually don't rip the refs, but this year they have been really bad. They need better training or something because they are making a lot of mistakes, not just tonight but all season. I watched a lot closer last year because my son was playing and it was not nearly as bad as it has been this year. Maybe MBA has just been unlucky and gotten the bad crews.

History note: this is MBA's most lopsided victory in the 75 game series (77 games if you count the two games with Ryan's precursor school).

This rivalry has, needless to say, lost its luster. This was a pretty tight series when Division II started, and now it's a runaway. Even Alcoa has beaten mighty Maryville more recently in their long rivalry. Nevertheless, I know we old fans (and older, KW) know how special wins over Ryan are, even the midst of a long winning streak. Hopefully Ryan getting its own stadium in a few years will renew some of the fire in the series. This is too old of a rivalry not to have the passion it once had.

Father Ryan gave Ensworth all they could handle last week.

Can they rise up and salvage their season with a win over MBA?

How does MBA come off of a bye week with Ryan, McCallie and the playoffs ahead?

To answer my own questions that started this thread: 1) No. and 2) MBA looked rested and like the same team that beat Moeller. The week off after a very rigorous schedule really looked like it paid huge dividends.

History note: this is MBA's most lopsided victory in the 75 game series (77 games if you count the two games with Ryan's precursor school).

This rivalry has, needless to say, lost its luster. This was a pretty tight series when Division II started, and now it's a runaway. Even Alcoa has beaten mighty Maryville more recently in their long rivalry. Nevertheless, I know we old fans (and older, KW) know how special wins over Ryan are, even the midst of a long winning streak. Hopefully Ryan getting its own stadium in a few years will renew some of the fire in the series. This is too old of a rivalry not to have the passion it once had.

If my nurse will assist me out of my chair, somebody's gonna get hit with a cane!

For all the rivalry hoopla and my genuine dislike for FR football, it is a bit puzzling. they seem to have pretty good athletes, all their other athletic programs are top flight, their freshman football team is always competitive...what's the problem? I know that JPII's opening split an already relatively small Catholic population, and there are a lot more private school alternatives than there used to be. Still, you would think if that were the issue, it would affect other sports as well.

If my nurse will assist me out of my chair, somebody's gonna get hit with a cane!

all their other athletic programs are top flight, their freshman football team is always competitive...

MBA freshman beat them 31-7 on thursday. It was 21-0 after 90 seconds and then MBA started subbing. MBA probly would have ended up close to 100. Last year's score was 42-0. The future does not look too bright either for Ryan.

MBA freshman beat them 31-7 on thursday. It was 21-0 after 90 seconds and then MBA started subbing. MBA probly would have ended up close to 100. Last year's score was 42-0. The future does not look too bright either for Ryan.

I have no idea about this year's freshman team, but the Ryan team that MBA beat 42-0 was unbeaten going into the game. They just ran into a much better team.

For all the rivalry hoopla and my genuine dislike for FR football, it is a bit puzzling. they seem to have pretty good athletes, all their other athletic programs are top flight, their freshman football team is always competitive...what's the problem? I know that JPII's opening split an already relatively small Catholic population, and there are a lot more private school alternatives than there used to be. Still, you would think if that were the issue, it would affect other sports as well.

Guess who won the parocial league football championship a few days ago. The St. Joseph Bulldogs. Guess where 99% of that team will go to school, not Ryan. The only consolation is it will take alot more than St Joseph athletes to help the headmaster school. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have to give credit to Ole Dad, he sure knows how to get off a sinking ship. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I think Ole Dad was/is always more of a fan of the captain (BL) than the ship (FRHS). I'm sure if his captain made it back to his "oaken" ship (which apparently is being overtaken by swashbucklers currently), Father Ryan threads would lose at least a couple of posters.