Sequoyah Football

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sequoyah Chiefs Football team has made a great turnaround from last year. We are not having a winning season but we have won 3 games so far this year. More than we have in a season in the past 4 years. Do you believe we are on the comeback trail??? Yes or No.

Looking a lot better. Good job against Polk, I picked the upset - but oh,well. Not to change your thread (?), but just wondering your thoughts on which team is better PC or MC.

Good Luck the rest of the way Seq. will be fine next year.

Can they still make the playoffs?

I'd like to think so. If given time, which no other coach at Sequoyah has been given, there is no doubt in my mind that Coach Saterfield will build a strong program. Next year will be a crucial year for Sequoyah fans. They will return only 2 starters on offense and 2 on defense (#57 being one of each). That's not to say that the kids playing behind them aren't as tallented, but you can't replace experience. If they can have a season next year similar or better to this year, then we will have definitely turned a corner. I'm afraid the fan base will be impatient as in the past and not let the program develop.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had either (a) the previous coaching staff was still intact, or (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Coach Satterfield been hired early enough to go through spring practice and hire the coaching staff he wanted. Now don't get bent out of shape people. I am not talking down the current staff. We all know, however, that he only had 3-4 weeks to get a staff in place and may not have been able to do exactly like he wanted. Then again, he may have. Who knows? It is just a thought.

I'd like to think so. If given time, which no other coach at Sequoyah has been given, there is no doubt in my mind that Coach Saterfield will build a strong program. Next year will be a crucial year for Sequoyah fans. They will return only 2 starters on offense and 2 on defense (#57 being one of each). That's not to say that the kids playing behind them aren't as tallented, but you can't replace experience. If they can have a season next year similar or better to this year, then we will have definitely turned a corner. I'm afraid the fan base will be impatient as in the past and not let the program develop.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had either (a) the previous coaching staff was still intact, or (B) Coach Satterfield been hired early enough to go through spring practice and hire the coaching staff he wanted. Now don't get bent out of shape people. I am not talking down the current staff. We all know, however, that he only had 3-4 weeks to get a staff in place and may not have been able to do exactly like he wanted. Then again, he may have. Who knows? It is just a thought.

Just wanted to correct you a little. We will have 3 returning starters on offense all lineman and return 4 on defense with 2 others who have seen extensive time on the field this year and last. What will hurt is replacing the skill people. The entire starting backfield and recieving core will be new.

Looking a lot better. Good job against Polk, I picked the upset - but oh,well. Not to change your thread (?), but just wondering your thoughts on which team is better PC or MC.

Yes they still can make the playoffs but it's a slim chance. We have Howard and Meigs left to play and we would need to beat both in order to have a chance. Also Notre Dame has Grundy and Polk left to play and they would need to lose one of those games. East Ridge has Tellico and Grundy left to play and if I understood the TSSAA handbook correctly they have a chance if they win out and Seq. and ND win 1 of thier remaining 2 games leaving all three tied with 4 region wins and each beating the other. The second tie breaker then would go to the team with the best over-all record and that would be East Ridge. Confusing to say the least.

As for your second question, both teams are very good but I would have to give the nod to MC. The interesting thing is that Polk has a very good inside running game and MC can be vulnerable up the middle. Then on the other hand MC has a very good passing game while Polk is lacking in defending the pass. So with that plus all the rivalry stuff it should make for an interesting game.

I think Polk has better defense, If Polk can make them drive the field(no big plays) Polk can win. I know Coach Davis will use ball control to keep offense off the field. Eliminating big plays for MC will be key

Just wanted to correct you a little. We will have 3 returning starters on offense all lineman and return 4 on defense with 2 others who have seen extensive time on the field this year and last. What will hurt is replacing the skill people. The entire starting backfield and recieving core will be new.

Sorry about that. Forgot about #79. I forgot a couple on defense, too. #57, #85, #66, and #45? I spend so much time at the games paying attention to down, distance, who runs, who tackles I don't get to really look and see who's out there.

I think they have by looking at the schedule there better then I thought if you look at there games they lost they where in the game

Sweetwater Lost 28-42

at Gatlinburg-Pittman Lost 14-20

McMinn Central Lost 12-28

at Notre Dame Lost 13-20

East Ridge Won 30-6

at Tellico Plains Won 37-13

Grundy Co. Won 42-12

at Polk Co. Lost 0-16

2007 Record 2-8

Offense- we averaged 16.9 points per game

Deffense - we gave up a average of 28.8 points per game

2008 Record 3-5

Offense- we are averaging 22 points per game

Deffense - we are giving up 19.6 points per game

We are still in the playoff Hunt! I think we have shown improvement this year! There is no doubt we have been more competitive in 2008! Keep working hard Guys! Go Chiefs! Your future is bright!

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had either (a) the previous coaching staff was still intact, or (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Coach Satterfield been hired early enough to go through spring practice and hire the coaching staff he wanted. Now don't get bent out of shape people. I am not talking down the current staff. We all know, however, that he only had 3-4 weeks to get a staff in place and may not have been able to do exactly like he wanted. Then again, he may have. Who knows? It is just a thought.

Good post! Coach S. will need to be given time. Sequoyah has been a revolving door for coaches since the school has been built. We will never be able to build a program if the coaches are not given the time to. At the end of last season and seeing this team this spring I really thought we had a real chance of winning 6 to 8 games this year. After what happened in the summer it really set this team back. These kids keep paying the price for the adults problems. Now I am not downing coach Satterfield at all, I think he will do a good job if allowed the time to do it. He came into a tuff spot. It was already summer, he had no coaches, and was wondering if we would even have a team.

I agree with you J. that we need to be patient. One would think that coach will probably try to hire some more coaches. I don't know which coaches will be on this staff next year, they had to do what they could for this season. I also agree with you that this team loses alot of good Seniors. I am alos not knocking the kids behind them, but it will be alot of positions to fill. I think next year will almost be like starting over, so it will be hard to tell where the program is. I do know this, It will take some time for this program to turn a corner. We need to let coach S. and whoever is on his staff do their jobs and leave them alone, if we like them or not. If we don't then this program will go no where.